V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hello all BS officiendos, I took the plunge and customized the exhaust on my 1.5 OB. Short version is, it sounds surprisingly awesome! Compared to the anemic sound coming from the gargantuan OEM muffler that is. Now I know there are plenty of nay sayers thinking why waste good money on something that at the most will gain u 5 or 6 extra hp. For me it was just to refine the sound, maybe gain a mile a gallon in the process.
Some back story first. I'm a old school 60s and 70s V8 guy. I've had Ford and Chevy SM & BB V8s, did a lot of playing around with headers, cross over pipes and every type of muffler imaginable. So I know a little about what works and what doesn't when it comes to sound. If someone told me I would be tweaking a 3 cylinder exhaust system one day I would most likely say they were high.
Flash forward to 2022, I'm tweaking on a 3 cyl. exhaust. I started behind the rear axle and added a Y, from there I welded on two 12" Vibrant Ultra Quiet SS Muffler /Resonators. Angled straight out the bumper slots and finished it off with two 3" ceramic black tips. The stainless mufflers with the back tips really makes it look good if you are back ten feet or so.
Is there any way to compare a 3 cyl with a dualed off V8, not in any stretch of the imagination can u compare. But from my worn out ears perspective it does sound good. Did I gain a noticible amount of power, a little, especially in sport mode. Not sure about mileage yet as I'm having too much fun now driving like I'm going to a fire. I'll let you know when I make my upcoming cross country drive on any mileage gain. Two final notes, only drone noise is on cold starts. It goes away when it idles down. City and Hwy cruising I hear a deep, smooth, low bass like sound. Pleasant even with the music off. On the intake side I added K&N filter. So to finish off, it is fun to customize, feel all giddy like I did when I was 17 and couldn't wait to go burn some rubber. No rubber burning nowdays but still fun.
Cost:
2X Vibrant SS 2.25" Ultra Quiet Mufflers, $216 (Amazon)
2X Black 3" Ceramic Tips, $50 (local muffler shop)
2X Hangers, $12
2X 45 degree elbows, $15
1X Y, $15
3 feet of 2.25" pipe, $10
Less than one hour to install.

Ford Bronco Sport Custom Exhaust 20220324_191559

Ford Bronco Sport Custom Exhaust 20220324_191651
Sponsored

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
Hello all BS officiendos, I took the plunge and customized the exhaust on my 1.5 OB. Short version is, it sounds surprisingly awesome! Compared to the anemic sound coming from the gargantuan OEM muffler that is. Now I know there are plenty of nay sayers thinking why waste good money on something that at the most will gain u 5 or 6 extra hp. For me it was just to refine the sound, maybe gain a mile a gallon in the process.
Some back story first. I'm a old school 60s and 70s V8 guy. I've had Ford and Chevy SM & BB V8s, did a lot of playing around with headers, cross over pipes and every type of muffler imaginable. So I know a little about what works and what doesn't when it comes to sound. If someone told me I would be tweaking a 3 cylinder exhaust system one day I would most likely say they were high.
Flash forward to 2022, I'm tweaking on a 3 cyl. exhaust. I started behind the rear axle and added a Y, from there I welded on two 12" Vibrant Ultra Quiet SS Muffler /Resonators. Angled straight out the bumper slots and finished it off with two 3" ceramic black tips. The stainless mufflers with the back tips really makes it look good if you are back ten feet or so.
Is there any way to compare a 3 cyl with a dualed off V8, not in any stretch of the imagination can u compare. But from my worn out ears perspective it does sound good. Did I gain a noticible amount of power, a little, especially in sport mode. Not sure about mileage yet as I'm having too much fun now driving like I'm going to a fire. I'll let you know when I make my upcoming cross country drive on any mileage gain. Two final notes, only drone noise is on cold starts. It goes away when it idles down. City and Hwy cruising I hear a deep, smooth, low bass like sound. Pleasant even with the music off. On the intake side I added K&N filter. So to finish off, it is fun to customize, feel all giddy like I did when I was 17 and couldn't wait to go burn some rubber. No rubber burning nowdays but still fun.
Cost:
2X Hangers, $12
2X 45 degree elbows, $15
1X Y, $15

Looks good

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Now I know there are plenty of nay sayers thinking why waste good money on something that at the most will gain u 5 or 6 extra hp. For me it was just to refine the sound, maybe gain a mile a gallon in the process.
I'm glad to hear you like the sound; the EcoBoost line of engines incorporates the exhaust manifold into the head making it difficult to get decent sounds out of the exhaust. I'm curious about your claims regarding performance gains. Is this a manufacturer claim or did you get before & after measurements?

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I'm glad to hear you like the sound; the EcoBoost line of engines incorporates the exhaust manifold into the head making it difficult to get decent sounds out of the exhaust. I'm curious about your claims regarding performance gains. Is this a manufacturer claim or did you get before & after measurements?
HI, pure ass guess on hp. I have a Freeway on ramp that I based it on. Before the change I reached the top from a dead stop to 80. Now I reach it at 85. I noticed the turbo spins up much quicker than before also. As far as numbers go, it's a low tech observation.

Reactions: Jrl

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
HI, pure ass guess on hp. I have a Freeway on ramp that I based it on. Before the change I reached the top from a dead stop to 80. Now I reach it at 85. I noticed the turbo spins up much quicker than before also. As far as numbers go, it's a low tech observation.
Assuming the on ramp is a typical 1/4 mile or so, that's a significant change in trap speed. Physics tells us it takes a given amount of power to accelerate a given mass to a given speed within a given distance, and there is a formula to compute the numbers. Here's an online calculator that does all the math; you can play with the numbers yourself. I used 3700 lbs for vehicle weight, which would be about right for the vehicle with just the driver in the car (curb weight of 3500 lb + 200 lb driver). The math suggests you would need much more than five or six horsepower to achieve your observed increase in trap speed.

The PCM in these vehicles uses a "torque demand" engine control strategy. That means the engine produces a given amount of available power based on pedal position. The only time that's not the case is with the pedal on the floor, which is how I assume you conducted your testing. At max demand, the engine produces the maximum available power based on ambient conditions (outside air temp, barometric pressure, engine temp, fuel octane, etc.). Given the difference in speed you observed would require an increase of nearly 30 horsepower, I suspect it had more to do with the difference in conditions than any increase in power attributable to a change in the exhaust system.

I've been operating EcoBoost engines for the better part of a decade, and I've tried to keep abreast of the latest developments in bolt-on performance upgrades. What I've found over the years is the Ford must have really done its homework in developing the intake and exhaust systems for these vehicles, because I've yet to see any independent testing show an aftermarket intake or cat-back exhaust system improve on stock power. If anyone has actual dyno testing data to show otherwise I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Good info, there are a lot of variables that need to be considered. For a real time street test even the amount of fuel, full versus a quarter of a tank makes a difference. For sure I didn't gain 30 hp, with that I did gain enough to be noticeable at the steering wheel. Again thanks for the information, good stuff.

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Good info, there are a lot of variables that need to be considered. For a real time street test even the amount of fuel, full versus a quarter of a tank makes a difference. For sure I didn't gain 30 hp, with that I did gain enough to be noticeable at the steering wheel. Again thanks for the information, good stuff.
Unfortunately I don't have a baseline to compare too.

Buck Savage

Base
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Well I just ordered an exhaust from Magna pro...it's a cat back system that looks pretty easy to install...looking for that sound not so much performance..anyone out there install this yet?

Buck Savage

Base
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks like you guys have a bit more knowledge than this weekend diy guy...your setup looks great!

Fordson04

Big Bend
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks great. Heck I'd pay to have something like that done!

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Cost:
2X Hangers, $12
2X 45 degree elbows, $15
1X Y, $15

Can you post a recording of the sound?

Budstang2k5

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands / 2018 Ford F150 5.0
I have been toying with the idea to place a catback system on the Badlands, just afraid it will sound like a rice burner with a fart pipe, just not gonna be happy spending $400 - $1000 and then not like the sound. Listened to the online representation on the Borla and Magna Flow sites, but no replacement for the real deal. Maybe someone in Colorado has done this already and I can review.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Op, I hear ya.
I just can’t get myself to the point where I think hopping up a three banger would be worth it.
I guess I just don’t feel the need to make my BS Base louder, deeper, or throatier, izzat even a word ?
I like the quiet of stock and definitely will never push my engine into the top 10-15% of its performance range where the extra five or six horsepower will be felt.
If I wanted to mod I’d mod the lower end power. For example:
Again IMHO sport mode sucks if I let it shift in the 2,500 to 3,000 rpm range.
Sport mode works great in the 3,500 to 5,000 rpm range.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Cost:
2X Hangers, $12
2X 45 degree elbows, $15
1X Y, $15

Great looking system. I'd buy one in a minute.
Sponsored