Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My posts are predicated on the assumption your concern centers around too much pressure in the crankcase. My assumption is that Ford set the spec for the seals based on test data such that the seals cannot be damaged by the maximum expected pressure. This seems like a good assumption to me given that Ford has been designing, manufacturing, and marketing durable turbocharged engines as the engine of choice for the majority of its fleet for over a decade.

The dog fart analogy makes it appear you are concerned more about contaminants than pressure. If that's the case the analogy is inaccurate. As soon as you close the throttle the air in the crankcase is immediately evacuated through the PCV system. For your analogy the dog fart would be only a brief annoyance that would be immediately remedied by opening the windows.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
My posts are predicated on the assumption your concern centers around too much pressure in the crankcase.
I really have no way to judge to pressure levels. Presently I have zilch to work with aside from claims of blowby. Just how much is occurring? Your guess is as good as mine.
Going back to the original post the video describes a rather simplified means of tackling excess waste gases. While it ignores the emissions concern it does seem to present the user a benefit of a reduced pressure zone effect.
Ford Bronco Sport Crankcase under boost conditions 1650833445805

Johnkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, Viper, 66 GT350, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera,
These boosted motors vent excess crankcase pressure (and vapors) through the PCV system into the intake track. The PCV also helps to scavenge the gases to some degree. If anyone has a concern, a catch can be used inline with the PCV. A number of quality catch cans are available and will help contain the residual moisture/fuel/oil mix in order to help keep it from accumulating on the tops of the intake valves. The downside is that the catch can cup will need to be emptied periodically, but that a simple 2 minute process. good luck...

Edited/corrected

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
These boosted motors vent excess crankcase pressure (and vapors) through the EGR system into the intake track. The EGR also helps to scavenge the gases to some degree. If anyone has a concern, a catch can be used inline with the EGR. A number of quality catch cans are available and will help contain the residual moisture/fuel/oil mix in order to help keep it from accumulating on the tops of the intake valves. The downside is that the catch can cup will need to be emptied periodically, but that a simple 2 minute process. good luck...
EGR? I believe its PCV as in Positive Crankcase Ventilation. EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculation, takes actual exhaust and routes it into the intake track and has zero to do with crank case pressure. PCV takes crankcase vapors and routes them into intake track. Catch can can prevent oily residue from going into intake track through the PCV system.

Excessive crankcase pressure caused by combustion gases blowing past piston rings and into crank case could over whelm PCV and cause seals gaskets to leak. Ford is well aware of this issue and does their best to engineer around it to prevent problems. However these are production engines so how well piston rings seal from one eng to the next varies.

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These boosted motors vent excess crankcase pressure (and vapors) through the EGR system into the intake track. The EGR also helps to scavenge the gases to some degree. If anyone has a concern, a catch can be used inline with the EGR. A number of quality catch cans are available and will help contain the residual moisture/fuel/oil mix in order to help keep it from accumulating on the tops of the intake valves. The downside is that the catch can cup will need to be emptied periodically, but that a simple 2 minute process. good luck...
Well damn,
Lol, that’s what happens when you’re up all night. Yes PCV, thanks....

Ford Bronco Sport Crankcase under boost conditions 1650849998151

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
Question

I'm wondering if anyone has any input regarding crankcase pressures under boost conditions
The goal of my inquiry is to determine if it is beneficial to add a ball check breather
Finding intel online is not readily available or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots

Vid describes crankcase pressures under full throttle boost conditions
PCV system vacuum drops while blowby pressure increases
Crankcase pressure increase
Detrimental to seals

Ball check breather seems to make sense
Wondering if the Dragon 1.5 has a function to address this pressure issue already

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Two quick vids
First one
pay attention at 4:30 mark

Second one
Ok, I'm old........ but I could have sworn a 1.5L ecoboost engine is 3 cylinder, that looks like a 4 cylinder in the second video!

Maybe time for new glasses...... 🤔

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I'm old........ but I could have sworn a 1.5L ecoboost engine is 3 cylinder, that looks like a 4 cylinder in the second video!

Maybe time for new glasses...... 🤔
Yeah, I picked up on the same thing. I'm guessing an engine from another model. <edit> I think he did mention 2018, pre-dating the BS and possibly port injection but to demonstrate the sludge and piston deposits it's an eye opener.

He's got a pretty interesting site. I plug into his channel and use the search for "1.5"
Plenty of material to source good info.
He seems like a solid reference for a wide range of engine related topics

Last edited:

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Who the frick do you think we are. Service Technicians?....take it to the dealer, stupid...

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
You guyz need to up off your recliners and go outside and play. You only get about 25,000 days then your gonna die.
22,000 or less if you keep sitting there sweating the small stuff.
Go OUTSIDE and play.
Jeez~o~ Pete…:’P

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guyz need to up off your recliners and go outside and play. You only get about 25,000 days then your gonna die.
22,000 or less if you keep sitting there sweating the small stuff.
Go OUTSIDE and play.
Jeez~o~ Pete…:’P
Holyshit!
23,471 / 25,000
**checks bucket list**
can I get an extension on that for good behavior?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
For the original poster, ignore the less then helpful posts. There are lots of enthusiasts like you with inquiring minds, that is the intent of this forum, that and to share experiences with the BS. Concerning the Catch Can: the videos are not of a 1.5 Dragon although the concept applies the same to the Dragon engine. The factory PCV mitigates the crankcase pressures adequately until it doesn't. On older engines with high miles you might start to see pressure issues such as leaks. On a new motor you shouldn't see any excess oil in the can. In colder climates you will see condensate mixed with oil vapors that looks kinda nasty but nothing to worry about.

The can allows u to see inside the engine without all the hight tech tools the big shops use. In the event u are driving hard in Sport Mode all the time u might see some oil, the can is supplementing the factory system. If you are seeing a can full of oil every fillup you have a problem which needs further investigation. Better yet if it's under warrenty let the dealer do their investigation and don't think the can is going to void the warrenty, it wont. But to avoid the hassle remove it before taking it in.
Sponsored