First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Take discussion over to the Focus ST or Focus RS boards. That where all the hot rodders engine builders hang out.

Ford has been aware of crank case pressures since 2010 and they attempt to mitigate it best they can. Mass produced engines every one will have different amount of piston ring blow by. So many engines are fine and some have looser tolerances.

I run a UPR Dual Valve catch can on my '16 F150 3.5 ecoboost. It traps tons of slimy gunk. Same debate on F150 forums ppl say not needed orhers say must have. So the debates are useless do your research and decide.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I’m nearing 22,000 days,
I figure imma doin ok but still,
I never trust a fart,
Never pass a bathroom,
And I never waste a har$@¥:’P

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember back in the day we would pull the pcv check valve and blow through it to see if it worked one way only.
Found em clogged up now and then.
Anyone remember how your engine ran after you changed out a clogged one ?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The can allows u to see inside the engine without all the hight tech tools the big shops use.
This is something I haven't considered; a catch can as a diagnostic tool. Interesting. If you are the type that changes your own oil you can accomplish the same thing by taking a sample for analysis. For my part I think I would rather use periodic oil sampling and avoid the hassle of installing and maintaining a catch can. I believe oil sampling will indicate the kind of problems that would lead to a full catch can long before you get a full catch can.

But to avoid the hassle remove it before taking it in.
As long as you know for a fact the catch can is properly installed I wouldn't mess with it. You are more likely to make a mistake with all the wrenching than you are to get dinged for installing an aftermarket product sold by Ford Performance. If your shop balks at a catch can it's time to find another shop.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
This is something I haven't considered; a catch can as a diagnostic tool. Interesting. If you are the type that changes your own oil you can accomplish the same thing by taking a sample for analysis. For my part I think I would rather use periodic oil sampling and avoid the hassle of installing and maintaining a catch can. I believe oil sampling will indicate the kind of problems that would lead to a full catch can long before you get a full catch can.

As long as you know for a fact the catch can is properly installed I wouldn't mess with it. You are more likely to make a mistake with all the wrenching than you are to get dinged for installing an aftermarket product sold by Ford Performance. If your shop balks at a catch can it's time to find another shop.
The UPR CC I use is plug and play, all u need is a Allen wrench for the mounting post. A ten minute install, really simple. I only use oil analysis when I suspect a problem. So far no reason to suspect a problem.
I just had my oil changed this morning at my Ford Dealer. The tech called me over and wanted to know about the can I had. He just bought a new Mustang and mentioned how cool the UPR looked, he already had a good grasp of the technology but was on the fence about which can to buy. Service manager walked by and also made a positive comment. Short story, my dealership is okay with a can, actually endorses the use of them. Other dealers, you never know.

Last edited:

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Question

I'm wondering if anyone has any input regarding crankcase pressures under boost conditions
The goal of my inquiry is to determine if it is beneficial to add a ball check breather
Finding intel online is not readily available or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots

Vid describes crankcase pressures under full throttle boost conditions
PCV system vacuum drops while blowby pressure increases
Crankcase pressure increase
Detrimental to seals

Ball check breather seems to make sense
Wondering if the Dragon 1.5 has a function to address this pressure issue already

Short answer no you want that vacuum. Besides the pcv already is a check valve and there is a 2nd pcv line for when your under boost that goes to the intake pipe just for this put in a catch can and leave it.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The real value of oil analysis is identifying trends.
The Ford PCV system is more than adequate for the 1.5. The catch can add on looks nice but is really window dressing. Boost pressure generally isn't an issue, ie, blown seals, leaking gaskets, etc on newer engines. Older engines or engines continually run hard will see more problems, the 1.5 engineering mitigates excess pressure and blowby thru a very well engineered system. There is a few good YouTube videos that explain it in detail, worth watching. I installed a Catch Can over 7000 miles ago, to date its captured a teaspoon of oil. That shows how good the integral system works. If you are running your 1.5 in Sport Mode all the time or towing a lot you might see more issues down the road but for a daily driver you won't see any boost pressure issues until you get over 100k.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dead on is post #39
I’ve said it before. I’ll use the blend motor craft oil, service it every 5k for $39 and trade in before 100,000 miles from now on.
This add on is smoke and mirrors nothing more.
For the 1.5L Box Stock Is the way.
Sponsored