Consumer Reports pans the Sport in the latest issue.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
That list is total bullsh1t when did anyone ever see a mazda cx5 offroad?!
we all could have bought some boring 1500 moms drive the kids to soccer practice crvs or subarus. Kia!? Effing kia!?!?!?
consumer reports lost a lot of cred with me just now.
These lists are unhelpful but easy to produce in order to move magazines or get clicks. Without a 'buyer persona,' why even compare a CX-5 to a Bronco Sport? As someone who test drove almost half those vehicles over the past year, the article in question would not have helped my research or influenced my decision.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
there was a time Consumer Reports provided indepth and valuable review of products. That was when I was in Junior High back in the 70s
Yeah, now its hey lets put the super boring yawn yawn jelly bean SUVs at top of the list. No mention of Bronco Sports getting unloaded from car carriers with lines of buyers waiting to buy every unit Ford can make.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yeah, now its hey lets put the super boring yawn yawn jelly bean SUVs at top of the list. No mention of Bronco Sports getting unloaded from car carriers with lines of buyers waiting to buy every unit Ford can make.
And as I often would be, I agree with your sentiments...good...hey everyone look at the pretty jellybeans consumer reports said this is the best soccer utility vehicle out there...buy a Subaru!!. Save the boring broncos for those outcasts.

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
there was a time Consumer Reports provided indepth and valuable review of products. That was when I was in Junior High back in the 70s
I totally agree. I used to be a loyal subscriber many years ago. I tried a subscription a couple of years ago and the magazine is nothing like it used to be. They do not even come close to the rigorous testing they used to do.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
keep in mind, CR didn't test the Badlands or FE so their assessment is flawed at best
Yeah to a point it is, but perhaps they tried to compare apples to apples and the Big Bend was as close to the competition as possible with the badlands/first editions out of their league? I'm purely speculating.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
You can also see that they put the Jeep Compass dead last. The testing they did is not what the target audience Jeep and Bronco Sport care about. On road comfort, noise, mpg, stopping distance, etc. Basically everything catered to the CUV of the suburbs not the one hitting back roads and trails.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
keep in mind, CR didn't test the Badlands or FE so their assessment is flawed at best
There are enough differences from Outer Banks vs Badlands that it's almost like comparing a F150 to a Tremor or even an almost Raptor.

They obviously don't know the Badlands has 70 more HP, HOSS (with all that entails), more ground clearance, deeper water fording, skid plates, front tow hooks, offroad rubber, twin clutch rear, front camera, extra GOATs and trail control.

Quite a bit for half axed CR car reviewers to comprehend.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Why do people even read CR??? It’s nothing but paid advertising crap. Never a proper review of anything.
You are wrong. They raise their money. They accept no advertising. Their critiques have helped improve cars over the decades. I agree they are not spot on with the Bronco Sport. I have no noticeable vibration at 1500 rpm they mention. They also come at the Sport from a different perspective than an owner. Everything in this form doesn't apply to everyone. But it can help understand our Sports.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Here's what I found out from actual road testing. It's not thorough, but I don't charge for publication:

Drives on paved roads- âś…
Drives on gravel- âś…
Drives in sand- âś…
Hauls my family- âś…
Hauls my stuff- âś…
Safety Features- âś…
Styling makes crowds of people turn around and point at it- âś…

Summary- does the stuff you'd expect a car in this category to do in a capable way. Probably has or will develop issues similar to any comparable car. A real review won't come from a collection of Facebook posts about catching rocks with the windshield or noisy tires. If you wanted a silent ride, you shopped the wrong class of car, not the wrong model. Mine has A/T tires and the ride is considerably quieter than I expected it to be. So quiet, I can hear the turbo and transmission operating. If you need to load 5 people, this is the wrong class of vehicle. But I bet 4 adults could carpool with it. If MPG is the deal, you're still in the wrong class and should be shopping E or mopeds.
Sponsored