Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have an Outer Banks with the temporary mini spare tire. If i want to replace it with a 225/60R18 full size spare and still keep the the original cargo floor and cargo tray in their original positions, what are the limiting factors? Is it possible?
Thanks,
Joe in NH
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have an Outer Banks with the temporary mini spare tire. If i want to replace it with a 225/60R18 full size spare and still keep the the original cargo floor and cargo tray in their original positions, what are the limiting factors? Is it possible?
Thanks,
Joe in NH
1) You'll have to use the upper setting for the trunk floor height. This is the main reason why I'm getting a full size spare: my cargo setup doesn't work at the lower level, and the upper level doesn't stay put without resting on a full-size spare. Not driving on a donut spare is also cool :)

2) The 225/60-18 should fit however the tow package (which includes a full-size spare) for OB and BB with 18'' wheels actually comes with a 225/65-17 spare -- to be on the extra safe side, you should verify how the 18'' spare fits at the dealer or tire store. Worst-case, you get the 225/65-17 which is 'close enough' and still beats a donut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) You'll have to use the upper setting for the trunk floor height. This is the main reason why I'm getting a full size spare: my cargo setup doesn't work at the lower level, and the upper level doesn't stay put without resting on a full-size spare. Not driving on a donut spare is also cool :)

2) The 225/60-18 should fit however the tow package (which includes a full-size spare) for OB and BB with 18'' wheels actually comes with a 225/65-17 spare -- to be on the extra safe side, you should verify how the 18'' spare fits at the dealer or tire store.
Would I have to remove the foam inserts?

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol yeah I would suggest that. Easy if you have a jack and jack stand.? I'm pretty confident a 235 fits mine. And again if not, osco took out the foam pretty easily. Problem solved
I just went out and looked the situation over. Looks like the foam is not in the way. I was thinking about pulling a wheel, but it is hot & muggy here today. A 225/65R17 is only 0.1" smaller in diameter than my 18's, which would sit 0.05" lower on the BS, neglible difference. Maybe somebody would sell me their 225/65R17 spare if they arent gonna use it.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Lol yeah I would suggest that. Easy if you have a jack and jack stand.? I'm pretty confident a 235 fits mine. And again if not, osco took out the foam pretty easily. Problem solved
yep, personally I would slap the spare on if I were to go rooting around in the rear but hey I could use one of my 8 jack stands. ?

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks,
Joe in NH
I put a full size spare in my OB today. Sumitomo HTR A/S P03, 225/65R17 on a Crager 83-7714 steel wheel. Amost identical diameter to the 18's on my OB. Tire fits in the spare well and the rear floor came out level when installed in the higher notches. Only problem is the spare tire mounting stud is too short, but the longer one for a full size spare is available. Thank you to all who helped me figure this out.
Sponsored