ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This is the first real intake system I've seen for the BS. I've seen lots of ppl throw the K&N filters claiming "gains"; which I'm very skeptical of. I've had a few intake systems installed on cars and had noticeable increase of HP. (Or maybe it was the $300+ I paid and I kept telling myself there were "gains" to justify my purchase)

I love how it's enclosed for when we splash around and get the engine bay muddy; the filter will stay dry 💪🤙

Has anyone installed this yet?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/50-70079d-21-22-bronco-sport-maverick-20l-afe-power-momentum-gt-cold-air-intake-system-with-pro-dry-s-filter.html

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L Screenshot_20220606-055348_Chrome
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Do these systems supposedly reduce intake restriction/resistance or provide a greater volume of air in some way? How does that factor in with a turbo charged vice naturally aspirated engine?

OP
OP
ChefDank

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Do these systems supposedly reduce intake restriction/resistance or provide a greater volume of air in some way? How does that factor in with a turbo charged vice naturally aspirated engine?
Not sure; I'm going to take a look on how the current air box pulls air in. I know when you have a "cone" filter the claim is more air because of the design. More "cold" air for the turbo is always a plus đź’Ş

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
If your doing for the sound i would just put the k&n.. if your doing for HP i wouldnt do at all. It will give such a little bit you wont notice.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The OEM intake for the engine appears to be as far forward as it can get; how much "colder" can it get?

Here's my question:

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L Screenshot_20220606-055348_Chrome

What does this mean? Yes, it can flow more air (apparently), but this is meaningless without knowing:
  1. how much air the engine requires.
  2. whether the engine's powertrain control module can take advantage of more air.
Ford has staked a lot on designing and selling powerful, small-displacement turbocharged engines. Anyone who knows anything about internal combustion engines knows the way to get most power is to optimize airflow. I'm skeptical Ford's designers would leave a 12-horsepower gain (what AFE claims for this product) on the table with a poorly designed intake system.

A clue perhaps?

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L CARBWarnin

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I'm skeptical Ford's designers would leave a 12-horsepower gain (what AFE claims for this product) on the table with a poorly designed intake system.
I'm not. This is done all the time in an effort to provide a potential "upgrade" in subsequent releases.

They could 'tweak' the intake (unbeknownst to the customer) and say, "In 2023, the Bronco Sport now has nearly 200-hp from the 3 cylinder and 265-hp out of 2.0L engine!"

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Just hope it doesn't cause an issue with warranty if it can in any way be blamed for a problem down the road.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I'm not. This is done all the time in an effort to provide a potential "upgrade" in subsequent releases.
Ford marketed the 2.0L EcoBoost in the 2015 Ford Edge (engine redesign around the twin-scroll turbocharger) as producing 245 hp and 275 lb ft torque. It advertises the 2022 Escape with 2.0L as producing 250 hp and 280 lb ft of torque, which is essentially the same as the Bronco Sport with a 2.0L (250 hp / 277 lb ft torque).

The same engine used in the 2018 Focus ST produces 252 hp and 270 lb ft torque.

It seems to me if Ford had any more headroom to increase power with this engine--especially with something easy like changes to the intake system--it would have done so for it's performance-oriented Focus ST, and it would certainly have done something with the Escape sometime in the last seven years.

Last edited:

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
With the advancements of mass air flow sensors, pcvs, and overall computing, without software tuning the engine these things are antiquated snake oil for the most part and may be more restrictive in some cases.

keep your air filter clean, and try a few different brands, but we’re talking microimprovements, if any here.

Deleted member 6599

There are reviews on their intake systems on Amazon for various vehicles if interested.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Bet you they can’t provide you with a dyno sheet for those numbers
Doesn't even matter as they have a CYA right there, "Max Gains." Covers their a$$ if the system only provides you 1hp, 1lb.ft torque.

CallMeBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Grey Badlands
Bet I can get similar HP Gains just by adding the stickers instead. :wink: :crackup:
Sponsored