BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If its anything like the intake scene for F150's it is purely for noise and makes no additional power gains on stock turbo
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Cold air,,, PMSL ,,, $300.00
Ok so now, can your hardware and or software use the new parts to make more power ?
Or do they reset everything so your engine Runs at the manufactures preset settings,,,
Like it did before as it was designed by some pretty big dollar super high tech facility with some experts sitting around wearing out some very high end equipment.
I’d hold onto my $300 and save double that up then look into turbo mods or tuning.
Increasing boost by 20% might be doable. At least we could without a doubt feel that !
Take the 1.5L past 200 on Horse power and Torque.
And then move the 2.0L into the 300’s for both Hp and Tq.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Ford marketed the 2.0L EcoBoost in the 2015 Ford Edge (engine redesign around the twin-scroll turbocharger) as producing 245 hp and 275 lb ft torque. It advertises the 2022 Escape with 2.0L as producing 250 hp and 280 lb ft of torque, which is essentially the same as the Bronco Sport with a 2.0L (250 hp / 277 lb ft torque).

The same engine used in the 2018 Focus ST produces 252 hp and 270 lb ft torque.

It seems to me if Ford had any more headroom to increase power with this engine--especially with something easy like changes to the intake system--it would have done so for it's performance-oriented Focus ST, and it would certainly have done something with the Escape sometime in the last seven years.
It's true - these K&N's are not designed, nor able, to work wonders - especially when carmakers are already optimizing the heck out of modern powertrains and air paths for their engine intakes. BUT - I still believe in the effectiveness of a basic K&N cone filter - if one can temper their expectations to something realistic. This article ( https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120932_do-performance-air-filters-actually-work ) sums it up well IMHO. They concluded a K&N (drop-in) is worth a few HP but not 15-20 HP. I noticed a little bump in throttle pep, and overall power when I put mine on this week for the first time. It's basically just the same cone K&N that I had on my 2015 Escape 2.0L, with the feed tube cut down to fit the BS BL 2.0L. I don't fret a lot about the underhood temps. I figure the engine bay is turbulent enough to provide reasonably cool air (which is cooled anyway by the intercooler). One thing I couldn't help but notice, was the pretty tiny intake nozzle coming into the original factory airbox. It's only about the same diameter as a burrito! Yikes. Anyway, I surely don't feel 15 HP more now - but I do notice an improvement and it sounds a little more sporty. Plus I never have to buy another air filter - just keep washing and oiling my same cone. Works for me.
Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L thumbnail_IMG_0561

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
It's true - these K&N's are not designed, nor able, to work wonders - especially when carmakers are already optimizing the heck out of modern powertrains and air paths for their engine intakes. BUT - I still believe in the effectiveness of a basic K&N cone filter - if one can temper their expectations to something realistic. This article ( https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120932_do-performance-air-filters-actually-work ) sums it up well IMHO. They concluded a K&N (drop-in) is worth a few HP but not 15-20 HP. I noticed a little bump in throttle pep, and overall power when I put mine on this week for the first time. It's basically just the same cone K&N that I had on my 2015 Escape 2.0L, with the feed tube cut down to fit the BS BL 2.0L. I don't fret a lot about the underhood temps. I figure the engine bay is turbulent enough to provide reasonably cool air (which is cooled anyway by the intercooler). One thing I couldn't help but notice, was the pretty tiny intake nozzle coming into the original factory airbox. It's only about the same diameter as a burrito! Yikes. Anyway, I surely don't feel 15 HP more now - but I do notice an improvement and it sounds a little more sporty. Plus I never have to buy another air filter - just keep washing and oiling my same cone. Works for me.
Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L thumbnail_IMG_0561
So, I started off looking for the Project Farm video that basically shows that K&N let a lot of dust through. Then I saw this other video from an old engine guy and decided to watch it.

In the end the guy says that the pulsing of the engine intake actually makes the fibers of the K&N move which in turn catches the dust. He says the Project Farm video is flawed because it doesn’t have the pulses. I started to think that a turbo engine is pretty similar to an electric fan, meaning there is little to no pulsing. I started reading through the comments and basically found mechanics saying their experience with turbo engines was exactly that. K&N filters do not work on turbo engines and too much debris will get through them and into the turbo or all the way into the cylinders.

BTW, that filter you pictured looks like it needs to be oiled. Maybe that is just an artifact of the camera but it doesn’t look like there is much oil on it. Not that it would help much in this case anyway.

It’s your vehicle and you are free to do as you please. I have seen too many tests with poor performance of the K&N in filtering. Now I know that a big reason for that is the steady state flow of most tests. I also know that turbo engines are very similar to those steady state tests.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I started off looking for the Project Farm video that basically shows that K&N let a lot of dust through. Then I saw this other video from an old engine guy and decided to watch it.

In the end the guy says that the pulsing of the engine intake actually makes the fibers of the K&N move which in turn catches the dust. He says the Project Farm video is flawed because it doesn’t have the pulses. I started to think that a turbo engine is pretty similar to an electric fan, meaning there is little to no pulsing. I started reading through the comments and basically found mechanics saying their experience with turbo engines was exactly that. K&N filters do not work on turbo engines and too much debris will get through them and into the turbo or all the way into the cylinders.

BTW, that filter you pictured looks like it needs to be oiled. Maybe that is just an artifact of the camera but it doesn’t look like there is much oil on it. Not that it would help much in this case anyway.

It’s your vehicle and you are free to do as you please. I have seen too many tests with poor performance of the K&N in filtering. Now I know that a big reason for that is the steady state flow of most tests. I also know that turbo engines are very similar to those steady state tests.
Interesting… and I know there’s a ton of discussion about K&N’s out there, both pro and con. I’m not saying they’re right for everyone - they’re not good if the owner can’t keep track of their own maintenance for example. But I’ve been using them for 23 years, without an issue. I do clean and oil mine regularly. My son’s car, also a turbo 4 of another make, has had a K&N drop-in since we bought it new in 2012. I change the oil myself most times. After 125k miles, it’s still not burning oil.
Sorry for the bad overexposed night photo of my Sport’s filter. Yep it’s oiled right, but thanks for your inputs.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is the first real intake system I've seen for the BS. I've seen lots of ppl throw the K&N filters claiming "gains"; which I'm very skeptical of. I've had a few intake systems installed on cars and had noticeable increase of HP. (Or maybe it was the $300+ I paid and I kept telling myself there were "gains" to justify my purchase)

I love how it's enclosed for when we splash around and get the engine bay muddy; the filter will stay dry 💪🤙

Has anyone installed this yet?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/50-70079d-21-22-bronco-sport-maverick-20l-afe-power-momentum-gt-cold-air-intake-system-with-pro-dry-s-filter.html

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L Screenshot_20220606-055348_Chrome
Will that really help in a place where air temperature is always between 82 and 100 degrees? Will it really produce any boost at all?

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
But I’ve been using them for 23 years, without an issue. I do clean and oil mine regularly. My son’s car, also a turbo 4 of another make, has had a K&N drop-in since we bought it new in 2012. I change the oil myself most times. After 125k miles, it’s still not burning oil.
I suspect the overwhelming majority of people who use K&N filters will never have an issue due to lack of filtration, but I also believe that's because the overwhelming majority will never take their cars off-road. If you plan to take your Bronco Sport off-road, especially if you plan to be in a group generating a lot of dust, then I would take the concerns about filtration efficiency much more seriously.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect the overwhelming majority of people who use K&N filters will never have an issue due to lack of filtration, but I also believe that's because the overwhelming majority will never take their cars off-road. If you plan to take your Bronco Sport off-road, especially if you plan to be in a group generating a lot of dust, then I would take the concerns about filtration efficiency much more seriously.
On this we can agree. I don't hardly ever plan to go off-road, or even on a dirt road (and my son doesn't either, in the other car I mentioned). I used to ride offroad motorcycles a lot... we had oiled foam pre-filters... and I'd clean those pretty much after every long ride. I think if I was going to drive my Sport in dust a lot, I'd again get an oiled pre-filter and clean it a lot just to be safe. Plus it'd be a lot simpler and quicker than removing my K&N cone to clean and oil it so often. It's been years now, but it seems like back when I had my '78 Chevy K5 Blazer, I used to do that. (Flipped old-school air cleaner lids FTW! :) )

Last edited:

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I would be curious to see how these numbers stand up when tested by an independent authority.
Thoughts? Wouldn't even be close? I don't have a lot of experience with CAI systems.
Sponsored