Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thoughts? Wouldn't even be close? I don't have a lot of experience with CAI systems.
Here's a photo of the 2.0L as installed in the Maverick:

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L ick-2-0l-engine-underhood-engine-compartment-3-

The AFE system essentially replaces the box you see at the bottom of the photo above. It houses the air cleaner. The duct you see running from the front of the box across the top of the engine bay feeds the box with air. As you can see, it scoops air from the grill just above the radiator. Based the photo of the AFE system, it does not appear to replace that duct, so it's getting cold air from the same place as the stock air filter box. So it's not really a cold air intake system, it's a replacement air filter box.

Whatever the AFE system is doing to gain horsepower over stock—the claim is six percent—is happening inside the air filter box. Seems unreasonable to me that a major automotive manufacturer that specializes in getting the most possible reliable power out of small-displacement engines can't figure out how to squeeze that last six percent of power with a better-designed air filter box.

So I'd be interested to see the AFE system tested by an independent body.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Some times OEM air boxes are designed to muffle intake noise at the expense of power. So some times aftermarket intakes add power on stock engine. And other times no additional power unless other mods like tune exhaust ect. So depends...

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Some times OEM air boxes are designed to muffle intake noise at the expense of power. So some times aftermarket intakes add power on stock engine. And other times no additional power unless other mods like tune exhaust ect. So depends...
It's possible. But given all the other strange noises these things make Ford doesn't seem to have prioritized noise attenuation.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
It's possible. But given all the other strange noises these things make Ford doesn't seem to have prioritized noise attenuation.
Ain’t that a fact.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Update on my open under-hood K&N cone: I've been driving it in 90F+ weather consistently now, and I'm still impressed with the bang-for-buck factor. I'm not convinced of the value of getting an enclosed unit such as the Stage 3 listed in this thread. But I can vouch for the definite increase in power, throttle response and just fun-factor, of an unrestricted intake on this 2.0L. I still look at my stock airbox sometimes in my basement, and now looking back, I'm kind of appalled at the incredibly small restriction (seriously, a squared oval about 2.5 inches across, for the entire intake flow) and the immediate right hand turn in the flow right after that restriction. My open cone is getting hotter air but much, much more of it - and I can feel the difference, even just rolling into half throttle when a light turns green. Well worth the cost IMHO.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Thoughts? Wouldn't even be close? I don't have a lot of experience with CAI systems.

My experience with AFE is as follows. I had the AFE Carbon Fibre CAI on my 2013 E92 M3, they claimed 12rwhp, on my car it made 9rwhp. However, an AFE cone filter drop in made 6rwhp, so the rest of the box only added 3rwhp. It did look nice and gave the car an even nicer intake growl when pushed. These cars revved to 8400rpm.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is the first real intake system I've seen for the BS. I've seen lots of ppl throw the K&N filters claiming "gains"; which I'm very skeptical of. I've had a few intake systems installed on cars and had noticeable increase of HP. (Or maybe it was the $300+ I paid and I kept telling myself there were "gains" to justify my purchase)

I love how it's enclosed for when we splash around and get the engine bay muddy; the filter will stay dry 💪🤙

Has anyone installed this yet?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/50-70079d-21-22-bronco-sport-maverick-20l-afe-power-momentum-gt-cold-air-intake-system-with-pro-dry-s-filter.html

Ford Bronco Sport Cold air intake for 2.0L Screenshot_20220606-055348_Chrome
How much HP you got with it?

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
These don't do a lick for performance on a MAP tuned vehicle. Save your money. Or worse, purchase an "open element CAI" and watch your charge temps skyrocket from all the engine heat your sucking in.

EricCif

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Everyone seems to forget that never having to buy cheap filters every year with these things pretty much makes them worth it. Got a Roush CIA on my Ranger and it makes a difference. In fairness I also installed a Roush exhaust which helps.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
It's your money, spend it as you wish.

Me/ I like the OEM cold air system my BS came with. No cleaning and re-oiling of a filter (K&N and others), just open the box and drop a new filter in when needed. Badda bing, badda boom.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Everyone seems to forget that never having to buy cheap filters every year with these things pretty much makes them worth it
Many CAI's still run a paper filter. The Airaid on my Mustang is a cone paper filter. It isn't cheap by any means.

And IMHO, to properly run an oiled filter, you should be cleaning and oiling it once a month. Yes, once a month. Otherwise, you increase the risk of increasing the amount of contaminants in your oil and engine. Don't get me wrong, I like oiled filters, but they are pain in the but, and they definitely aren't "set it and forget it" like many use them to be.

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
Everyone seems to forget that never having to buy cheap filters every year [...]
If you're changing your air filter every year, then you're doing something wrong ... or maybe you live in the middle of the Sahara desert.

K&N filters aren't maintenance free ... and K&N doesn't provide the cleaning fluid or the oil for free.

Get a K&N if you want. This isn't an anti-K&N post. But if you think you're saving money, then you're delusional. Perhaps at around a decade, you'll find a break-even point.

As for the original thread subject: CAI. On a tame, production car with everything else stock? How in the world is that supposed to do anything? You don't have to be a chemical engineer or an expert on thermodynamics to immediately know that a CAI serves only one purpose: aesthetics. If you like the way it looks and sounds, then get one. If you think a production vehicle with a stock engine will see performance benefits, then, well, you're going to have a difficult time in this life.

Last edited:

EricCif

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2020 Ranger Lariat
If you're changing your air filter every year, then you're doing something wrong ... or maybe you live in the middle of the Sahara desert.

K&N filters aren't maintenance free ... and K&N doesn't provide the cleaning fluid or the oil for free.

Get a K&N if you want. This isn't an anti-K&N post. But if you think you're saving money, then you're delusional. Perhaps at around a decade, you'll find a break-even point.

As for the original thread subject: CAI. On a tame, production car with everything else stock? How in the world is that supposed to do anything? You don't have to be a chemical engineer or an expert on thermodynamics to immediately know that a CAI serves only one purpose: aesthetics. If you like the way it looks and sounds, then get one. If you think a production vehicle with a stock engine will see performance benefits, then, well, you're going to have a difficult time in this life.
OK, but that's quite a bit about K&N when I wasn't talking about those. As stated I have a CAI on my Ranger so someone that doesn't like them telling me I will get no where in life because I say it makes a difference doesn't really bother me. But I'm 100% disabled vet with two degrees that is retired now so guess I won't fear not getting anywhere in life.
Sponsored

Last edited: