rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I believe Outerbanks/Badlands have a larger screen so the gauges had to be reconfigured to accommodate the screen size.

Some other post on the forum had a line of sight issue with the visor blocking out view through the windshield. Again, I think this related to the height of the driver seat.

I like to sit higher up, too, although I am average height and not over 6 feet tall. I have adjusted the seat height many times trying to find a sweet spot for comfort and vision.
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not to worry. According to medical science, and I quote, "starting in or around your 30s, you will gradually start to get shorter. Men between the ages of 30 and 70 can expect to lose up to an inch, while women can lose as much as two inches. And after age 80, both men and women can lose yet another inch. " So, someday you too will see the the gauges the same way as us shorter/older folks!
Have you been on this site long. I mean, if you have been reading much from the Great Curmudgeon, oops I meant Major Kong, you know he must be past those markers and is done shrinking. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

(I kid Mr Kong sir!!)

HUSBANDOFBS

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB
Tall? Relative. Some are taller waist down and some are taller waist up. This makes a huge diff. in automotive seating comfort arrangements. I'm taller waist down and pump my seats up for leg comfort and close to dash for arm comfort. In some vehicles, it's impossible to accommodate both sets of appendages so I must compromise.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Hhhmm. I guess BigBend Guages are different.

Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 073CE045-EEF4-4736-949A-03A26A5F035F
I definitely like the analog gauges better but then Iā€™m older than dirt so I just want to glance at it to see where it is, not look and read the actual value.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
I definitely like the analog gauges better but then Iā€™m older than dirt so I just want to glance at it to see where it is, not look and read the actual value.
Me too. Don't care for temp & fuel gauges in my OB. Anytime sun is shining on them, the little bars go totally invisible. Much prefer the analog gauges.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I wouldn't think one needs to be staring at temp fuel guage all the time? Wait till at stop light move head around check every once in a while. Don't think its necessary to be looking at them all the time is it?
Ex street racer, watching the temp gauge is permanently encoded into my psyche even after 30 years.
I don't stare at it but I know if it moves too high on the gauge.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I like to check the miles to empty to get a better understanding of remaining fuel opposed to the gauge. Simple button push, or has that been decontented on newer models.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I like to check the miles to empty to get a better understanding of remaining fuel opposed to the gauge. Simple button push, or has that been decontented on newer models.
Yes, Thatā€™s more useful now than the thin white line.

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Not to worry. According to medical science, and I quote, "starting in or around your 30s, you will gradually start to get shorter. Men between the ages of 30 and 70 can expect to lose up to an inch, while women can lose as much as two inches. And after age 80, both men and women can lose yet another inch. " So, someday you too will see the the gauges the same way as us shorter/older folks!
:DWell on my way there
Kong the Elder if you please
Ears getting bigger
Feet getting longer
Long in the tooth

Kritas.... (I saw what you did there):D

Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 1652380643231

Last edited:
OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you been on this site long. I mean, if you have been reading much from the Great Curmudgeon, oops I meant Major Kong, you know he must be past those markers and is done shrinking. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

(I kid Mr Kong sir!!)
Not to forget crotchety old bastard too I might add:D

How it should be......
Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 1652383095496

How it is........
Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 1652383175275

OP
OP
Major Kong

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to forget crotchety old bastard too I might add:D

How it should be......
Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 1652383095496

How it is........
Ford Bronco Sport Cluster F*** (flaw) 1652383175275
May I suggest that Ford consider a slight upward tilt of the screen for the full benefit towards all BS affecionado's

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
and looking at big bend vs badlands clusters...why...why don't they just use the same clusters?
This I canā€™t figure out. The few cents they save per cluster on having a smaller screen does add up over tens of thousands of vehicles, but still. Youā€™d think thereā€™d be no cost savings after the cost of designing 2 clusters & stocking 2 SKUs to go down the line are taken into consideration. Itā€™s not like many other vehicles donā€™t already give more screen real estate.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
This I canā€™t figure out. The few cents they save per cluster on having a smaller screen does add up over tens of thousands of vehicles, but still. Youā€™d think thereā€™d be no cost savings after the cost of designing 2 clusters & stocking 2 SKUs to go down the line are taken into consideration. Itā€™s not like many other vehicles donā€™t already give more screen real estate.
You are missing the ā€œincentiveā€ to upgrade. People want larger screens, so they will buy a higher spec model to get it. It might not be the one thing that makes a person to decide to upgrade but combined with other items it encourages.

You have to know that the thousands of extra dollars that Ford charges for a higher spec model over the base does not cost Ford anywhere near that much. Higher spec models have a higher profit margin, so any and all reasons to encourage people to choose those higher margin vehicles is what they are going to do. The real game is to figure out what level of upgraded features is necessary to get people to step up. Iā€™m betting there is a whole department of people dedicated to figuring that out.

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
You are missing the ā€œincentiveā€ to upgrade. People want larger screens, so they will buy a higher spec model to get it. It might not be the one thing that makes a person to decide to upgrade but combined with other items it encourages.

You have to know that the thousands of extra dollars that Ford charges for a higher spec model over the base does not cost Ford anywhere near that much. Higher spec models have a higher profit margin, so any and all reasons to encourage people to choose those higher margin vehicles is what they are going to do. The real game is to figure out what level of upgraded features is necessary to get people to step up. Iā€™m betting there is a whole department of people dedicated to figuring that out.
Not gonna lie, as someone already driving a BB, the larger screen in the instrument panel was one of my reasons for buying a BL

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

Yes, you are 100% right. Even with the current example I canā€™t deny that missing out on the screen is one reason a BB wasnā€™t in contention for me.
https://vin.dataonesoftware.com/vin_basics_blog/single-trim-vehicle-strategy-pros-and-cons
This article does back up just exactly what youā€™re saying too. The price differentiation & upsell does net profit that mightā€™ve otherwise been left on the table. Particularly when the manufacturerā€™s customer (dealers) and ultimate customer (you) who are used to American branded cars marketed this way.
Makes sense. If my budget max is $30K Ford has a BS to sell me. If my budget max is $40K though they prefer that since thereā€™s minimal marginal cost of providing the gingerbread necessary for me to spend another $10K on the same vehicle.
Sponsored