tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So over on Maverick Truck Club they've got a thread going about a cheap auto-dimming rearview mirror courtesy of Kia. Well, some of the mirrors they're finding also have Homelink buttons. I managed to nab this one from World Kia Parts for $14 and got it installed.

[Edit to add: They held my order to confirm a VIN, which delayed things a couple days. The part is in high demand. We're not the only forums that know about this. My first order elsewhere was cancelled due to lack of inventory. The VIN delay could have cost me a mirror. I had to explain to them my situation, but I could have avoided all of that by providing a VIN for a Kia Optima or something during checkout. If you go this route, figure out which cars the mirror goes to then find a used car for sale online and give them that VIN.]

They appear to be the same size, with same length neck, except the Homelink mirror is deeper. It will clear the black plastic shroud thing but just barely. You'll need the GENMM5 neck extender. You can find them on eBay for around $15 including shipping and tax.

Gentex makes the mirror. They also make the mirror in the BS. And basically every automotive mirror. The Gentex PN for this Kia mirror is GNTX-1124.

To install, all I had to do was snip the connector off my Ford mirror and solder it into the Kia wires. Then it was plug n play. I couldn't depin/repin because the BS mirror connector contains sockets while the Kia connector contains pins.

On the Ford mirror connector, there are five wires: green, yellow, black, gray, and white. The green and yellow wires go to empty pins. They do nothing. The black wire is ground. The gray wire is the reverse indicator circuit. When you put the BS in reverse, it sends a 12V signal to that wire. That tells the mirror to not dim. The white wire is a switched 12V source.

On the Kia mirror connector, there were four wires: gray, white, green, and black. Gray is the reverse indicator. White powers the hidden compass. Green powers the Homelink buttons. Black is ground. Either white or green also powers the auto-dimming.

You can't beat Homelink for under $50! You might be able to find some of these Kia mirrors at your local Kia/Hyundai dealers, online (the Maverick forum is doing a good job of sniffing them out), at junkyards, or on eBay.

Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink dBHIBMq

Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink 1uU1SRm

Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink o15Z3rt
Sponsored

Last edited:

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
That is awesome news! Of course it comes hot on the heels of me getting a pretty killer deal on the Escape Homelink visor and installing it in the BS lol

Now I am stuck with trying to find one of these mirrors with Homelink and selling the visor, or finding a mirror without Homelink which that Maverick thread doesn’t seem to talk about much.

The other sad part now is it seems the “internet effect“ took over and that Kia Homelink mirror is out of stock everywhere and maybe even discontinued.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
That mirror was practically DOA when this was posted. I tried calling a local Kia place back then. The guy was helpful, but didn't have it. He directed me to the nearest dealer with stock- 4 of them. I called the other dealer and they were really sketchy about it and they put me on hold for almost 15 minutes before picking back up and telling me they can't sell me the part. We never even got to the part discussing the car or the VIN.

If all you want is the Homelink portion, there are Genetex mirrors that have that feature with and without the other bells and whistles like dimming and compass. Junkyards are a great source too because scrappers don't buy salvage to sell mirrors so you can usually get a steal price on parts they don't expect to sell.

leftbehindmtb

Big Bend
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I installed a refoss unit directly onto my garage opener. It connects to homekit so now I can just press the button in apple car to open it. They have an android version too.

OP
OP
tburner

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah dealerships have been hit or miss, but yours is the first I've heard of outright refusing to sell one. I think junkyards are probably the best bet but require a lot of legwork. There are a ton of different mirror part number mirror with HomeLink, but figuring out which ones and where they're in stock can be tricky.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
So over on Maverick Truck Club they've got a thread going about a cheap auto-dimming rearview mirror courtesy of Kia. Well, some of the mirrors they're finding also have Homelink buttons. I managed to nab this one from World Kia Parts for $14 and got it installed.

[Edit to add: They held my order to confirm a VIN, which delayed things a couple days. The part is in high demand. We're not the only forums that know about this. My first order elsewhere was cancelled due to lack of inventory. The VIN delay could have cost me a mirror. I had to explain to them my situation, but I could have avoided all of that by providing a VIN for a Kia Optima or something during checkout. If you go this route, figure out which cars the mirror goes to then find a used car for sale online and give them that VIN.]

They appear to be the same size, with same length neck, except the Homelink mirror is deeper. It will clear the black plastic shroud thing but just barely. You'll need the GENMM5 neck extender. You can find them on eBay for around $15 including shipping and tax.

Gentex makes the mirror. They also make the mirror in the BS. And basically every automotive mirror. The Gentex PN for this Kia mirror is GNTX-1124.

To install, all I had to do was snip the connector off my Ford mirror and solder it into the Kia wires. Then it was plug n play. I couldn't depin/repin because the BS mirror connector contains sockets while the Kia connector contains pins.

On the Ford mirror connector, there are five wires: green, yellow, black, gray, and white. The green and yellow wires go to empty pins. They do nothing. The black wire is ground. The gray wire is the reverse indicator circuit. When you put the BS in reverse, it sends a 12V signal to that wire. That tells the mirror to not dim. The white wire is a switched 12V source.

On the Kia mirror connector, there were four wires: gray, white, green, and black. Gray is the reverse indicator. White powers the hidden compass. Green powers the Homelink buttons. Black is ground. Either white or green also powers the auto-dimming.

You can't beat Homelink for under $50! You might be able to find some of these Kia mirrors at your local Kia/Hyundai dealers, online (the Maverick forum is doing a good job of sniffing them out), at junkyards, or on eBay.

Not too shabby, bud. Although not a Ford OEM part, it is leaps and bounds cheaper than my Escape visor replacement.

Me, PERSONALLY, I'd be hesitant to start cutting/modifying wiring in a brand new car. Either way, nice job.

Oh yeah, can we see the final product?

OP
OP
tburner

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not too shabby, bud. Although not a Ford OEM part, it is leaps and bounds cheaper than my Escape visor replacement.

Me, PERSONALLY, I'd be hesitant to start cutting/modifying wiring in a brand new car. Either way, nice job.

Oh yeah, can we see the final product?
Thanks, I'm pleased with it. While it's not in the Ford parts catalog it is manufactured by a Ford OEM. I removed a Gentex mirror and replaced it with a Gentex mirror. Though all I really care about is that it works and doesn't look out of place. For that reason, had I not stumbled upon the Maverick thread, I would have taken your visor route. I'd been watching that thread since you wrote it, I just wasn't ready to swallow the price pill.

I also have an aversion to modifying factory wiring in modern cars. Splicing new loads into existing circuits can be pretty risky! Cutting leads and swapping connectors was pretty benign though. If all else failed, I'd just have to replace a mirror.

Final product:
Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink rHVrhMo

Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink oiUYqJS

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

Nice work. I might have to investigate that option. I just ended up using the voice controlled app. Takes a little longer waiting for Siri to get off the couch but seems to work quite well. Of course Siri won’t dim my mirror for me though!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I'm pleased with it. While it's not in the Ford parts catalog it is manufactured by a Ford OEM. I removed a Gentex mirror and replaced it with a Gentex mirror. Though all I really care about is that it works and doesn't look out of place. For that reason, had I not stumbled upon the Maverick thread, I would have taken your visor route. I'd been watching that thread since you wrote it, I just wasn't ready to swallow the price pill.

I also have an aversion to modifying factory wiring in modern cars. Splicing new loads into existing circuits can be pretty risky! Cutting leads and swapping connectors was pretty benign though. If all else failed, I'd just have to replace a mirror.

Final product:
Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink rHVrhMo

Ford Bronco Sport Cheap Homelink oiUYqJS
Just bought one as well. Pretty hard to beat for less than 30 bucks. Might wait to install as Siri will open my garage door for now but for the life of me, I can’t get her to switch the mirror to dimming!

OP
OP
tburner

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just bought one as well. Pretty hard to beat for less than 30 bucks. Might wait to install as Siri will open my garage door for now but for the life of me, I can’t get her to switch the mirror to dimming!
Yeah I have no idea why they're so cheap, but I'm not complaining! What part number mirror did you order? And where'd you find one in stock?

Edit: I just saw Mark's thread where he said he ordered the same PN I did from World Kia Parts so I take it you did as well. I guess they got some more inventory of a discontinued part somehow!

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I have no idea why they're so cheap, but I'm not complaining! What part number mirror did you order? And where'd you find one in stock?

Edit: I just saw Mark's thread where he said he ordered the same PN I did from World Kia Parts so I take it you did as well. I guess they got some more inventory of a discontinued part somehow!
Yup, same place. Thanks for the info!

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
So, small update if anyone is still looking into this. They are sold out almost every place you could look (except eBay where I assume flippers are posting them up) but I ordered one about 10 days ago from the link in first post. I managed to get it for about $29 total with shipping. It arrived, and I think it is new, but it came suspiciously in a plain box and just wrapped in box filler paper. Not even a peel-off on the mirror which I have seen on other new Gentex equipment. Maybe it is used, or maybe they are selling off returned equipment that someone else gave up on? Still a decent price, better than a junkyard actually.

I doubt I will install it in my Bronco though. I would rather get the sunvisor version or a mirror lacking the compass display. There are many versions of this sort of mirror out there, all made by the same company for many vehicles.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Mine just came in a couple of days ago. Also packed in brown paper with a bag of accessories & cable, but looks totally new to me. I powered it up on the bench and all the functions work including homelink. If you don't want the compass display you can leave it unwired or just switched off at the mirror.

Update: The auto-dimming circuit and the compass are on the same lead, so the compass cannot be left unwired, as I originally said. And the mirror powers on with the compass enabled, so it would need to be switched off manually to avoid a compass display on the mirror.
Sponsored

Last edited: