iowabs

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL Area 51
When not in use, how do you "store" the shelf? The manual says the half shelf forward position reduces noise, and I agree. But you get more room if you store it parallel with the seat backs. Or do you just remove it and put it in the garage?
Sponsored

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
If Im just keeping it there for everyday use, it's in whatever position I left it in last. If I know I have something big to haul with seats down before I leave home I just put it in the house. If I suddenly need the whole space while out and about, I stuff it in that big ass gap between the front seat backs and the top of the rear seats. Seems kinda silly Ford didn't shape it to fit in that spot perfectly for sudden needs.

point78

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
i Live down a dirt road and the shelf can rattle a bit depending on which position I have it in.

I also decided it seems to be in the way more times than not- so now it sits in the garage unless I’m doing something specific where I’ll use it.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
When not in use, how do you "store" the shelf? The manual says the half shelf forward position reduces noise, and I agree. But you get more room if you store it parallel with the seat backs. Or do you just remove it and put it in the garage?
Never saw a real purpose for it - in the basement. Also because I have my own wooden box in the back (takes about 1/4 of the area) to hold tools, shopping bags, emergency items, etc.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
i Live down a dirt road and the shelf can rattle a bit depending on which position I have it in.

I also decided it seems to be in the way more times than not- so now it sits in the garage unless I’m doing something specific where I’ll use it.
Precisely the reasons I didn’t order it. And you lose a bit of space on the sides due to the shelf for the rails.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I think it serves many purposes , not least being, it can be used for privacy to hide valuables from prying eyes that want to look in the back (then take out). It can divide your cargo area in half to about a third (just estimates as I don't have my vehicle yet) "which in turn stops paint from rolling out when you open your cargo door and the can decides to commit suicide and splat all over the parking lot on a busy Saturday afternoon as many people look on and poo poo you for being a dufus....but I digress."
Then you have the option to store items underneath and still utilize the top portion for items to be placed there.
And dont forget the measureing tool that can be used when you are camping so one can measure steak sizes
; equal amounts for everyone.
Last but not least....the legs!! Just being facetious on that front.

Last edited:

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
Yep, keep it folded up behind the back seats, doesn't rattle and not in my way. Have a cargo net (left over from my Edge) just in front of it for small, loose, stuff so it doesn't roll around. I've found the shelf is always handy when @ Costco, etc.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
My BB happened to come equipped with it. I spent the first year trying to work around the shelf and found it just too big a PITA. It lives in the garage now and I’m much happier with 2 or 3 12’ and 16’ milk crates that accommodate groceries or tools or whatever I may throw in the box without worrying if they’ll fit under the shelf. Pretty much a tits on a bull marketing exercise in my opinion.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
If you leave it in the vertical position (parallel to road) locked but opened (unfolded), it can make some noise but it goes away when you half open and then lock it. I like that half open spot for being out of the way. But my preferred is horizontal in the back slots. Works good for groceries, Lowe's, shopping etc. and you can easily slide it back to the seats if anything large needs to go back there. The horizontal in slots is quiet too.

I really like the system as I’m a bit ocd about weird things and it cures my need for organization.

Last edited:
OP
OP

iowabs

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL Area 51
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It is not perfect, but it is a versatile thing. I give Ford credit for doing something like this. I do wish it was a couple inches higher and held more weight.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Storage is always in the vertical position behind the back seats, or behind the front seats when the back seats are folded down. No sound, vibrations, etc. I like the flexibility when using the divider: different vertical positions for various size cargo, horizontal shelf for other uses.
Sponsored