Area51Badlands024

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F150, F250
I installed a buschurs catch can for a maverick 2.0. As many of you know one of the major problems in direct injection is coking that happens in the heads. This will also prevent your intercooler from clogging because this system is pre turbo. There is another system on the pcv side to but that

Install was fairly easy just used a razor to slit the old hose off and slid new hoses on. The instructions say to use old fittings and slide the hoses right on but I installed hose clamps. The hoses were not tight without.

I did have to modify the the mount for the can. I just bent it flat and drilled a hole where u can see in picture. I imagine on the maverick the fenders are more angular and bronco is more boxy where it mounts.

I’ll give in update with what it catches in a few thousand miles.
https://buschursllc.com/br-cart/home/1833-maverick-20-eb-oil-separatorcatch-can.html

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 952E765F-92EB-4313-8B74-C806B1DF8B1E

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 2EE9F5EB-39C8-4C61-B840-5A94ECBC8375

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 895CE543-1C51-4442-8988-065E6A0A0366
Sponsored

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
I installed a buschurs catch can for a maverick 2.0. As many of you know one of the major problems in direct injection is coking that happens in the heads. This will also prevent your intercooler from clogging because this system is pre turbo. There is another system on the pcv side to but that

Install was fairly easy just used a razor to slit the old hose off and slid new hoses on. The instructions say to use old fittings and slide the hoses right on but I installed hose clamps. The hoses were not tight without.

I did have to modify the the mount for the can. I just bent it flat and drilled a hole where u can see in picture. I imagine on the maverick the fenders are more angular and bronco is more boxy where it mounts.

I’ll give in update with what it catches in a few thousand miles.
https://buschursllc.com/br-cart/home/1833-maverick-20-eb-oil-separatorcatch-can.html

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 952E765F-92EB-4313-8B74-C806B1DF8B1E

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 2EE9F5EB-39C8-4C61-B840-5A94ECBC8375

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 895CE543-1C51-4442-8988-065E6A0A0366
I have the other system from JLT 3.0 that ties into the PVC system

I
Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 2C1F82CC-BA3D-42EF-9F0C-140E5835C693
Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 7278B712-CD21-483D-B6EA-260736A238B6

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
If you live somewhere with cold winters, you should avoid low spots in these catch can hoses. Fluid (mostly water) will accumulate in the dip and will freeze up in the winter, which essentially blocks the PCV system. It may thaw when you drive but most likely won’t get dry and it will happen again. Basically it should all drain out of the hoses, preferably into the can.

OP
OP
Area51Badlands024

Area51Badlands024

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F150, F250
That’s nice is that the 1.5. I have the 2.0 but plan on getting the jlt to I think on 2.0 all the pcv connections are on bottom of mainfold looked like a pita. Not interested in taking apart brand new truck. I live in Florida but thanks for the info Mean.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Curious about why Buschurs is using the line on the turbo side while JLT are using it at the PCV on the intake manifold.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Curious about why Buschurs is using the line on the turbo side while J&L are using it at the PCV on the intake manifold.
I suspect it's because it doesn't really matter where you put a catch can on these engines. The OEM air/oil separator along with the other mitigation strategies Ford uses are sufficient to avoid intake valve contamination.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect it's because it doesn't really matter where you put a catch can on these engines. The OEM air/oil separator along with the other mitigation strategies Ford uses are sufficient to avoid intake valve contamination.
So there have been 'tests' where folks with the 2.0T and catch cans have monitored for any accumulation?

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
It does exactly what it is designed to do.

Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 60763182-2F2C-4093-8BC6-879B18A801FA
Ford Bronco Sport Buschurs Maverick 2.0 catch can 633B0C6D-F924-4E97-866D-0D17D49BC266

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I personally just don't buy the whole catch can thing , its your engine do what you want with it . That piston damage has nothing to do with a Catch can . It could happen to any engine , depending on many factors . I do agree with that guy ion the video about long oil change intervals , my Sprinter RV with a V 6 Diesel they read 10K interval , I will change the oil a long time before that milage . At about $150 a pop just for oil & Filter is hard to swallow . There are threads on the Sprinter Forum about how great catch cans are too .

For me to do any of that , I want to see scientific evidence , not some shade tree mechanic saying ,look at the oil it picked up !

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Catch cans CAN be beneficial for turbocharged engines. You can find them on a lot of race engines running on the ragged edge of safety. If you get too much oil vapor finding its way into the engine intake it can reduce the overall octane of the mixture, reducing performance and making the engine more prone to detonation. The PCV system in our engines is baked in, so to speak, so the effect it may have on mixture octane is accounted for by the PCM software.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally just don't buy the whole catch can thing , its your engine do what you want with it . That piston damage has nothing to do with a Catch can . It could happen to any engine , depending on many factors . I do agree with that guy ion the video about long oil change intervals , my Sprinter RV with a V 6 Diesel they read 10K interval , I will change the oil a long time before that milage . At about $150 a pop just for oil & Filter is hard to swallow . There are threads on the Sprinter Forum about how great catch cans are too .

For me to do any of that , I want to see scientific evidence , not some shade tree mechanic saying ,look at the oil it picked up !
Constant intake of oil vapors in the combustion chamber will produce carbon build up on the piston, cylinder head, and valves.

The whole point of the PCV is to recirculate crankcase vapors to meet emissions/epa requirements, otherwise they would probably just vent them off as it was done in the past.

Before direct injection you had fuel injectors spraying fuel via the intake manifold runners and a benefit to this was that it showered the intake valves which helped keep them (somewhat) clean. With direct injection being inside the cylinder you no longer get this 'shower' on the intake valves so in turn they can build up grime from your PCV. Very common these days.

Many engines will operate fine despite having a filthy intake track while others may experience blockages or mechanical failures.

So a catch can is merely intercepting the moisture/oil from the PCV system before it reaches your intake.

Another means of mitigating build up is to install a water/methanol injection system that injects a fine mist in to your intake (usually post intercooler on turbo charged vehicles) that will help with a number of things--
--lowers charge temps
--reduce the chance of knock (it 'raises' the octane level of fuel)
--cleans the intake and combustion chamber during operation

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does exactly what it is designed to do.
That's great for the 1.5 but the 2.0 has two different PCV lines (JLT and Buschurs each use a different line) and I'm hoping to see what folks experience depending on the kit they chose.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best of both worlds
Curious about your routing and venting setup.
Modern engines benefit from intake vacuum on the PCV since negative crankcase pressure is beneficial.
Sponsored