Bug deflectors.

Does the ford OEM bug deflectors actually have an advantage or is it overpriced plastic

• Total voters

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport / 1994 ford f150
I've searched the forum for this once to see if it was already a thread. However I haven't come across it yet. Got back from the local ford store with my window seal wind deflectors and front hood bug guard. In the past like my 94 ford they would get bolted on the underside of the hood. Not 3m tapped to the paint? I absolutely will not be ruining my hood for a deflector that can actually do more damage than what purpose it's supposed to serve... The design of this is not what I initially expected what so ever. Opinions? Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Sport Bug deflectors. 20240506_135624
Sponsored

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I installed this bug deflector about 4 months ago, I can attest that I have not had as many bugs on my windshield as I did the first year of driving without it, although it's difficult to quantify. Also, I don't believe the 3M tape will ruin our hoods if/after we decide to take them off, it would only leave a sticky residue that could easily be cleaned up. I originally installed this after I got a rock chip in my windshield, hoping this deflector will prevent that in the future and I guess only time will tell.

OP
OP
Mahargmot

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hesitant. to be exact I am more concerned with salt/ debris getting up under the guard itself and rotting away the nice hood. coming from the rust belt up here in PA, they put anything on these roads but battery acid in the winter months.

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I'm hesitant. to be exact I am more concerned with salt/ debris getting up under the guard itself and rotting away the nice hood. coming from the rust belt up here in PA, they put anything on these roads but battery acid in the winter months.
I believe the lip of the front of the deflector basically covers up any potential gap so nothing could get in. I will look at mine in a bit to take some pics and see what kind of gap there is.

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I believe the lip of the front of the deflector basically covers up any potential gap so nothing could get in. I will look at mine in a bit to take some pics and see what kind of gap there is.
there’s only the gaps in between the tape lines, other than that nothing could get in.

Ford Bronco Sport Bug deflectors. IMG_6556

OP
OP
Mahargmot

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems to me a removeable adhesive will do less damage to your car than drilling holes.
Sorry I wasn't specific , on my 1994 ford f150 the option was plastic clips that has a bolt in predetermined locations from factory.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The good news is the hoods are Aluminum and therefore won’t rust.

The 3m tape when properly applied will not easily come off but can be removed if required without causing damage.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
It seems to me a removeable adhesive will do less damage to your car than drilling holes.
Couldn’t agree more, why would you want to drill permanent holes in your vehicle? The 3M adhesive on the deflector no different than all other badges applied the same, body side moulding etc.Not going to ruin anything.

Nickadeamus

Heritage
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco Sport
I put mine on about a week ago and have not seen much of a difference. But I only had the BS 4 or 5 day before I put the thing on. I still get bugs on window.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
My take on a deflector. Not a fan but I would add a deflector if I get some rock hits in that area. Ugly both ways but chips are a bit uglier.

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I've searched the forum for this once to see if it was already a thread. However I haven't come across it yet. Got back from the local ford store with my window seal wind deflectors and front hood bug guard. In the past like my 94 ford they would get bolted on the underside of the hood. Not 3m tapped to the paint? I absolutely will not be ruining my hood for a deflector that can actually do more damage than what purpose it's supposed to serve... The design of this is not what I initially expected what so ever. Opinions? Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Sport Bug deflectors. 20240506_135624
i got the one EGR offers and it screws into the weather stripping holes.

OP
OP
Mahargmot

Mahargmot

Outer Banks
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put mine on about a week ago and have not seen much of a difference. But I only had the BS 4 or 5 day before I put the thing on. I still get bugs on window.
So basically a fancy trim peice. As expected previously.

SoCal

Outer Banks
First Name
Marl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi R8- 2020 Tesla M3P- 2021 Wrangler Rubi
Don’t have much of a bug issue here in SoCal but I still wouldn’t put one on if we did… rather deal with a few bug splatters than ruin the look of the car with that thing, but that’s just me:bandit:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
So basically a fancy trim peice. As expected previously.
Not the case in north Florida at least...May and September are love bug season (google them). They are pesty bugs that fly around and splatter onto the front grill and windshields. I'll agree that a deflector does not get them all, but it does deflect a large percentage of bugs and stones. I've had them on all my trucks, and now the BS, as I like the one that Ford sells.
Sponsored