Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I just read this a little while ago. Sounds like the Bronco Sport totally mopped the floor with the Compass. Jeep really needs to give that NA four-cylinder a turbo so it can keep up off-road with the Ford and not struggle as much.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
It’s great write up, but I really wish there was a video. How do they do a 36 mile trail ride and come back with just photos and an article?

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I'm not surprised. Jeep has always been overrated and we'll be seeing the same comparisons this summer when they run a Bronco BL against a Rubicon. Can't wait! Love it!!

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
It's puzzling that MT is comparing the Jeep Compass TH to the BS BL. It's really the Cherokee TH that would be cross shopped to the BL. The real world pricing of Cherokee to BS is very close within $1k depending on incentives and offers, and the engines are very similar in hp & torque numbers, unlike the Compass. Plus the Cherokee TH low range and rear locker are additional reasons to compare to the BL. I didn't even look at the Compass when I went to the Jeep dealer, straight to the Cherokee V6.

Last edited:

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
At one point I was very mildly interested in the renegade and decided to drive one. That 2.4L was one (of quite a few) of the reasons I passed. As everyone knows , 4 cyls typically don't come off as harmonically pleasing and that one basically takes all of that and amplifies it. Besides being a buzzy mess, it reminded me of a 4 cyl from the 80's where you constantly have your foot planted into it. Even with all the fancy nomenclature like "Tigershark" and "Multiair" and the fact that it is a relatively new engine- it was double disappointing.

kimberkat74

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I find Cherokee shoppers are usually shopping and comparing the Explorer more so than they would the Bronco Sport based on interior capacity and overall size. Comparatively speaking from a size standpoint the BS is larger than the EcoSport yet smaller than the Escape. For this reason I think they were right on the mark in comparing to the Compass

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
I couldn't believe how brutal the headroom was in the Jeep Trailhawk and the Toyota 4Runner. I'm 6'3" and even with the moonroof, my hair isn't touching the top of the Bronco Sport. And the floor is deeper too which makes for way more comfortable upright seating. I love the 4Runners and the Tacomas but Toyota really seems to build them for guys 5'9" or less or with really short legs, cuz they bring the floor up so high to gain extra ground clearance that sometimes it feels like you are sitting on the floor!

I maintain that Ford has hit a home run with the BS, giving me everything I wanted in a daily driver: great looks, comfort, features and ergonomics....to go along with awesome power in the 2.0 and way more 4X4 capacity then I will ever need (but always nice to have, just in case). If I had anything to tow I doubt I would have even gone with a Big Bronco...probably just would have sucked it up and bought the F-150 or the Ranger.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Not here nor there but interesting I think- My friend is replacing his 2000 Explorer and decided to compare the BS and 2000 Explorer. Despite the Explorers extra 18" of overall length, and 8 inches or so of wheelbase, the BS outmatches it in every interior metric except max cargo with seats down and rear shoulder room. Kinda an indication in how well the newer designed vehicles manage interior space.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
It's puzzling that MT is comparing the Jeep Compass TH to the BS BL. It's really the Cherokee TH that would be cross shopped to the BL. The real world pricing of Cherokee to BS is very close within $1k depending on incentives and offers, and the engines are very similar in hp & torque numbers, unlike the Compass. Plus the Cherokee TH low range and rear locker are additional reasons to compare to the BL. I didn't even look at the Compass when I went to the Jeep dealer, straight to the Cherokee V6.
I thought the same thing. Is the Cherokee TH markedly more expensive than the BL + BL? I never really looked at any of the Jeeps because I've never really been a fan, but I'm admittedly a "Ford guy"

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I find Cherokee shoppers are usually shopping and comparing the Explorer more so than they would the Bronco Sport based on interior capacity and overall size.
Not attempting to be argumentative but this claim doesn't sound right. Maybe you meant "I find GRAND Cherokee shoppers are usually shopping and comparing the Explorer more so than they would the Bronco Sport based on interior capacity and overall size"? That would make a little more sense due to them being in the same class. The Explorer has an option for third-row seating, more cargo space, more engine HP, etc. than the Cherokee so they really don't compare well.

I do think people cross-shop the Cherokee with the BS. The BS whips the Cherokee in total cargo volume with rear seats up (32.5 cu. feet BS vs. 25.8 Cherokee) AND down (65.2 BS vs. 54.7 Cherokee). With those numbers, I think the BS makes the best use of its space even though it's a shorter vehicle overall.

With that being said I do think there are similarities and pros-cons with both, hence why I think people do cross-shop these two, because I did. For starters, front seating is better in the BS for taller people due to more headroom. Seating in the back felt the same for both. Neither felt spacious, but not overly cramped, either. The Cherokee has better towing and a more powerful V6 engine option, but the BS has better off-road chops and ground clearance with its base models vs. standard Cherokee 4x4s (Latitude and Lat Plus), as well as better fuel economy. The "cool-factor" and looks of the BS are far superior to the Cherokee, IMO. Plus, there are the well-known Jeep reliability issues. I've owned three Fords and two Jeeps. Guess which ones I've had trouble with?

Also, notice how I never mentioned the Compass in this post. I think comparing the Compass (or the Renegade for that matter) to the BS is a slap in the face to the BS. However, this is just my opinion :wink:

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
I thought the same thing. Is the Cherokee TH markedly more expensive than the BL + BL? I never really looked at any of the Jeeps because I've never really been a fan, but I'm admittedly a "Ford guy"
I was cross shopping the BL (no options) to the Cherokee TH and BL was about $500 more. It depends a lot on incentives and offers available at the time but pricing was so close as to not be a factor.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
I couldn't believe how brutal the headroom was in the Jeep Trailhawk and the Toyota 4Runner. I'm 6'3" and even with the moonroof, my hair isn't touching the top of the Bronco Sport. And the floor is deeper too which makes for way more comfortable upright seating. I love the 4Runners and the Tacomas but Toyota really seems to build them for guys 5'9" or less or with really short legs, cuz they bring the floor up so high to gain extra ground clearance that sometimes it feels like you are sitting on the floor!

I maintain that Ford has hit a home run with the BS, giving me everything I wanted in a daily driver: great looks, comfort, features and ergonomics....to go along with awesome power in the 2.0 and way more 4X4 capacity then I will ever need (but always nice to have, just in case). If I had anything to tow I doubt I would have even gone with a Big Bronco...probably just would have sucked it up and bought the F-150 or the Ranger.
6’7” here and agree completely.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I was cross shopping the BL (no options) to the Cherokee TH and BL was about $500 more. It depends a lot on incentives and offers available at the time but pricing was so close as to not be a factor.

I bought a fully loaded Cherokee trailhawk for less than the price I was going to pay for my pre ordered fully loaded BL. Jeeps can be had for a few thousand less than MSRP. However when people do these comparisons they mostly go off of MSRP.

So that's why they compare it to the compass and Renegade. The base Sport has much more torque than most of it's competition, which what you want for off road. HP is less important, especially with no low range transfer case.
Sponsored