tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
serious question.. how is pushing and pulling tougher than turning? Both types of gear shifters use the same effective motions that are found on many mechanisms that people use daily. What I do find funny and do laugh at is when I see capable people, still having their hair color, that need an automatic lift gate when I see gray-haired ladies and gentlemen still using a manual lift gate.
I don't think it's a question of "easier or harder", it's simply a matter of preference. I clearly loved the BS Badlands enough to commit to a purchase even with its modern fittings, but I DEFINITELY would prefer a gear shift handle. I'm 50 and every vehicle I've had has had a gear shift I could grab onto, not a gear "circle" that I can't. Certainly not a deal breaker though...not like a spend my entire day driving with one hand while stroking the gear shift with another! lol

Advertisement

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I don't think it's a question of "easier or harder", it's simply a matter of preference. I clearly loved the BS Badlands enough to commit to a purchase even with its modern fittings, but I DEFINITELY would prefer a gear shift handle. I'm 50 and every vehicle I've had has had a gear shift I could grab onto, not a gear "circle" that I can't. Certainly not a deal breaker though...not like a spend my entire day driving with one hand while stroking the gear shift with another! lol
I agree neither is easier or harder and for most people not a deal breaker no matter their preference either way.

my point is not to change your preference but to identify the reason of this preference (of a dial being an inadequate gear shifter) the stick shift was considered normal for so long, not that ford chose something that can’t be gripped and used effectively.

most people don’t have any preference over a/c temp sliders over knobs that turn. Both can be gripped, just in different ways. There was a time when temp sliders were normal and the “new” dial probably left some scratching their head asking why they replaced the sliders
CB8BB035-B957-4D7F-84C0-5C392A23D02E.jpeg

Washburn

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
WELL SAID! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: the "circle" is clearly a gimmicky anomaly and totally toy-ish! I am not a fan of column shifters either BUT I'd take one 100x over this Fisher-Price looking "knob".
--I really do hate it, but not enough to be a deal-breaker.

Don't see Ford changing this for future model years, BUT one can always hope.

magicbus

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2-door
Is it possible the knob is simply because a rotary switch driving an electro-mechanical assembly now controls the transmission rather than a purely mechanical shift lever as in days gone by? Having a shift lever assembly that simply activates switch points, while highly decorative and provides a nice hand rest, is an expensive item on a vehicle where it is obvious they were trying to save some $$$.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
WELL SAID! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: the "circle" is clearly a gimmicky anomaly and totally toy-ish! I am not a fan of column shifters either BUT I'd take one 100x over this Fisher-Price looking "knob".
--I really do hate it, but not enough to be a deal-breaker.

Don't see Ford changing this for future model years, BUT one can always hope.
So now knobs are toys. Are you too good for the knobs on the temp control also?

Do you feel like a child when you walk through a gimmicky door with a round toyish knob and only use push doors or lever handles.

Looks like I have pinpointed the hate for the dial shifter. “Circles are for children.” 😂

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Is it possible the knob is simply because a rotary switch driving an electro-mechanical assembly now controls the transmission rather than a purely mechanical shift lever as in days gone by? Having a shift lever assembly that simply activates switch points, while highly decorative and provides a nice hand rest, is an expensive item on a vehicle where it is obvious they were trying to save some $$$.
Shame on ford for trying to save money and not being a non profit organization. They should have included a necessary gold plated pull string to start the engine instead of the plastic push start button. Plastic gimmicky circles everywhere. Ford is so cheap🤣

Washburn

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep - certainly understandable in the "by wire" era, and like i said, not a deal-breaker at all, but the "standard" type shifter does provide a more "substantial" feel, and a nice contemporary and purposeful look, and I will def. miss it, having only used only such shifters so far.

....I'd rather have a regular shifter than a moonroof on a BL+BL for sure.

Washburn

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a forum to discuss AND critique the B/S and COMPARE pros and cons with other models, one should be able to post their dislikes/opinions AND complaints and not be attacked with condescending, toxic posts. After all, if all posts are about only the positive aspect of a car, then there's really not much point of a discussion forum based on that vehicle. A discussion consists of likes AND dislikes and concerns re: the said vehicle. All of us here are obviously super interested in the B/Sport, otherwise we wouldn't be here in the first place.
--That said, NO car is perfect, and we post about what we find positive and negative, which doesn't mean we hate the car, nor does it mean it's meant to offend people who like the car in every single aspect, which is unrealistic in most cases. I think that's why we even have a separate post dedicated to JUST complaints regarding the BS. And, sometimes when we compare the BS to other similar cars, (which are other options for those who are in the deciding process) some dislikes re: the BS may come across as "complaints", even if it is not a technical "defect". And that should be JUST FINE. Fans of the B/S should NOT be personally offended by such posts, and revert to attacks and condescending responses.

Thanks for the moderators for doing a wonderful job, keeping an eye on needless posts, cleaning things up and keeping the freedom alive to post our opinions in a respectful manner.

NOW, re: Cherokee Trailhawk:

It offers a choice of 2 engines:
an N/A V6 and a I-4 turbo: and it looks like the I-4 turbo is optional and one must pay extra to get it.
Has anyone here driven a Cherokee TRAILHAWK (i think it is the most direct trim to compete with a BL) with each engine and compared the two? Which one did you like better?
And (this might be rare) has anyone driven all THREE? BS with the 2L, TH with an I-4 AND a TH with the V6?

If so, how does each engine compare to the B/S 2L? (I know the spec's on paper, but how do they translate to real world driving feel/performance?)

The TH offers more towing capacity (almost twice the capacity of BL?) , and while I can see this being an important factor, it is still not a DECIDING factor for me, and I am still somewhat skeptical about the FCA vehicles in general (not based on experience; its just the 2 Fords I have owned served me well, and I'd give them a 8/10 for reliability, so I'd obviously feel "safe" going with another Ford. I have never owned an FCA product, and my "fears" area based on some online research and what I have heard from friends/relatives who own them).

The Cherokee TH def offers more bang for the buck it feels like, when building and pricing one on their website, but it just doesn't have the square look and the flip up window of the BS that I love. I also prefer the manual liftgate of the B/S. Less electronics/things to break. That said, the TH does, IMO, come closest to the BL among the plethora of similar vehicles in the class...

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess you all are too young to remember the dash mounted push button transmission shifts on Chrysler/Plymouth’s in the 60’s.

Last edited:

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Thanks for the moderators for doing a wonderful job, keeping an eye on needless posts, cleaning things up and keeping the freedom alive to post our opinions in a respectful manner.
I understand some members comments offend you. When someone starts a discussion with you and you deem it “needless”, why not have a discussion about how it’s needless. This is a discussion forum after all and seems like a good place for it. Instead you ask for “offensive” comments to be “cleaned up” and the same sentence asks for freedom to post our opinions.

Obviously people are free to criticize anything. When you call something bad/shit/crap, why do you get offended when someone simply asks you to explain why you think it’s bad/shit/crap? Because if you just post to criticize without adequately explaining, I’d argue that is a “needless post”. I personally am not going to ask for the removal of your freedom to post.

It’s bad because it’s a circle is not adequately explaining. While you owe no one an explanation for your opinions and preferences, you shouldn’t be asking for comments that are asking to explain to be cleaned up then also asking for freedom to post. This is a discussion forum to discuss opinions. Not silence others because you got offended or don’t feel respected.

Regarding the cherokee trailhawk:

I agree the cherokee comes close to the bronco sport in capability and purpose.

I disagree that the cherokee offers more bang for its buck. Or else I would be on a cherokee forum right now

magicbus

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@essentialemployee - I guess you didn’t see that you need to lighten up. I’m here to “second the emotion” that some, not all, of your posts go overboard in focusing responses on the OP, whoever OP that might be. .

Regarding “I understand some members comments offend you.” Well actually it isn’t some members, it is some of your comments. In the “early days” of this site you were a great contributor, I hope you continue.

Advertisement