davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I came from Honda before buying this Bronco Sport a year ago. I really enjoy it and I'm kind of liking the adventurous part of it, but I do miss some Honda things.

It is more fun to drive than a CR-V (my mom has one so I didn't even consider it). The Passport is a lot bigger but has a larger engine.

I don't think the CR-V is as capable as the Bronco Sport in off-road "fun" areas but here in Texas, there isn't much of that to be had.

Just wondering what y'all's thoughts were on the two. I've seen a few people on here mention they owned a Honda before getting this Bronco Sport.
Sponsored

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I currently own a 2019 Honda CR-V that I purchased new. I traded a 2019 Acura RDX for my BSBL. The CR-V has been a fantastic vehicle BUT is very boring to drive. When I bought the BSBL I thought it would be my vehicle but my wife loved it and it soon became her go to transportation. I remedied that problem by ordering a new Maverick pickup thatā€™s due to be built in about 2 weeks. Iā€™ll be trading in the CR-V when it arrives. Bottom lineā€¦.CR-V is a great transportation tool but very boring and somewhat an ugly duckling.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I had a '22 Ridgeline RTL-E. Great vehicle but decided to get away from a pickup. My wife has a '23 HR-V EX-L and I'm a Honda guy. The choice was a Passport or a BS. I loved the BS retro look and went with it. Sometimes I wish I had bought the Passport. Gotta love that V6 and a lot less reported issues.

TNFurb

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
We had owned two CRVs prior to getting our BS. The most recent one was the CRV Touring Hybrid. It was a great vehicle. But we prefer our BS. It is more fun to drive. The front seats are much more comfortable to us. And the MPGs on our BS are not terribly lower than the CRV hybrid. We were really surprised by that. As much as others have complained about the Ford infotainment system, we have found it to be much better and definitely much more reliable than our Hondaā€™s. I also owned a Ridgeline, which I loved btw, before getting my Maverick. So we were ā€œHonda peopleā€ too. So far no regrets going to the Fordā€˜s. About the only things from our CRV we miss are the walk away auto lock feature and the roomier back seat. Neither are things we miss enough to regret our choice.

Webini

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve owned a 2019 CR-V and a 2021 Passport. The CVT in the CR-V drove me crazy. Thought I could live with it. I was wrong. Several warranty repairs needed as well.

Traded for a 2021 Passport. At the time we thought we were moving and needed a larger vehicle. Recalls were out of control. Mirrors falling off, rear camera wiring that required rear interior disassembly, etc. There was a wiring recall that required the entire dash to be disassembled. We bailed at that point and got the BS. I had 3 other Hondas in the past and they were great. But never again.

Love our BS. And Iā€™m not a huge Ford fan.

ebastow

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I had a '22 Ridgeline RTL-E. Great vehicle but decided to get away from a pickup. My wife has a '23 HR-V EX-L and I'm a Honda guy. The choice was a Passport or a BS. I loved the BS retro look and went with it. Sometimes I wish I had bought the Passport. Gotta love that V6 and a lot less reported issues.
Did you get a BS with the larger motor?

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Did you get a BS with the larger motor?
No, it isn't available in a OBX. That's the sorespot foe me. I like options that the Badlands did not have and I don't go off road.

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
davidg4781:

One thing that I always look for in feedback and reviews is consistency, if everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, youl likely know the truth of it.

I'm a pretty staunch republican and Texan; however, I married a Japanese national and have two "halfus" (both kids are proud of their American and Japanese heritages). I.E. I can buy either and still say I'm supporting my country(ies).

I had a Honda CR-V (2000 made in Japan) and Honda Pilot (2010, loved that model). Previously I've had a Ford Probe, Several Volkswagens, and a Jeep Wrangler.

The Hondas were by far the best vehicles I've ever owned. They basically tie for first. The CR-V was just so functional and had a low cost of ownership, and the Pilot, while more expensive, was a top of the line model and it had the power you referenced and was more lux.... Both lasted in excess of 10 years and were effectively like new when I traded them.

I really wanted another Honda when I came time to trade... But they didn't have any models that even slightly entertained me at that time (August 2022). The Pilot now looks alot like their Odyessy. and the Passport looks alot like the Pilot. Park them next to each other, you can't unsee it. From a company cost savings POV this makes sense. If you are a soccer mom, you may not care, but if you want to actually have something abit fun, well write that off. Test driving the Passport in 2022, it drove EXACTLY like my 2010 Pilot. To the point that during the test drive, I started driving it like I owned it, it was just so intuitive.

The CR-V I traded for a Jeep Cherokee in 2016. I am a big Jeep Cherokee fan, I think the company screwed up letting that line atrophy. Overall, a new Jeep Cherokee, was potentially a more cost effective buy than the Bronco Sport (though the body style of the Sport is more up to date).

The Pilot I traded for the Bronco Sport.

I'm watching this TFL's New Videon on this is why you should by a Bronco Sport... that may help.

What it ultimately comes down to is what you want to do with your vehicle and what you want the vehicle to say about you.

You mentioned your mother, so I'm thinking your younger, if you are looking to get married and have kids a in few years, then the Passport may be the way to go, but that says alot right there. Reliable, Stable, and Tame.

If you are looking to raise hell for a few more years, the Bronco Sport...

Interesting you mentioned a few things you missed and also referenced the larger engine on the Passport. I've got a Badlands, and the speed, acceleration, etc is actually better than my 2010 Pilot (not by much but better), though it had a larger engine, it had alot more weight... In Sport mode (Rabbit mode), it is a speedy little thing (which is what I like smaller SUV's that can thread the needle).

If you haven't looked at the Badlands, do before making your decision, at that price point it really just comes down to preference, as the Passport is about the same price I think.

Good Luck Hombre, and Happy Trails...

BTW, in relation to not much off roading in Texas, where I live you are pretty much spot on (McKinney Texas), but out west, in the Pan Handle, in Arkansas, in Broken Bow, in New Mexico, there are a Ton. Definitely try the Roadaeo in Austin and you will llikely enjoy Little Rock Offroad Park as well.

RR

Added Later: Just saw the thread on the OBX features... Completely agree, one of the most frustrating things about the Bronco Sport is the way it prohibits you from buying what you want. I wanted Leather Seats, etc, but didn't want the "coffee interior." Aside from the moon roof, there is pretty much nothing that you can't solve for (and better in many situations) after market, much thanks to this forum for that...

mrdale14424

Heritage
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Heritage (base)
Exactly, but at 70 years old I still need things that inspire me.
Same here at 70+!
I own both a '23 Sport Heritage and a '24 Passport.
Bought the Sport Heritage for a fun, small, around town grocery-getter.
Bought the Passport for a better riding trip-mobile with a lot more horsepower and room.
Each has it's place & purpose.

OP
OP
davidg4781

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
For y'all that left Honda, it feels like they didn't have much to offer. I always had cars; coupes or sedans. I was a little tempted to get a Civic hatch or sedan, but coming from an Accord, it felt a little like a downgrade. Then the 9th and 10th gen Accords were too big for me along with me not caring for their design. The 2021 Passport I was looking at I believe had the same interior as the refreshed first gen Ridgeline. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for that.

I had planned to get something cheap, wait a few years, then go back to Honda. Then the BS came along and I'll probably stick with it for about 100k miles.

And I like the adventurism of it. I might try to do the Texas Hill Country Route again. There's a Cheeseburger Loop north of Houston I was going to try today but didn't have all the details.

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Have you looked at the redesigned 2024 HR-V?
Dude:

After writing my book above, I went and checked Honda's website for Future Cars, there is nothing really interesting there either...

There is a Ridgeline concept I was excited about, but it has been years, and I doubt they will make it.

I'm not in the market for awhile (likely 4-5 years), hopefully they will come up with something in the meantime.

RR

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Dude:

After writing my book above, I went and checked Honda's website for Future Cars, there is nothing really interesting there either...
Btw that was quite a book, I did enjoy the read! You must be an author or into writing. What career are you into?
Sponsored