Bronco Sport: The Good, The Bad & Ugly

KosmicKid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Raptor '10 Jaguar XKR '21 Bronco Sport
After 3 months of ownership of a 21 Bronco Sport Badlands I have compiled a short list of my impressions:
The Good:
Damn impressive off & on road: was not expecting much on either, but it really handles everything I've thrown at it on both.
Very peppy (2.0 4 cyl) in sport mode.
Comfort is very good for a small vehicle.
Tech is unbelievable for the price: GOAT Modes work as they should, cameras front & rear, and Copilot 360 is amazing!
People are constantly wanting to look at it: never have seen one and are impressed with all equipment/tech it contains for the price plus styling. Jeep better watch out!
The Bad:
Brake pedal too small and too close to accelerator for me: I use two foot driving method and find myself constantly having issues. One foot drivers probably would never notice.
The hidden wipers in the cowl: Only discovered this in the past few weeks with the snow we've had, but you CANNOT get it cleaned out and get to the wipers when packed with snow. Huge design failure in my mind.
The rear hatch doesn't go high enough for a normal person (6 ft)
The Ugly
Well except for a Code ID10T error where one opens the sunroof with snow on it which ends up in the cabin, I can't think of anything other than..
People constantly are confusing the Bronco Sport with the Bronco: blaming Ford on that and...

Overall, I've been fairly impressed for what it is: a small front wheel bias CUV, with a reasonable price and very capable off road manners.

Full disclosure: I have a 21 Bronco on order, (and yes I'm on Bronco6g) this Bronco Sport just fell into my lap so speak (was a dealer loaner and dealership was being sold so they were unloading their loaner fleet) and with the expected delays of the 21 Bronco, I wanted something for the summer that was a tad smaller then the Raptor (yeah pretty much everything) for the CO trails.
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
After 3 months of ownership of a 21 Bronco Sport Badlands I have compiled a short list of my impressions:
The Good:
Damn impressive off & on road: was not expecting much on either, but it really handles everything I've thrown at it on both.
Very peppy (2.0 4 cyl) in sport mode.
Comfort is very good for a small vehicle.
Tech is unbelievable for the price: GOAT Modes work as they should, cameras front & rear, and Copilot 360 is amazing!
People are constantly wanting to look at it: never have seen one and are impressed with all equipment/tech it contains for the price plus styling. Jeep better watch out!
The Bad:
Brake pedal too small and too close to accelerator for me: I use two foot driving method and find myself constantly having issues. One foot drivers probably would never notice.
The hidden wipers in the cowl: Only discovered this in the past few weeks with the snow we've had, but you CANNOT get it cleaned out and get to the wipers when packed with snow. Huge design failure in my mind.
The rear hatch doesn't go high enough for a normal person (6 ft)
The Ugly
Well except for a Code ID10T error where one opens the sunroof with snow on it which ends up in the cabin, I can't think of anything other than..
People constantly are confusing the Bronco Sport with the Bronco: blaming Ford on that and...

Overall, I've been fairly impressed for what it is: a small front wheel bias CUV, with a reasonable price and very capable off road manners.

Full disclosure: I have a 21 Bronco on order, (and yes I'm on Bronco6g) this Bronco Sport just fell into my lap so speak (was a dealer loaner and dealership was being sold so they were unloading their loaner fleet) and with the expected delays of the 21 Bronco, I wanted something for the summer that was a tad smaller then the Raptor (yeah pretty much everything) for the CO trails.
Just tell 'em you've got the exclusive "Sport" model, LOL.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Yep, Ford put together one heck of a vehicle! I've had mine for 2 1/2 months and 3300 flawless miles. It handles the off-road terrain amazingly well and I've been in quite a few snowstorms and slick roads that it handles rock solid without any slipping. I also have a full size Bronco on order and also came from the Raptor world!

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
@KosmicKid I'll have to agree with you that snow/ice accumulation on the windshield is a pain with the hidden wipers but it sure is nice not having to look at them when the weather is good. Now for using the "two foot method" with the brake and gas - you don't happen to drive on the Nascar circuit, do you? I just reserved a 2 door OBX that I hope to get in 2022 when retirement comes closer. I can't pry the FE Sport out of my wife's hands so I had to get control of the situation and just get one for myself!

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
@KosmicKid I'll have to agree with you that snow/ice accumulation on the windshield is a pain with the hidden wipers but it sure is nice not having to look at them when the weather is good. Now for using the "two foot method" with the brake and gas - you don't happen to drive on the Nascar circuit, do you? I just reserved a 2 door OBX that I hope to get in 2022 when retirement comes closer. I can't pry the FE Sport out of my wife's hands so I had to get control of the situation and just get one for myself!
Is that 2-door to replace your F-150?

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yep, that's the plan. F150 (it's a great truck!) will go back to the fleet company.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Yep, that's the plan. F150 (it's a great truck!) will go back to the fleet company.
Very nice.

I was also interested in the "big" Bronco, but I have major reservations about removable roof panels. I'd want to actually see how they work in person and and test drive the car to hear the wind noise levels. The long wait didn't help and I ultimately felt like I wouldn't need/use the additional offroad chops it offers above my FE Bronco Sport.

That said, I'm sure I'll be rubber necking at every 2/4 door Bronco I see once they're on the road. :)

OP
OP

KosmicKid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never did NASCAR just drags both on & off the strip and some dirt track way back in the day.

OP
OP

KosmicKid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FUnny that you mentioned this as I was checking to see what the hood was made of I also looked for wires going to the wipers and I found none,so it looks like first edition came in last as far as de-icer go.
I did a quick check in the manual and didn't see anything, but thought it had to do with a FE special option. I guess when snow is expected, turn the vehicle off with wipers in midstream....

Power Man

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Escape, Mustang, Fiesta,
The bad...no power rear hatch...no heads up view...no 2.0 in OB

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
FUnny that you mentioned this as I was checking to see what the hood was made of I also looked for wires going to the wipers and I found none,so it looks like first edition came in last as far as de-icer go.
It’s not exactly ‘wiper de-icers’. The windshield is heated where the wipers park. They still ice up when driving in snow and ice. ?‍♂

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Found a QC issue. The black box above the rear view mirror keeps unclipping on the right side and dropping down an inch.
It clips in with a click and is loose next time I look at it, often after the doors open then close.

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I thought that the upper windshield is heated for the 2 cameras that sets behind the rear view mirror.The build papers state wiper de-icer first edition .(now who knows)
That's a separate function on all models to keep the camera window clear.

tatiasport

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I did a quick check in the manual and didn't see anything, but thought it had to do with a FE special option. I guess when snow is expected, turn the vehicle off with wipers in midstream....
Thanks actually really smart. I live in the north and was struggling with the daily snow accumulation in the stupid wiper trough! Thanks.
Sponsored