Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
I’ve built Jeeps, taco, etc. So am used to body on frame setups and wheeling/Dailying those type of rides. My Taco got totaled last year so was looking at something in between SUV and a truck that was still capable. I never even looked at the baby broncos until I bought one. Was looking at Cherokees, Outback wilderness. Couldn’t find a Cherokee, and the Outback when trying to go up an incline felt like it was going to explode with their rubber band trans. Screamed with minimal movement. Poor decision for something to go off-road. So that was out. Then caught a video on the BS BL. And looked like it would fit the bill. Storage, actual trans, good for the dogs, can wheel it and would be comfy to daily in between. Also looks good.

Pros-the ride is really nice, is smooth even with larger more aggressive tires. Handles bumps well and tracks like it should when going down the road. The oem shocks are quite good and matched well with the springs.

The interior ergonomics, button placement for dash, wheel and having actual physical buttons for things is huge. Has nice cockpit setup that’s usable. Doesn’t leave you guessing what’s what and there’s no giant plastic wall that other manufacturers are putting in.

The trans and motor in 2.0 is smooth and responds well, even in normal mode. Doesn’t have the tip in delay most tbw vehicles do these days. Hit gas and go, I’m a fan. Also doesn’t have the off throttle, on throttle(slowing and then accelerating) clunk or gear change lag. Seems to be in appropriate gear most times. I’m not in 6th gear at 20mph and then has to go to 3rd to move. My RDX was bad for that.

The awd system is phenomenal. Probably its strongest pro. Which is ok with me. On road and off-road just running it in normal mode it just goes and goes well. The other modes are nice if you need to switch for a lil more aggressive settings depending on terrain. And it shifts into and out of “lock” instantly. Center and rear. And can use them in normal mode also. I’ve done terrain where most would give a hard nope and have had no real issues. As long as there’s a tire touching I’m moving. Toyota has a really nice system for off-road and this performs better. Keeps power going without throttling the shit out the brakes. Keeps a positive forward momentum even at slower speeds.

The front skid on the BL is actually a good piece of kit. It’s not the thickest but the way it’s formed, it is sturdy af. I’ve hit it and just some minor scratches and no flexing in the plate from laying vehicle on it. Wish Ford would make more kit for this thing, since no one else really does.

The hvac system kicks and works well. Same with the heated seats and wheel. They throw out some damage.

The rubber floors are choice.

It looks good. I’ve built a mini defender.

The switchable front cam. Helps to see even when parking. Good way to gauge how close mid front bumper is. Nice to have off-road since I’ve always installed them myself.

CONS-the rattles, headliner in front and roof. A pillars. Constant noise. Dealer blamed unbuckled passenger belt. That isn’t it.

The B&O sound system has poor sound and buzzes with any bass, especially at volumes lower than 10. But distort above 18. So min/max is like 12-18 so it doesn’t sound as bad. But still is piss poor. But to be expected since Ford is using the same parts for audio for the last 10 years and multiple vehicles/name plates. There’s no actual sub, is a 6x9 in the rear.

The driver seat bottom is too short and puts pressure on thighs. There isn’t enough adjustability with seat bottom or the lumbar support which only goes in and out maybe a 1/2” with no up and down adjustability. The bolsters are too soft and puts you into center console or door when turning.

The steering is vague af. Way too light. Numb. Like you never know what your front end is doing. You get no feedback through the wheel. Even with beefier tires. You can’t feel where it’s tracking, have to go on sight. Creates a disconnected feeling. Even off-road. Find it easier to parallel park my truck than this thing. And truck is four feet longer.

Front cam-glad there is one, but why no grid lines for tire placement. Also seems to run at like 20fps. Rear cam is much better.

The mode selector-why do I have to turn it once to activate the screen and then again to switch modes. Also wish eco was far left instead of between regular and sport, kinda dumb. Want to be able to press the mode button to bring up the goat off-road modes instead of having to cycle through a ton. Seems redundant.

Torque steer- if you’re going straight and accelerate it is fine. But if you need to pass someone and accelerate with the wheel turned some while switching lane it wants to pull you into the vehicle you’re passing initially. Is sketchy. Alignment is spot on. Has done since purchase. Factory and aftermarket tires, both do it.

Ford techs are suspect.

The front bumper- is too low that it affects approach with obstacles. There’s too much bumper in front of the front wheels which hinders getting the tire up on things. Can’t viper cut since the electronics and things are in the bumper.

The carpeted wheel well liners.

Some of the cons are subjective. The rattle and the B&O are my biggest gripes. Followed by the numb steering and the torque steer feeling.

These are my observations all together as a package. Is def off-road capable lil thing. No flex, so get used to dog legging it. But still goes with no issue on 2/3 or 4 tires touching. Switching modes on the fly without waiting for lockup or things to engage is choice. I’m really liking it, is def unassuming and then just rolls up terrain like how tf. And wants more. And then can smooth ride it home on the roads. Is nice piece of kit.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport review from body on frame guy. FB240810-34B5-440F-B59E-97375C6010C9
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Great write up. I hope to have as positive an experience and no rattles when mine comes in.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't have the rattles or the steering issue. The only rattle I get is when I hit a big bump, the spare tire cover jumps up and comes down as there's no latch mechanism. Putting something heavy on it as I do when carrying something eliminates the problem.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Good review, very well written and great points. A couple of things I want to highlight that I agree particularly strong with;

The lack of tracking lines, even in parking situations these would be really helpful to have and even more so on a trail considering the numb steering that doesn't communicate what the tires are actually doing. Having tracking lines on the camera would've been incredibly helpful. Perhaps it was an oversight to leave it off, maybe it was a pricepoint item they left off.

Surprisingly, I agree the car is harder to park than a full sized truck. The short wheel base is both helpful and makes things more challenging. With a longer wheel base small inputs in the wheel get less movement out of the car, with the sport and its short wheel base I find it takes a light touch on the wheel to get it straight or parked well. It requires a light and patient touch at the wheel to do it well.

For reference, my dad, coincidentally, we're not a Ford family, bought a new F-150 and I found that much easier to parallel park, and park well. I always end up crooked or about a few inches too far away from the curb in the Sport. With his car, I was doing it well right from the start.

I also agree the approach angle in the front is too low, feels sketchy approaching things. Thankfully the bashguards are fairly comprehensive. If Ford could somehow increase the angle, which would probably decrease MPG, it would be helpful. Might not be worth the compromise to Ford in terms of mass production and expected usage.

That said I also agree the shining piece of kit on the car is the AWD system. I watched all the youtube reviews and there mostly like enh its ok, its nice for a soft-roader. Maybe they didn't spend enough time with it or maybe it was the press car, but it genuinely goes and is genuinely impressive. The car will not let you down in terms of traction, even with 2 wheels on it will effectively do its job.

Also if thats alto blue, fantastic choice I must say.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Great overall review. I would agree with most everything you wrote. Seat is pretty subjective. I hate really hard bolsters and gaming chairs for PCs too. I think the Badland ones are pretty nice. I also think the seat is comfortable but would be much better with a longer bottom. Also being able to raise/lower the seat in the front and rear, independently, would greatly increase the comfort. Instead we get an up-down that just follows one track.

I disagree about the physical buttons. The car needs more. It's OK, but a second toggle on wheel for volume up/down would be 100x better than the side by side up and down buttons. The screen badly needs a hard, physical "Home" button at minimum. I wouldn't complain if there were also buttons for Audio, Map and maybe Climate with the BS having an actual Sync Climate screen that has wheel, seats and cabin settings on it. If you voice-activate a destination, the car automatically goes to the map. Then if you want to change audio, you have to use voice; or first hit the on-screen Home, then hit on-screen Audio, then make changes. There's tons of space for the buttons right below the screen in a new row, or shrink the crazy 4" long buttons.

I don't have the rattles you describe except in certain situations. Like, if the car is sealed, but the sunroof shade is open, the shade makes a rattle sound wherever it's rolled up. I find the B&O superior to the stock and adequate, but I don't give a rip about subwoofer thump. My larger complaint about the audio is that the upgraded system just has a sort of rudimentary control scheme that you could probably find on a 1970's Dodge. Like, boom, balance and fade slider. No equalizer. Just a few preset toggles.

The rubber floors are choice. It makes the left foot rest seem extra durable too. It does make the "carpet" wheel liners seem odd. I don't like how poorly the liners seal, but I just took a pressure washer to them yesterday and they cleaned up nice. Worth the small extra cleaning effort if they do indeed save fuel and noise. Working on a solution to the poor seal, especially because of the need to pressure wash there.

The mode selector varies from year to year. That is, the ordering of the GOAT modes is different from vehicle to vehicle. I wish ECO had stronger graphics to represent it instead of looking like Normal + leaf icon. Make it like Sport except in green. You get used to the double turn. At first I was all WTF. Then I just got used to how many turns I need to change it.

I like the light steering but I mostly drive it on a road. It seems luxurious even though it rides more like a truck... which I prefer. I can see how offroad that could be a detriment. The huge understeer I assume comes from being such a tiny wheelbase. I think there is also something to the active drive that pulls the vehicle. Part of an anti-rollover measure that tries to level out the body in a hard steer. I think like the dial it's something to get used to.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
For me at 5’ 8” the seat is fine and very comfortable but if you are much taller than that I can see a problem. So far I haven’t detected any annoying squeaks. I have experienced the torque steer and it startled me the first time I passed another vehicle. My only complaint with the radio is the lack of ability to change the radio station using a button or toggle on the steering wheel.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
For me at 5’ 8” the seat is fine and very comfortable but if you are much taller than that I can see a problem. So far I haven’t detected any annoying squeaks. I have experienced the torque steer and it startled me the first time I passed another vehicle. My only complaint with the radio is the lack of ability to change the radio station using a button or toggle on the steering wheel.
I'm 6'1" and find the seats super comfortable, but I also bet so much of this is subjective based on torso vs leg length.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I have felt torque steer on mine at full throttle. When I had an SRT4 it had it bad until I replaced rubber lower control arm bushings with Polyurethane bushings that resolve the torque steer issue.

With the Badlands don't stomp the pedal down ease it down gradually and torque steer is manageable.

Mine doesn't rattle, has excellent steering, and B&O sounds good. But these are massed produced vehicles they arent all exactly the same. That why before you sign take delivery take it for a long drive look vehicle over closely. Once you pull off the lot thats it you own it and dealer may or may not be willing to address issues.

Dead Gretta

Badlands
First Name
Gretta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
That is a very well written reviews. I do agree with most points, especially the sound system. One thing I have not yet experienced is the rattles from the dash and other bits. I am pretty thankful of that.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve built Jeeps, taco, etc. So am used to body on frame setups and wheeling/Dailying those type of rides. My Taco got totaled last year so was looking at something in between SUV and a truck that was still capable. I never even looked at the baby broncos until I bought one. Was looking at Cherokees, Outback wilderness. Couldn’t find a Cherokee, and the Outback when trying to go up an incline felt like it was going to explode with their rubber band trans. Screamed with minimal movement. Poor decision for something to go off-road. So that was out. Then caught a video on the BS BL. And looked like it would fit the bill. Storage, actual trans, good for the dogs, can wheel it and would be comfy to daily in between. Also looks good.

Pros-the ride is really nice, is smooth even with larger more aggressive tires. Handles bumps well and tracks like it should when going down the road. The oem shocks are quite good and matched well with the springs.

The interior ergonomics, button placement for dash, wheel and having actual physical buttons for things is huge. Has nice cockpit setup that’s usable. Doesn’t leave you guessing what’s what and there’s no giant plastic wall that other manufacturers are putting in.

The trans and motor in 2.0 is smooth and responds well, even in normal mode. Doesn’t have the tip in delay most tbw vehicles do these days. Hit gas and go, I’m a fan. Also doesn’t have the off throttle, on throttle(slowing and then accelerating) clunk or gear change lag. Seems to be in appropriate gear most times. I’m not in 6th gear at 20mph and then has to go to 3rd to move. My RDX was bad for that.

The awd system is phenomenal. Probably its strongest pro. Which is ok with me. On road and off-road just running it in normal mode it just goes and goes well. The other modes are nice if you need to switch for a lil more aggressive settings depending on terrain. And it shifts into and out of “lock” instantly. Center and rear. And can use them in normal mode also. I’ve done terrain where most would give a hard nope and have had no real issues. As long as there’s a tire touching I’m moving. Toyota has a really nice system for off-road and this performs better. Keeps power going without throttling the shit out the brakes. Keeps a positive forward momentum even at slower speeds.

The front skid on the BL is actually a good piece of kit. It’s not the thickest but the way it’s formed, it is sturdy af. I’ve hit it and just some minor scratches and no flexing in the plate from laying vehicle on it. Wish Ford would make more kit for this thing, since no one else really does.

The hvac system kicks and works well. Same with the heated seats and wheel. They throw out some damage.

The rubber floors are choice.

It looks good. I’ve built a mini defender.

The switchable front cam. Helps to see even when parking. Good way to gauge how close mid front bumper is. Nice to have off-road since I’ve always installed them myself.

CONS-the rattles, headliner in front and roof. A pillars. Constant noise. Dealer blamed unbuckled passenger belt. That isn’t it.

The B&O sound system has poor sound and buzzes with any bass, especially at volumes lower than 10. But distort above 18. So min/max is like 12-18 so it doesn’t sound as bad. But still is piss poor. But to be expected since Ford is using the same parts for audio for the last 10 years and multiple vehicles/name plates. There’s no actual sub, is a 6x9 in the rear.

The driver seat bottom is too short and puts pressure on thighs. There isn’t enough adjustability with seat bottom or the lumbar support which only goes in and out maybe a 1/2” with no up and down adjustability. The bolsters are too soft and puts you into center console or door when turning.

The steering is vague af. Way too light. Numb. Like you never know what your front end is doing. You get no feedback through the wheel. Even with beefier tires. You can’t feel where it’s tracking, have to go on sight. Creates a disconnected feeling. Even off-road. Find it easier to parallel park my truck than this thing. And truck is four feet longer.

Front cam-glad there is one, but why no grid lines for tire placement. Also seems to run at like 20fps. Rear cam is much better.

The mode selector-why do I have to turn it once to activate the screen and then again to switch modes. Also wish eco was far left instead of between regular and sport, kinda dumb. Want to be able to press the mode button to bring up the goat off-road modes instead of having to cycle through a ton. Seems redundant.

Torque steer- if you’re going straight and accelerate it is fine. But if you need to pass someone and accelerate with the wheel turned some while switching lane it wants to pull you into the vehicle you’re passing initially. Is sketchy. Alignment is spot on. Has done since purchase. Factory and aftermarket tires, both do it.

Ford techs are suspect.

The front bumper- is too low that it affects approach with obstacles. There’s too much bumper in front of the front wheels which hinders getting the tire up on things. Can’t viper cut since the electronics and things are in the bumper.

The carpeted wheel well liners.

Some of the cons are subjective. The rattle and the B&O are my biggest gripes. Followed by the numb steering and the torque steer feeling.

These are my observations all together as a package. Is def off-road capable lil thing. No flex, so get used to dog legging it. But still goes with no issue on 2/3 or 4 tires touching. Switching modes on the fly without waiting for lockup or things to engage is choice. I’m really liking it, is def unassuming and then just rolls up terrain like how tf. And wants more. And then can smooth ride it home on the roads. Is nice piece of kit.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport review from body on frame guy. FB240810-34B5-440F-B59E-97375C6010C9
Excellent review. There are a few plates out there that are easy self installs for that front bumper. I happen to have the rally innovations on mine, but wanna switch when one I know about comes out. It’s Steele.

Torque steering, I totally notice it BUT I come from a Stang. Not used to FWD (biased) and all that. I just back off on being aggressive with the throttle and it seems ok. Thankfully haven’t had it try that in the trails. Saves me a small amount of gas I’m sure, which is now actuallly money since it’s about a month of pay for a gallon of gas (it feels like).

I have the HRG lift and Falcon tires. The aggressive tread does magnify the torque steer but only on certain road surfaces.

No rattle on mine, until the windshield was replaced. Now there is a bit.

love the organizer for the cargo area and she DOES really just say “what? That 22 degree rockslide of a hill? Just watch what I do in normal. You don’t even need to stomp my throttle”. I found myself WANTING to use a goat mode (I’m a tech geek) and not getting to.

It’s my first non-stang since ‘93. But I am impressed. Seemed the off-road guys I know have been so far too. And they mostly do jeeps.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
There is a button to change the pre programmed stations. It's on the right side.

Overall the whole review is pretty spot on. I don't have the steering issues, though maybe I'm just used to older cars really loosy goosy steering. The seats seem to be dependent upon your height, seems if you're shorter like me 5'9 or less they're generally well liked, if you're taller, not so much.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Can you send me a picture of that button to change the radio station? Thanks

Deleted member 7904

Torque steer is very noticeable when accelerating to pass...caught me by surprise.
Sponsored