Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
OP ! Relax mine do that. They sit all nite, get wet or are wet. The surface rusts just a little and the pads get really cold.
That pig squealing is the vibration as they smooth back out and dry.

Last edited:

ryguy14

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
OP ! Relax mine do that. They sit all nite, get wet or are wet. The surface rusts just a little and the pads get really cold.
That pig squealing is the vibration as they smooth back out and dry.
But why only some Bronco's? Quite frankly it's embarrassing. Mine is very loud.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I posted this in the other thread regarding the recall, but I'll repost here to save you a click. In my experience, squeaky pads with new brakes poses no danger to how the brakes function. As many have noted, the squeak occurs with light or no pedal pressure. If you step hard on the pedal the squeak goes away. Here's why: The squeak is really a high-frequency vibration; the brake pad is rubbing on the disk as the disk turns and the rubbing causes the brake pad to vibrate at a frequency that makes noise we can hear, the same way rubbing the bow across the strings on a violin causes the strings to vibrate and make noise. When you step hard on the brakes you pinch the brake pad between the caliper piston and the disk, which limits how much the pad can vibrate.

BTW, your brakes may be squealing all the time, just not at a frequency you can hear. You can tell because your dog barks every time you step on the brakes. (I just made that part up, but your brakes COULD be squeaking/squealing at a frequency you can't hear--especially if you're as old as me.)

The fix for squeaking/squealing brakes is typically a shim and/or a special kind of paste that goes between the brake pad and piston. The shim/grease serves as a damper, which works the same way as putting your finger a tuning fork; it kills the vibration.

Many brake pads are manufactured with the damper already installed. It's usually a rubberized backing on the side of the pad facing the piston.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I have the same problem. A couple months into owning my Big Bend only in reverse, the breaks squeal, and loudly too. I get constant people looking at me with terror. I've taken it to two dealerships and they both told me nothings wrong, and that it's just moisture. They said breaks squeal and that's that.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I’ll see how I can assist with your brake concern on my end.

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've mentioned this to them and they tell me I'm wrong.
Tell them you might be wrong, but you want them replaced anyway lol. All I can say is new pads got rid of the noise for me right away and it never returned.

I worked at a tire shop for 12 years when I was younger that also did mechanical work, so something to do with the pads being the culprit was immediately on my radar. I let them go through the motions of inspecting, lubing everything, scratching their heads, before I had them replace the pads.

ryguy14

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Tell them you might be wrong, but you want them replaced anyway lol. All I can say is new pads got rid of the noise for me right away and it never returned.

I worked at a tire shop for 12 years when I was younger that also did mechanical work, so something to do with the pads being the culprit was immediately on my radar. I let them go through the motions of inspecting, lubing everything, scratching their heads, before I had them replace the pads.
I will definitely call them and tell them, likely I'll be paying for the break pads out of my own pocket in stead of getting them under warranty, but it will be well worth not hearing the sound of an elephant every time I reverse.

DavidJo3

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
While backing up using light pedal pressure on the brakes they squeal like a pig stuck in the fence. I thought that it was just a new/bed-in issue but it is just getting worse. Doesn't do it going forward or with heavier pedal pressure. Anyone else have this?
Yes! That has been happening to us too. Apparently, Ford will issue a recall for rear brakes in January of 2022 for some owners.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I have only had this happen to me once, and it was while I was backing down a driveway right after I finished washing my car.

rvillebronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
audi
I have had the same issue with my BL since day one. I am at 18,000 miles and the noise has not worked itself out. I am taking it to the dealer this week. It's a real problem.

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have had the same issue with my BL since day one. I am at 18,000 miles and the noise has not worked itself out. I am taking it to the dealer this week. It's a real problem.
This is definitely an issue Ford has been tracking so the dealership should be able to see that other people have had this issue (I'm not exactly sure how that works but I know it exists). I have no idea if it's related to the recall, but if not it's AWFULLY coincidental. My dealer replaced my pads and rotors and the problem was solved. They agreed the noise was not normal. For those who are saying some squeaking is normal, this is not normal squeaking, this is very loud whining. I've heard it described as a fog horn which is a pretty accurate description.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My BB had rear brake noise backing up, wet, dry, it didn’t matter. I traded it off for several other reasons and bought an OB, it hasn’t done it as of yet, I’m at 7000 miles.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have no idea if it's related to the recall, but if not it's AWFULLY coincidental. My dealer replaced my pads and rotors and the problem was solved.
The causes of noisy brakes are well known (try a google search for "what causes noisy brakes") and easily fixed. A competent shop would likely not even have to replace the pads. Of course, this kind of noise is unacceptable on a new car, and anyone experiencing it should take it back to the dealer for repair under warranty.

That said, I don't believe the noise problem some are having is related to the recall, and here's why: The recall resulted because Ford stopped installing a sensor on the vacuum line that powers the brake booster. NOTE: I don't know why Ford stopped using the sensors, but my guess is it couldn't keep the sensors stocked due to supply chain issues--more below. On cars with the sensor installed the system detects a loss of vacuum (which would most likely result if the engine quits), which means the brake booster is no longer functioning. The brake booster multiplies hydraulic pressure in the brake lines, and without it you have to press really hard on the pedal to stop. If you've ever tried to stop a car with the engine turned off you know what I mean. If your car has the sensor, the system detects a brake booster failure and incorporates assistance from the anti-lock brake system to stop the car. Cars without the sensor cannot tell when the brake booster has failed and do not get assistance from the ABS module. The NHTSA sets a minimum standard for stopping distance in the event of a brake booster failure, and Bronco Sports without the sensor failed to meet that standard. Cars with the sensor meet the NHTSA standard and are not affected by the recall.

Ford's proposed fix for cars affected by the recall is to replace the rear brake pads with ones that provide higher friction. You may be asking why Ford doesn't simply install the sensors. My guess is because of supply chain issues, and because it can achieve the same result (meeting NHTSA standards) by replacing the brake pads.

What all of this means to me is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the braking system, which includes the brake pads installed at the factory, as long as everything is functioning normally. If you're brakes are making weird noises take it back for a warranty repair.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I have seen a couple of ppl on Facebook post up videos of their backing up brake noise. Sounds like a ship horn pulling into a harbor. Probably glazed pads/rotors is the issue. Normal for a new car? Hmmmm......

ThatWilsonGuy

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2dr JK Rubicon
This issue is the single biggest issue with my wife's Sport and I don't except that this is a normal function of brakes, or that it is related to environmental conditions.

This happens every time in reverse, out of the garage when completely dry or out of a parking stall in the rain.

It may not be a safety issue but it is a constant and daily negative experience for an otherwise enjoyable vehicle.

I'm not sure of the accuracy but a friend that is a mechanic said it could be the parking break dragging when first moved. I would say backing up is the first movement from parking 95% of the time so maybe that is part of it but there are no noises during normal driving.

We have been hoping it would just break-in and go away but it hit 10k miles today and sounds possibly worse so we'll see what the dealership say on our next visit.
Sponsored