Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I put 235/70r17 Cooper Discoverers on. It doesnt rub, but its close enough that mud in the wheel wells will grind off at full lock. As others have said its not height, but the width of the wheel well that limits tire size, and anything over 30in will need some modifications. The liners are just felt, so rubbing wont really hurt anything anyway, but that pinch weld is obnoxiously placed and will definitely mess up a tire.
So are you satisfied with the ride and look of the 70 series sidewalls , what is your over all diameter of those coopers ?thanks. Do you have any side view of the front tires ?

Ford Bronco Sport Big Tires for BS Badlands C4969CB8-C6D5-4768-9950-236777FF0CA8
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
BFG had to beef up the K02's because there was a period where the KO2's had sidewall issues.
Some people still have problems with the sidewalls as well as other issues.
I think there are better choices than K02's.
My son has to get his rebalanced often. I don’t get it, never had to rebalance tires. He says it’s a known issue with the KO2’s

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Big Tires for BS Badlands 20220618_094900

Heres just after I put them on. They're 30.1in, XL rated, only slightly heavier than the Falken OEMs. Quieter ride too. I dont drive aggressively, but no effect on handling that I can tell and no effect on mpg either

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Heres just after I put them on. They're 30.1in, XL rated, only slightly heavier than the Falken OEMs. Quieter ride too. I dont drive aggressively, but no effect on handling that I can tell and no effect on mpg either
Are these 235/70-17’s or 245/70-17’s? Your earlier post says 235’s but I don’t see those listed anywhere.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My son has to get his rebalanced often. I don’t get it, never had to rebalance tires. He says it’s a known issue with the KO2’s
Your son is correct, that is one of many issues people have been having with KO2's

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's safe to assume that they are calling them cheap in comparison to the retail Wildpeak A/T3W. Since you know everything I'm sure you're fully aware that many OE spec'd tires are not the same as what you can buy from a tire retailer. Also, keep in mind that you posted a review for the retail version of the AT3W, not the OE version that comes on the Bronco Sport which was probably made lighter and "cheaper" at Ford's direction for fuel mileage or ride comfort or who knows why.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/original-equipment-vs-replacement-tires
It was made different to improve road noise (round edges) and weight for gas mileage. I’ve been pleased with it and I’ve had lots of different tires over the past 50 years. I agree, I wouldn’t take them on really sharp rocky terrain, but for rain, mud, and snow, they work great. These are still available from tire suppliers, not just dealers.

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
I don't think it's fair to call them cheap. The OEM tires were not intended to be hardcore off-road capable like the full-size Bronco. They are meant to be a compromise, much like the Bronco Sport itself, offering acceptable--even above average--road manners while proving quite capable off-road. It's true they aren't as durable as other more off-road oriented tires are, but they have proven more capable off-road than typical AT-type tires, and definitely more daily driver friendly than hardcore off-roaders like the KO2.
I only think that they cheap in comparison to every other size of the AT3W. If they called them something else, I think that they are a fine tire. But the AT3W is not supposed to be a light, efficient tire, it is supposed to be a great, bulletproof, aggressive, long lasting true AT tire, and it is, in every iteration but this one. It doesn't even look like an AT3W. Folks order these Falkens and expect Falkens. They get these. I understand that many are happy with them, and that is great. They are good options for someone who wants a lighter, more efficient ride, which I would say that drivers of 1.5L should consider.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Are those coopers with an add on lift or are they on a non lifted first edition ? I have. First edition, looking to get a 1 inch boost with a bigger tire , I am a mall crawler type guy . Your thoughts if you would . Thanks jim Pittsburgh

Ford Bronco Sport Big Tires for BS Badlands 35CC4B7D-AB39-4D3B-9D65-8BAA92C8CD17

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Are those coopers with an add on lift or are they on a non lifted first edition ? I have. First edition, looking to get a 1 inch boost with a bigger tire , I am a mall crawler type guy . Your thoughts if you would . Thanks jim Pittsburgh

Ford Bronco Sport Big Tires for BS Badlands 35CC4B7D-AB39-4D3B-9D65-8BAA92C8CD17
You can run 245/65/17 with or without a lift. The lift doesn’t really change anything with respect to tire size.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can run 245/65/17 with or without a lift. The lift doesn’t really change anything with respect to tire size.
Yes thanks Eric , that’s more than likely what I will end up doing , just thought if he had a photo of side view for a look see . Of what they look like with the 235/70 /17 . No lift on mine , didn’t know if they would look out of place . That will be 1/4 inch from the liners getting maybe a little close , what say you ?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes thanks Eric , that’s more than likely what I will end up doing , just thought if he had a photo of side view for a look see . Of what they look like with the 235/70 /17 . No lift on mine , didn’t know if they would look out of place . That will be 1/4 inch from the liners getting maybe a little close , what say you ?
I would say that is pretty close to the limit, but I think he is quoting tire spec size, not a measurement. When I look at www.tiresize.com for the 235/70/17 it reports a 30” size though. Since we know the tire rub happens when the wheel is turned, the 10mm reduction in width will probably offset the extra 1/2” in tire diameter over what we know as the limit with a 245 width at 29.5”. I’m betting that is a very good option and I do believe it has been reported here before. The 235 width is also a better pick for snow or mud, as it will cut in to soft stuff better.

It is kind of a high school geometry problem and I think my engineering mind is getting that geometry correct.

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say that is pretty close to the limit, but I think he is quoting tire spec size, not a measurement. When I look at www.tiresize.com for the 235/70/17 it reports a 30” size though. Since we know the tire rub happens when the wheel is turned, the 10mm reduction in width will probably offset the extra 1/2” in tire diameter over what we know as the limit with a 245 width at 29.5”. I’m betting that is a very good option and I do believe it has been reported here before. The 235 width is also a better pick for snow or mud, as it will cut in to soft stuff better.

It is kind of a high school geometry problem and I think my engineering mind is getting that geometry correct.
Thanks for your ideas, spent some time at a brand new Discount Tire, the manager and his crew went all out and was learning as they were trying a few different tires , they definitely are right on with your pick , so when I get back from Florida , I have a set of cooper 235/70/17 to try out on my bronco . I will follow up down the road with a report on how they are . How is your project on your rebadge front end coming along. Thanks again .

Ford Bronco Sport Big Tires for BS Badlands EF30F17F-9F1A-4C62-B17B-4B4632DD6C7D
Sponsored