BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So I'm thinking of getting FordScan for my "fleet" of Ford vehicles. We've got 2, my dad has a truck and my sister just bought an Explorer ST. What's the best cable to mate up with the app?
Sponsored

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
First of all, it's called FORScan, not FordScan. I only point this out because not knowing the name of the program could be an indication that you haven't researched it very much. I'd recommend doing a lot of reading on FORScan, how to set it up, and how to use it.

There is a good thread here that you should read and the first post has the link to the Tutorial. Virtually every Ford forum out there links to this same Tutorial, so please read it. At the beginning are a few links to recommended ODBII connectors. Just grab one of those and you'll be set.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/bronco-forscan-thread.844/

Here is a direct link to the tutorial.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
As mentioned, OBDLink EX.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
this works well.. OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter https://a.co/d/aMoSMgC
That’s the one I use. Also have the same brand with the switch. It’s what I first used it with my 17 F250 to make FORscan changes.

The current version of FORscan gives an alert that the type with the switch may not read all the modules correctly.

OP
OP
BillC

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, it's called FORScan, not FordScan. I only point this out because not knowing the name of the program could be an indication that you haven't researched it very much. I'd recommend doing a lot of reading on FORScan, how to set it up, and how to use it.

There is a good thread here that you should read and the first post has the link to the Tutorial. Virtually every Ford forum out there links to this same Tutorial, so please read it. At the beginning are a few links to recommended ODBII connectors. Just grab one of those and you'll be set.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/bronco-forscan-thread.844/

Here is a direct link to the tutorial.
Thanks for talking down to me there. Because of the autocorrect on my handheld device, FORScan comes out as FordScan. I'm glad you fancy yourself an expert on diagnostics. It was a simple question, and I desired a simple answer.

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
I'm not talking down to you. Anyone looking to get into reprogramming their Ford vehicle should spend a lot of time reading about it. That's sound advice to anyone and I wouldn't consider anyone above that type of advice. I'm not sure why that's offensive to you, but it wasn't intended as such.

I also took the time to link to the site's FORScan thread, which I intended to be helpful to you.

I also took the time to direct link to the Tutorial, which I intended to be helpful to you and it also give direct information on which is the best cable ... from the people who literally wrote the book on the subject.

I apologize for giving you this information, as it wasn't intended for anything but to point you in the right direction to have a good experience with FORScan.

Sig Oris

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BSOB
Thanks for talking down to me there. Because of the autocorrect on my handheld device, FORScan comes out as FordScan. I'm glad you fancy yourself an expert on diagnostics. It was a simple question, and I desired a simple answer.
Think that’s bad, wait till you do a duplicate post and see how fast the Post Patrollers swam on you like flies on sheet. 😳

OP
OP
BillC

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think that’s bad, wait till you do a duplicate post and see how fast the Post Patrollers swam on you like flies on sheet. 😳
I know right? Didn't want a complicated answer, just a hand with picking the right adaptor.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I don't think anyone was out to talk down to the OP. I too sometimes get frustrated with auto correct, as I don't always proof read my statements prior to hitting the post reply. For example, I might have looked at your post, and thought it might be another tool, rather than what you were actually after.

However, with something as potentially powerful enough to make changes to how my vehicle operates, I appreciate anyone looking out for me, and pointing out a link on what I need to know prior to taking a step.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Unless someone gets personal, I always assume other forum members are trying to help me or to be funny rather than trying to be disrespectful. Then again, I grew up as a USAF flight crewmember, and we mercilessly dissected each others' performance following every flight. Plus I've been married for several decades. Between the two, I'm quite used to having my faults and mistakes pointed out to me...

OP
OP
BillC

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don't like the tone of the answer. And yes, I've been inside the computers or modules of many vehicles, both with a scanner and physically. So I'm somewhat familiar with the CANBUS and multiplex systems that most vehicles are equipped with, and I am also VERY familiar with having to deny a person warranty after they've been messing around with the parameters of a given module, having spent the better part of 10 years working on the service floor of GM and Ford dealers.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don't like the tone of the answer. And yes, I've been inside the computers or modules of many vehicles, both with a scanner and physically. So I'm somewhat familiar with the CANBUS and multiplex systems that most vehicles are equipped with, and I am also VERY familiar with having to deny a person warranty after they've been messing around with the parameters of a given module, having spent the better part of 10 years working on the service floor of GM and Ford dealers.
I did not know that about you, nor I'm betting the person that commented on the spell check error.

All is good I'd say. I learned something from this; check my response prior to posting a reply to make sure it does not come across as potentially offensive.

Should we all meet, I'll buy the first round. Great group of folks here.

Plus, to thank Mark S for his service in the USAF.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Plus, to thank Mark S for his service in the USAF.
Don't thank me; I got more out of the USAF than it ever got from me. Instead, this Memorial Day set a Missing Man place at your table, and talk to your family about why you're doing it. The people we can no longer thank are the ones who deserve it the most.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't thank me; I got more out of the USAF than it ever got from me. Instead, this Memorial Day set a Missing Man place at your table, and talk to your family about why you're doing it. The people we can no longer thank are the ones who deserve it the most.
Wow. Never heard it put that way. Very powerful way to honor those.

I still however thank you for your services.
Sponsored