Badlands Test Drive

Traceee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru
It feels big, it's shorter than my Crosstrek was but wider. The width makes is feel largger than it is. The raised up square good also makes it seem large.

The actual interior was plenty roomy, I didn't get into the back seat but the cargo area seemed comparable to my crosstrek.

FYI I'm 6' about 240lbs and it had plenty of space up front for me.

I didn't notice the constant corrections, maybe the reviewer was confused about the lane centering....it's very aggressive. My only issue with the driving was I didn't like the way it cornered. However I'm coming from a Crosstrek which corners very well.

I just joined the forum 5 min ago so I could say “WHAT”? how could this Bronco Sport be shorter than the Crosstrek? I have a 2018 Crosstrek which has been a great car but i want my next vehicle to be more of an SUV and less car-like. Does it feel a little higher off the ground when you are seated behind the wheel? Oh well, shorter than the crosstrek, I never saw that coming!! My local dealer has a bunch in-transit, I can’t wait to check one out in person.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I just joined the forum 5 min ago so I could say “WHAT”? how could this Bronco Sport be shorter than the Crosstrek? I have a 2018 Crosstrek which has been a great car but i want my next vehicle to be more of an SUV and less car-like. Does it feel a little higher off the ground when you are seated behind the wheel? Oh well, shorter than the crosstrek, I never saw that coming!! My local dealer has a bunch in-transit, I can’t wait to check one out in person.
It's definitely more of an SUV feel. The seating is much higher up. You're not going to realize it's shorter when you stand next to it. It feels larger than it is because of the square shape.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Another small update I probably won't post a full review till tomorrow to be honest.

I will say overall I'm very pleased with the fit and finish on the inside. It's definitely a step up from the escape that is based on The leather is super nice, has a real soft texture. Really pleasing to the touch.
How is the rubber flooring? I saw one video where it seemed loose and not particularly secured to the floor. Does it feel durable?

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Dealer near me has a BS Badlands, I test drove it last week. Overall not bad, but the they had tire psi at 45 so ride quality was uncertain. There was some steering wander as others have mentioned.

One thing of note, in the second picture, the view out the front window seemed on the small side.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Test Drive 20201209_120630 1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Test Drive 20201209_120558 2

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Dealer near me has a BS Badlands, I test drove it last week. Overall not bad, but the they had tire psi at 45 so ride quality was uncertain. There was some steering wander as others have mentioned.

One thing of note, in the second picture, the view out the front window seemed on the small side.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Test Drive 20201209_120630 1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Test Drive 20201209_120558 2
The small view bugged me also, I've gotten used to those sloped down hoods. I didn't mention the steering because I thought maybe it was just me, but I had trouble keeping it centered also.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The small view bugged me also, I've gotten used to those sloped down hoods. I didn't mention the steering because I thought maybe it was just me, but I had trouble keeping it centered also.
I noticed the small view too, but didn’t say anything because my current escape has a gigantic windshield so I wasn’t sure if it was just me ?

BigfootHunter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BLBL KB
Great Info, looking at a badlands too, why is it that dealerships aren't selling the 2.0L models until a "certain number of miles" or "days on the lot"?

At the local dealer we were told the GM had it checked out, and they couldn't sell it until 127 days on the lot or 400 miles... made no sense to me.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Great Info, looking at a badlands too, why is it that dealerships aren't selling the 2.0L models until a "certain number of miles" or "days on the lot"?

At the local dealer we were told the GM had it checked out, and they couldn't sell it until 127 days on the lot or 400 miles... made no sense to me.
Your dealer just has what they call a mannequin. Those are vehicles that the dealer can’t sell until they have 4,000 (I believe) miles on them. The dealer could have picked out any trim they wanted for these vehicles but a lot are choosing the badlands. Your dealer will probably get some regular badlands to sell any day now, mine already has some.

BigfootHunter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BLBL KB
Interesting, never heard of it, but looking into it seems that those are usually the ones you see in the dealership loaded up with extra aftermarket parts, etc.? This was just a normal Badlands. Having no dealer experience on the other side of the table, what's the benefit to the dealer to do it that way instead of just selling it when it's in stock? Seems like it would be worth less at the end of the mannequin period, sorry to get off topic, just blew my mind when they told me they couldn't sell it.

That being said, I really prefer the aluminum "steel wheel" look versus what I saw on it, but haven't seen any of them in person yet to really tell.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Interesting, never heard of it, but looking into it seems that those are usually the ones you see in the dealership loaded up with extra aftermarket parts, etc.? This was just a normal Badlands. Having no dealer experience on the other side of the table, what's the benefit to the dealer to do it that way instead of just selling it when it's in stock? Seems like it would be worth less at the end of the mannequin period, sorry to get off topic, just blew my mind when they told me they couldn't sell it.

That being said, I really prefer the aluminum "steel wheel" look versus what I saw on it, but haven't seen any of them in person yet to really tell.
I think the mannequins get used as loaner vehicles. I guess it’s a good way to get the vehicle out in public and also gets some people driving it when they might not otherwise.

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
When you guys mention this "steering wandering" could it be a result of the over-inflated tires???

Coming from a solid front axle on my Jeep, I would be shocked that the Bronco Sport's IFS wouldn't drive/steer way better than a Jeep Wrangler -- in fact, Jeep recently had to "recall" the steering boxes in the JL Wrangler/JT Gladiator since the initial aluminum boxes were crap (they swapped out to the old steel steering boxes) -- but both of these have a solid front axles

I can personally attest that driving longer distances, while having to constantly correct steering, will fatigue many owners...

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
When you guys mention this "steering wandering" could it be a result of the over-inflated tires???
I was wondering about the same thing. Could this also be attributed to the lane keeping assist perhaps? And can that be turned off? From what I’ve seen so far, you only have the ability to adjust the sensitivity in the settings.
Coming from a solid front axle on my Jeep, I would be shocked that the Bronco Sport's IFS wouldn't drive/steer way better than a Jeep Wrangler -- in fact, Jeep recently had to "recall" the steering boxes in the JL Wrangler/JT Gladiator since the initial aluminum boxes were crap (they swapped out to the old steel steering boxes) -- but both of these have a solid front axles

I can personally attest that driving longer distances, while having to constantly correct steering, will fatigue many owners...

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Sorry, I didn’t reply correctly. Sorry for the confusion.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The **potential** steering issue has been brought up by multiple sources, including several reviewers.

Need someone with long distance or professional driving experience to chime in and deny or confirm.
Sponsored