fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I don't see that issue at all , I really like the back up camera system .
Sponsored

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My backup camera ā€¦ at night the glare from the plate lights seems to drown out image. If itā€™s raining and lens is wet it is even worse.
Haven't seen ā€¢excessiveā€¢ glare, but the license plate lights being within the field of view of the camera does introduce some challenges at night.

I'm wondering if perhaps there's some dealer applied polish / paint-shine that got on the camera lens.

Is it glare (haloing around the area of the light with localized image wash-out), lens-flare (rays / beams), or just generally washing-out the entire image (white-out)?

I know you said glare, confirming we're both referring to the same phenomenon.

carlea_w

Badlands
First Name
Carlea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My backup camera is great and works well during daylight, at night the glare from the plate lights seems to drown out image. If itā€™s raining and lens is wet it is even worse.
I use and rely on my mirrors for backing but since itā€™s there Iā€™d like to use it lol.

Anyone elsehave this issue ? Any thoughts or ideas how to fix?
I just picked my BL/BL up a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the back-up camera being hazy at night, which must be a result of the light issue you are talking about. The other thing I notice is that the view from the rearview mirror at night is really, really dark so way less helpful at night. Backing up blind. I wondered if the auto-dim feature is stuck on "dim"?

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just picked my BL/BL up a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the back-up camera being hazy at night, which must be a result of the light issue you are talking about. The other thing I notice is that the view from the rearview mirror at night is really, really dark so way less helpful at night. Backing up blind. I wondered if the auto-dim feature is stuck on "dim"?
It's definitely the license plate lights glaring the camera. They are led and are way too bright. This issue has been seen on the F150 as well. Some people put recessed lamp fixtures in on the f150s. I've been thinking about interrupting them with a relay when in reverse. I looked up the wiring, but haven't had time to dig into it yet.

wbrainbow

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy
Iā€™m working on a louvre to attach to the license plate lights to direct the light straight instead of diffusing upward at the camera.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My view tonight lol

Ford Bronco Sport Back up camera glare from the plate lights 899DA019-AF22-4CEB-90ED-2964D765993A
TBH, that looks like fouling on the surface of lens itself, not just glare. Any chance you can get a close-up (cellphone?) photo of the camera's lens itself the next time you see that kind of view?

I'm assuming given your location (PA) and time of year that this is water + dirt not snow-slush + deicer.

Still waiting for heavy rain driving here.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser