B&O this sounds terrible

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
All of this "it's horrible" accompanied by "it's pretty good" still makes me want to hear from two owners who meet up and listen to each other's B&O sound systems. It just seems that there is a lot of inconsistency. We just need to determine if it is in the systems or the ears.
Preferences...and tolerance/intolerance against whatever "ideal" is that preference. I don't need ridiculously loud, nor really the loud even on the highway with all the windows down experiences anymore, myself. (I am an active jazz/pop/classical musician and former music teacher, btw.) Personally, listening to music in my Badlands w/B&O is still way down on my list of priorities, but I'm actually surprised how good the SiriusXM sounds in there, after careful adjustment of everything else. It has its shortcomings -- it's not loud enough (sometimes), distortion and interior vibration start way too soon above a "moderate" volume, the "sub" is hardly sub-bass at all (is it better than nothing? I don't know); is there any control over the "center channel" (there's a speaker -- is it a separate channel, I don't think so?). I think I'd enjoy a little bit more sound insulation or whatever would be required to turn it up a little higher before cabin vibrations set in -- 15-18 on the dial is about the limit now, a little uncomfortable at that. I have the sound field (?) focused just at the leading edge center of the rear seat, which helps and seems to be best (otherwise it seems tinny and too front-biased for my taste anyway). I suspect the fronts can handle a little more than the little backs -- which may be why mine adjusted more to the rear get me a less "loud" peak experience when I'm wanting to turn it up more. I'd agree, this thing is not built to handle a lot of lows/bass before breaking up or creating unbearable cabin vibration. I find myself setting things a little on the brighter side just to get more volume/clarity at a bit higher volume.
Sponsored

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I did post something similar prior. But I cringe every time it plays and sounds muddy and distorted. I know that I have to have the midrange turned almost all the way down. Is at like 1 or it’ll distort bad. Again don’t need to push the mids with what I listen to. CarPlay and Sirius sound the best. Think is the dsp murdering the levels or there’s something up with the amp.
The thumb drive with flac files doesn’t sound clear. My gripe is it was an extra option and it sounds just as bad as the 4 speaker Outback wilderness I cross shopped.
Again glad folks on here like it. I’d like to like it too. I had an escape rental with the upgraded stereo and was twice as loud and is basically the same setup.
My husband has an Outback Wilderness (which is standard with 6 speakers) and I prefer my B&O to his Outback. But his Outback sounds pretty good. Maybe there is actually something up with yours?

I will say, it is too quiet for me meaning I have to turn it a lot louder than I see most people here mention. But I don't need to turn it to max volume. My usual volume is 22-23 and that is very loud. I wouldn't listen to that volume with a passenger in the car for example. At that level you can easily hear the music outside my car and probably in my house. Listening to talk radio I usually have it at about 14-16. It doesn't sound distorted when I turn it up loud. My husband's previous vehicle was a Gladiator and the speakers in that were actually seriously horrible. You couldn't hear them on the highway even at max volume. I'm only sharing that to hopefully prove that I do know the difference between loud and quiet and I like it loud lol.

I prefer the surround setting, and I have the fade slightly behind the front seat because the front speakers are way too loud and I'd rather hear the bass. My biggest complaint is that the front speakers in the door are too punchy I guess if that is the right word, and as a result the bass rattles the doors instead of being what I would call smooth. I have something wedged in the door panel on both sides to absorb some of the rattle but it's still there. I've learned to kind of ignore it. I hope that helps.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My usual volume is 22-23 and that is very loud.
This is more common with higher quality systems that tend to have greater dynamic range. Dynamic range is the difference in volume between the highest and lowest volume parts in a given track. You have to turn up the volume to hear the quiet parts, which makes the louder parts really loud.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Why? Because of the opinion of some random person on the internet?
Mostly because I listen to podcasts most of the time in the car, and I don't need premium sound for that, plus not having the premium package got my BSBL scheduled in 3 weeks instead of 3 months.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Audio is always REALLY subjective, especially when you have people who value high quality sound more than others to begin with. (One person's "terrible!" is another person's "pretty decent".)
Maybe I'm crazy, but it doesn't seem like much of a subjective issue if OP's audio needs to be turned up to 18 to even be audible. But like so many others, we'll just bat this one around while OP refutes all the suggestions, as if that will fix it better/sooner/cheaper than rolling into a Ford dealer. Or as someone else already said, an entirely different brand dealership. I get the feeling this may not be a "solve my issue" type post anyways.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
is there any control over the "center channel" (there's a speaker -- is it a separate channel, I don't think so?).
I believe it is, if only because when you use Google Maps or the like via Carplay, the audio ONLY comes from the center channel.

SenzeiReese

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I regular have mine at 20 with B&O and it feels like it struggles to drown out a normal speaking voice, no matter the source, fade placement, or EQ. 20 with the windows down is useless.

20 was the limit in the Fusion I had with Sony speakers with the windows up.
I thought maybe the bigger cab made a difference but now I just think they're weak.

brianloch1974

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have the stock system. That being said, I had a similar issue. Sound was just plain horrible. Upon investigation Dolby Atmos was activated on my phone. I turned it off and issue resolved.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
For being advertised as a upgraded 10 speaker premium B&O sound system with a premium sub woofer it falls way short. Ford should have done way better than this. Just sounding OK is not good enough! IMO

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The amplifier/DSP may be faulty. It’s hard to say without listening.

I don’t have any experience with the B&O system yet so I can’t comment on how I think it sounds.

Like I’ve mentioned before, Hi-Fi has been a hobby of mine for many years. I’ve spent a decent amount on my current setup. The search for better sound quality is never ending!

When I get my Badlands with the B&O system I will give my honest opinion.

2XIPA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Civic, and a Subaru
I heard it in my buddy's Bronco and it sounded junk. Especially at higher levels. It was marginally better than the Bose in my convertible. But I'm still hoping for the best.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t own any B&O products and likely never will.

I understand B&O has a reputation as a premium audio brand.

Why would B&O agree to put their branding on a car audio system that, according to some, is pretty bad?

Either they don’t care about their brand and money is more important than their reputation, or Ford is putting any old crap in the car and claiming it’s premium.

Personally, I think a system that is advertised as premium and by a specific brand should have components designed and/or made by that brand.
Sponsored