Auto Stop / Start not working

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ask your service department to perform a load test, not a voltage check. A load test applies an electrical load equal to a percentage of the maximum cranking amperage for around 15 seconds, during which the battery voltage should not drop below approx 9.6 amps. Following a load test, the battery should retain enough voltage to power all vehicle systems. If voltage drops below 9.6 during the test, and/or it doesn't retain enough juice to power vehicle systems after, then it needs to be replaced.

Here's more info about load testing.
Appreciate the info, I'll get in touch with them tomorrow as I highly suspect this is the issue
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Been having the same issues described above for countless months, every time I come to a stop the status on the info display says "Engine on due to vehicle charging." I was thinking I'm alone in this.

If I charge it with a 2 amp trickle charger, it finally decides to work....however only for about a day. It will shut the engine off maybe 7 times max, then it's back to square one. My dealer is smaller and not as knowledgeable, but this is annoying and something I'd like to resolve. Do I just have to go through the back and forth to get a new battery under warranty?
Got a resolution today: I noticed when going through the Engineering Testing screens that it was charging at 15.4 volts. I thought that was a bit high. They ran their test on the battery, said it came back good. They also reset the battery charging system. I checked it once I got out, now it's down at 14.6 where it should be. Auto stop start is working for the time being. Will keep you guys posted in the coming weeks.

Ford Bronco Sport Auto Stop / Start  not working 20230327_115250

Ford Bronco Sport Auto Stop / Start  not working 20230328_120850

OP
OP

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Finally got around to taking BSOB to dealer for auto stop/start not working. They did state of charge test and charged battery to 100%. Said Battery is fine. A S/S worked afterward. . OB is 13 months old, 6000 miles. Dealer says I don't drive enough.
I am considering a solar trickle charger, plugged into 12V receptacle. But one post says that 12V receptacle powers off after a while. Does anyone have one of those chargers that actually keeps the battery charged enough to keep A S/S working? I am sure I have a bad battery but dealer says I don't. I asked service manager how much I need to drive car to keep battery charged enough for A S/S and he could not answer the question. I drive about 600 miles a month , mostly short trips. Once a month I might drive 80 miles on Interstate.
Foghorn

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
600 a month even if its short trips should be enough for a healthy battery. How old is the battery?

I'd still keep a battery tender on it, even if its a new battery.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
They did state of charge test and charged battery to 100%. Said Battery is fine. A S/S worked afterward.
The lead-acid batteries installed at the factory are sealed, so a state of charge test is just a fancy way to say "voltage test." Start-stop worked after they recharged your battery because the "state of charge" was at or near maximum. My guess is that after a few days use your battery will discharge enough that the system will again disable SS.

The only battery test that will tell you what you need to know with a sealed lead-acid battery is a load test. A specific load is applied to the battery for a specific amount of time during which voltage is measured. If the voltage drops too low during the test the battery must be replaced.

If your SS system stops working again take your car back to your dealership and ask the techs to perform a battery load test before recharging it. If they don't have the right equipment, take your car to a shop that has it.

Here's more info about testing batteries.

OP
OP

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks...The battery is original to the OB, so 13 months. Worked perfectly for first 6 months and then A S/S stopped working.

In regard to load test. I am grateful for the advice , but I am tired, and not a little angry that I must tell dealer what test to perform to make my newish, under full warranty vehicle work properly.
I am beginning to see why owners pay for a new battery out of their own pocket for a warranty vehicle. Too much to expect dealer to step up.
I liked the buying experience at the dealer, no B.S. and love the BS, but crummy dealer service will make me look elsewhere next time. Alternative dealer is a long drive. I dread thought of a serious problem.
fog

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks...The battery is original to the OB, so 13 months. Worked perfectly for first 6 months and then A S/S stopped working.

In regard to load test. I am grateful for the advice , but I am tired, and not a little angry that I must tell dealer what test to perform to make my newish, under full warranty vehicle work properly.
I am beginning to see why owners pay for a new battery out of their own pocket for a warranty vehicle. Too much to expect dealer to step up.
I liked the buying experience at the dealer, no B.S. and love the BS, but crummy dealer service will make me look elsewhere next time. Alternative dealer is a long drive. I dread thought of a serious problem.
fog
And then, the dealer wins, as most likely, the service department has quota's, and if they can save a buck or two here and there, it adds up and they look good.

A hassle to yourself to do, but keep taking it back until they finally replace it. I've mentioned this before in other threads; ask your service advisor for the phone number of the regional service manager and talk to them. It may get you the replacement battery sooner, if that is what the issue is.

Sparkster12

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150
And then, the dealer wins, as most likely, the service department has quota's, and if they can save a buck or two here and there, it adds up and they look good.

A hassle to yourself to do, but keep taking it back until they finally replace it. I've mentioned this before in other threads; ask your service advisor for the phone number of the regional service manager and talk to them. It may get you the replacement battery sooner, if that is what the issue is.
After five trips to the dealer they finally replaced my battery. Don't give up, that's what they want you to do.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sport Mode?
True, one of the things (?) the other poster's list above omits -- IIRC the G.O.A.T. mode selected must not be in any of the "off-road" modes (Mud and Ruts, Sand, Rock Crawl), it is, auto start stop will be disabled.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

fog
It was 3 dealer trips for me, the standard answer was everything is working as it should. The last time I went to the dealer I said I wasn't leaving until this thing is fixed. The dealer replaced the original lead acid FoMoCo battery with a Motorcraft AGM, it's now been 6 months without any issues.
Sponsored