Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
How exactly is parking in reverse safer?
I think it is as I don’t have a front camera. Backing into a parking space with the back up camera does feel safer to me. I have trouble judging the last two feet over the tall hood.
Sponsored

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I bet turning ac to full blast would also prevent auto start/stop from engaging when coming to a stop in a parking lot. Just another suggestion/option.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I bet turning ac to full blast would also prevent auto start/stop from engaging when coming to a stop in a parking lot. Just another suggestion/option.
Actually the AC function shuts off with auto stop/start. You'll notice this on a really hot day when it starts blowing warm air at you.

The engine stop/start is different than shutting down the vehicle and starting the engine. This may have something to do with why it comes back on when you shift to park to turn off. I would hesitate doing the work around without more research as to why it does that.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Park in reverse. Auto start/stop wont activate when coming to a stop in reverse. It is also safer.
The BS won't let you park in Reverse. However you have probably taken advantage of shutting down in Reverse and observing the shift knob moving into Park automatically. I.e. instead of allowing the auto start-stop to restart the engine. Clever, but pay attention!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Turn off the engine while in drive. It will autoshift to park.
I think this is a much better idea than shifting to Reverse to do the same thing. But I still think intentionally shifting to Park first is best.

OP
OP
Meanderthal

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
There are more situations in which you'd want the engine running in Park -- so, auto start-stop is not active in Park. Your BS cannot guess that your intention is to park, exit, and leave the vehicle behind until next time. You can also find this information in your Manual.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=7450&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2087789&ProcUid=G2173494&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web
I guess it is in the manual, so I should continue to RTFM. I guess it is just a weird side effect of the system. Although I would argue that 99% of the time when it is shifted into to Park, the very next thing to happen is the ignition is turned off. If I wanted the engine to run while in Park, I would just start it again but that would happen very infrequently.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There are more situations in which you'd want the engine running in Park -- so, auto start-stop is not active in Park. You can also find this information in your Manual.
I didn't see anywhere that the manual states the vehicle will restart if you switch to "Park" after the auto stop-start system shuts the engine down. It states the system is "enabled" as long as all the criteria are met, one of which is the transmission set to "Drive." I get that this implies the auto start-stop system is disabled if you move the transmission selector to "Park," but it doesn't explicitely state that the engine should restart. Did I miss something?

OP
OP
Meanderthal

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't see anywhere that the manual states the vehicle will restart if you switch to "Park" after the auto stop-start system shuts the engine down. It states the system is "enabled" as long as all the criteria are met, one of which is the transmission set to "Drive." I get that this implies the auto start-stop system is disabled if you move the transmission selector to "Park," but it doesn't explicitely state that the engine should restart. Did I miss something?
No, I don't think you missed anything. Like I said, I think it is a side effect that it restarts when in Park because one of the requirements for it to work is that it has to be in Drive. Therefore when you shift out of Drive, the ASS system is disabled and since the ignition is still on the engine will start.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Therefore when you shift out of Drive, the ASS system is disabled and since the ignition is still on the engine will start.
I agree with you that this is implied, but it's not explicitly stated. It sounded like tRex said the answer to your question is in the Owner's Manual. I don't think it is. The manual specifically lists several conditions under which the vehicle will auto restart. Switching to park after the auto start-stop system has shut down the engine isn't one of them.

OP
OP
Meanderthal

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you that this is implied, but it's not explicitly stated. It sounded like tRex said the answer to your question is in the Owner's Manual. I don't think it is. The manual specifically lists several conditions under which the vehicle will auto restart. Switching to park after the auto start-stop system has shut down the engine isn't one of them.
No but the transmission must be in Drive for the ASS to work. Therefore with the ignition on, when you switch to Park, the default state is to be running so it restarts. The manual just list the conditions required for the ASS to be working, which could mean that the engine is off or on depending on the circumstances.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I paid more attention to the process today. Stop the vehicle after parking, move knob to park, hit start button, engine shuts off. Not sure why acts this way but seems normal to me. Seems counter intuitive to stop then restart again when in park.

OP
OP
Meanderthal

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I paid more attention to the process today. Stop the vehicle after parking, move knob to park, hit start button, engine shuts off. Not sure why acts this way but seems normal to me. Seems counter intuitive to stop then restart again when in park.
I agree that it is not the way I think it should work, but given the conditions laid out in the manual for ASS to work, the “restart” when shifting from Drive to Park makes sense. The vehicle must be in Drive for it work. So when the ignition is on and you come to a stop, ASS takes over and turns the engine off. When you shift from Drive to Park, the ignition is still on but the condition for being in Drive is no longer met, so ASS is disabled and the engine starts back up because the ignition is still on.

I don’t really know why you have to be in Drive for ASS to work but at least the feature is following all the rules set out in the manual. I think that getting out of the habit of shifting to Park and just switching off the ignition is probably the best answer.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
There are more situations in which you'd want the engine running in Park -- so, auto start-stop is not active in Park. Your BS cannot guess that your intention is to park, exit, and leave the vehicle behind until next time. You can also find this information in your Manual.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=7450&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2087789&ProcUid=G2173494&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web
This one of the love hate features of the BS. It's not a smooth start for one, on hot AC days or heating days for that matter it's inconvenient. On the other hand it really does save fuel in city driving. The disable switch just takes a second to push, after a week or two of pushing it right after you start it it will become a habit. Is it worth 100 dollars for a plug and play disabling module, your call. A hundred dollars buys a lot of gas.
Sponsored