Auto shut off and restart

BroncoWill

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am sure that there are a lot of BS owners that have experienced this issue and can add to this. I noticed that my economy mode auto shut off and restart would not actual begin after i had driven some miles. My suspicion is that this was because there was not enough reserve in the battery until it had charged from driving . I installed a charging plug for my battery tender and charged the battery over night. Well low and behold the auto shutoff and restart resumed the first time I came to a stop. Clearly my local driving is not charging my batt enough. I rarely drive on the highway so that might be the reason I don’t get enough charge. Is this what others have experienced?
Sponsored

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I am sure that there are a lot of BS owners that have experienced this issue and can add to this. I noticed that my economy mode auto shut off and restart would not actual begin after i had driven some miles. My suspicion is that this was because there was not enough reserve in the battery until it had charged from driving . I installed a charging plug for my battery tender and charged the battery over night. Well low and behold the auto shutoff and restart resumed the first time I came to a stop. Clearly my local driving is not charging my batt enough. I rarely drive on the highway so that might be the reason I don’t get enough charge. Is this what others have experienced?
It is also temperature dependent for those of us in northern colder climates.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I noticed that my economy mode auto shut off and restart would not actual begin after i had driven some miles. My suspicion is that this was because there was not enough reserve in the battery until it had charged from driving .
The engine has to be warmed up before auto start/stop functions. On page 152 of my Owner's Manual:

The system is enabled every time you start
your vehicle if the following conditions are
met:
  • You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button.
  • Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after the vehicle initially starts.
  • Your vehicle is stopped.
  • Your foot is on the brake pedal.
  • The transmission is in drive (D). The driver door is closed.
  • There is adequate brake vacuum.
  • The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
  • The front windshield defroster is off.
  • The steering wheel is not being turned.
  • The vehicle is not on a steep road slope.
  • The battery is within optimal operating conditions, such as battery state of charge and temperature in range.
  • The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
  • Your vehicle is not being driven at a high altitude.
  • The ambient temperature is moderate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoWill

BroncoWill

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thank you for the additional information. I never had a vehicle that feature and of course I did not read that manual, lol.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the additional information. I never had a vehicle that feature and of course I did not read that manual, lol.
Alas, as a retired technical writer who spent a significant portion of my life writing things that no one read, I'm not surprised!

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Alas, as a retired technical writer who spent a significant portion of my life writing things that no one read, I'm not surprised!
The first time I ran a section in R&D, I got called in and asked about a huge mistake in the owner's manual for a product I designed the electronics for and supervised all the rest. The manual showed my name as the author.

As I told them, I'd never seent the manual before and we hunted down the technical writer who wrote it. He said that since I was new he figured I didn't have time to consult with him so he wrote it on his own...incorrectly.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
These Bronco Sports eat electricity. I find that in the winter, making short drives, I have to charge my battery every couple of weeks. When the Auto Start/Stop quits, you know it is time.

Bluejaye

Heritage
First Name
Jaye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Limited
While you may or may not have worked for Ford, take heart in knowing I read every page of it. I can commiserate from too many years myself documenting software that no one would ever read.

OP
OP
BroncoWill

BroncoWill

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
These Bronco Sports eat electricity. I find that in the winter, making short drives, I have to charge my battery every couple of weeks. When the Auto Start/Stop quits, you know it is time.
Thanks, looks like I will be doing the frequent charging routine .

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Honestly, I’ve not had this problem, but I have a bit of a drive to town. Also, I turn the Auto Start/Stop off right after I start the engine. Then I engage the cruise. I do both before I back out of the driveway/parking spot.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I have this problem with both my '22 OBX Sport and my '19 Ranger Lariat Sport Crew cab.

The battery has been replaced 2x under warranty on the Ranger, so now I have installed a connector for a trickle charger in the grill and plug it in when I am not driving it.

The Sport battery was down to 25% when I hooked up the trickle charger over the weekend.

My trickle charger gives the battery level when I hook it up.

This is all due to the programming on these vehicles only allowing the alternator to charge the battery to 90%.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He said that since I was new he figured I didn't have time to consult with him so he wrote it on his own...
I never wrote a manual without consulting with the developer, and they always read the draft before publication.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I never wrote a manual without consulting with the developer, and they always read the draft before publication.
Well, it never happened again and I did 5 more products before I moved on to another company.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I have an F-250 with 2 batteries that I seldom drive, so I put a solar panel on the dash to keep the battery charged. If you park outdoors, that is a good option. As long as the panel is under 10 watts, you don't need a charge controller.
Sponsored