Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Team:

I'm not seeing anything on this, which likely means I'm hosed, but for no reason that I can identify my infotainment system just changed one day.

I know you're thinking updates and that may be, but I don't know that it did it and I now it's operating totally differently.

What it used to do was when I connected my phone (an Android) via the USB-C cable, was the screen would reconfigure in three segments. I was able to select apps I had downloaded like Spotify or Select News (yeah, I'm a wild man), etc.

About a week ago, that stopped working.

Additionally at about the same time, the phone's Ford Pass stopped working, not sure if the two are related.

Anyway, the phone is bluetoothed to the unit, I can make calls and if I'm playing music on the phone even if it isn't connected the music plays, but I can no longer hit "talk" and tell it to play things on Spotify or Call Alexa and if I have Google Maps running with a destination it used to use those maps and now it acts like that isn't even a thing....

I've tried resetting the infotainment system, trying to resynch the mobile apps, updated all the mobile apps, rebooted the phone numerous times, downloaded/installed a new Sync update...

Took it to the dealership and they said if I left it with them for 2-3 days they could run diagnostics on it... So I'll be doing that, but I have a road trip that I would like this working for between then and now so was hoping someone here knew what the hell to do...

I am Bluetoothed to the unit, it does allow me to call my contact list, and it will play music, it just doesn't do what it used to do...

Note, Android Auto and Apple Car Play used to be on the menu, but they are not now.

If anyone has thoughts/ideas, it would be appreciated.

RR
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
To use Android Auto your phone must be connected with a cable (unless you have connected a wireless unit). The number one cause of Android Auto issues used to be bad cables. AA is now supposed to pop up a warning if it senses a bad cable, but you may try a new cable just to be sure. Many aftermarket cables--especially cheap ones you get from Amazon--don't hold up over time. Try using the cable that came with your phone.

If that doesn't solve the issue then you may need to reset everything. Perform a master reset of SYNC, then do the following on your phone:
  1. "Forget" SYNC in your list of Bluetooth devices.
  2. Go to SETTINGS > APPS > ANDROID AUTO> STORAGE & CACHE.
  3. Touch "Clear cache" and "Clear storage."
After that, connect your phone to the USB port you've used previously to get Android Auto on SYNC and follow the screen directions to reconnect your phone to the system.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Team:

I'm not seeing anything on this, which likely means I'm hosed, but for no reason that I can identify my infotainment system just changed one day.

I know you're thinking updates and that may be, but I don't know that it did it and I now it's operating totally differently.

What it used to do was when I connected my phone (an Android) via the USB-C cable, was the screen would reconfigure in three segments. I was able to select apps I had downloaded like Spotify or Select News (yeah, I'm a wild man), etc.

About a week ago, that stopped working.

Additionally at about the same time, the phone's Ford Pass stopped working, not sure if the two are related.

Anyway, the phone is bluetoothed to the unit, I can make calls and if I'm playing music on the phone even if it isn't connected the music plays, but I can no longer hit "talk" and tell it to play things on Spotify or Call Alexa and if I have Google Maps running with a destination it used to use those maps and now it acts like that isn't even a thing....

I've tried resetting the infotainment system, trying to resynch the mobile apps, updated all the mobile apps, rebooted the phone numerous times, downloaded/installed a new Sync update...

Took it to the dealership and they said if I left it with them for 2-3 days they could run diagnostics on it... So I'll be doing that, but I have a road trip that I would like this working for between then and now so was hoping someone here knew what the hell to do...

I am Bluetoothed to the unit, it does allow me to call my contact list, and it will play music, it just doesn't do what it used to do...

Note, Android Auto and Apple Car Play used to be on the menu, but they are not now.

If anyone has thoughts/ideas, it would be appreciated.

RR
Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealer you are currently working with? I would like to take a look into your Android Auto concerns on my end.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
If that doesn't solve the issue then you may need to reset everything. Perform a master reset of SYNC, then do the following on your phone:
After that, connect your phone to the USB port you've used previously to get Android Auto on SYNC and follow the screen directions to reconnect your phone to the system.
This is the equivalent of calling IT and they tell you to "reboot your computer". You sir work in IT, am I correct?

OP
OP
RogueRodney

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To use Android Auto your phone must be connected with a cable (unless you have connected a wireless unit). The number one cause of Android Auto issues used to be bad cables. AA is now supposed to pop up a warning if it senses a bad cable, but you may try a new cable just to be sure. Many aftermarket cables--especially cheap ones you get from Amazon--don't hold up over time. Try using the cable that came with your phone.

Mark S.:

Thanks, I did try the Reset of Sync, but I didn't try the stuff on the phone, I'll do that today, appreciate the advice.

I also didn't try a new cable, so I'll give that a try in a few minutes.

It is a relatively small thing, but its kinda like a hang nail, you forget about it, then try to do something and it pisses you off all over again.

Appreciate the advice.

RR

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I second the new cable solution. I've had the same thing happen to me a few times on different vehicles (not yet on the BS) and have gone through quite a few cables.

I really thought when USB-C took over, we'd have far fewer issues with crappy cables, or cables that stopped working prematurely, but nothing has changed.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This is the equivalent of calling IT and they tell you to "reboot your computer". You sir work in IT, am I correct?
No, but I've owned SYNC-equipped vehicles for coming up on ten years, and performing one or both of these procedures has fixed every connectivity issue we've ever had.

OP
OP
RogueRodney

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Another quick shout out to Mark S.!

Thank you so much for your reply, clearing the Android Auto Cache and Data resolved the issue, everything is back to working as it should!

Really appreciate it man!

RR
Sponsored