Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims?

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
I keep looking for, and not finding, a comparison test or review or off-road challenge between the Badlands and other trim levels. I'd love to see how the 1.5 and 2.0 drivetrains compare over the same terrain. For instance, a Badlands v. Big Bend at the TFL Offroad X ranch trail. Has anyone seen such a comparison? If so, would you post a link? If there isn't such a thing, how do we get one?!

And! I may well be the only person interested in such a head-to-head comparison. Still, I am interested.

Pic for your enjoyment:
Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? Panda on a VT Brid
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TFL has taken the BS Big Bend through their test course, no problem at all:

Yup, thanks, I saw that. I’d like to see a Badlands and Big Bend in a head to head test drive/off road review.

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition
Let’s face it; given the BS platform the difference is not significant BUT there is a difference, especially if you consider .5 more liter/+ hp and additional off-road capabilities. Could either still roll over on a trail? Sure but I would be more confident in a Badlands or First Edition model.

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let’s face it; given the BS platform the difference is not significant BUT there is a difference, especially if you consider .5 more liter/+ hp and additional off-road capabilities. Could either still roll over on a trail? Sure but I would be more confident in a Badlands or First Edition model.
No doubt. But I’d love to see both power plants going through the same trials for comparison purposes. IMHO, it would be an interesting exercise to shed light on where the Badlands really excels, and where the 1.5s keep up.

NoOneHereYet

Badlands
First Name
NoOne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands

The reality is, there is no real comparison, the HP, the torque, the ground clearance, approach, departure, and break over angles, rear diff, more goat modes, front 180 degree camera for offroading, better suspension. Drive a Big bend then go drive an equally equipped Badlands. Once you drive the Badlands you genuinely understand they are not the same vehicle. The Big Bend is more of a bad weather / soft roader. Where as the Badlands is more of an entry level overlanding setup capable of actually being off road.

Even if you do the lift kit, and upgrades to the Big Bend it still falls far short in the off road arena compared to the Badlands. I've driven both off road, it's not even close in ability.

Some quick spec differences for reference:

Engine
2.0L Turbo Inline-4 Gas
1.5L Turbo Inline-3 Ga
Badlands Horsepower
250 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque
277 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
Big Bend Horsepower
181 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque
190 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
Ground clearance
Badlands 8.6 in, opt 8.8
Big Bend 7.8 in
Badlands twin-clutch torque-vectoring rear end, and off-road suspension
Badlands has Tow hooks
Badlands rubberized floor with drain plugs
Badlands has trail control
Badlands has paddle shifters

Bronco Sport Badlands angles
30.4-degree approach
33.1-degree departure
20.4-degree break-over
Front suspension 7.5 inches travel, rear suspension 8.1 inches of travel.
Normal, ECO, Sport, Slippery, Mud/Ruts, Sand, Rock Crawl

Bronco Sport Big Bend angles
21.7-degree approach
30.4-degree departure
18.2-degree break-over
Front suspension 7.4 inches travel, rear suspension 7.4 inches of travel.
Normal, ECO, Sport, Slippery, Sand

Badlands - 23.6 inches of water

Big Bend - 17.7 inches of water

Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? 1710235403529

sinbuster007

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 SUV's, 2 Mustangs
so i wont call this "off road" but i do own the Badlands and tested this "hill" out the other day....went down forwards using the camera....again it looks tame but i wanted to try it no issues at all. also i had no issues in my area with snow/ice/wet this winter going to work and back. i chose the badlands trim specifically for the 2.0L either that or nothing. i am not an "off roader" but i wanted to make sure that if i get in a jam i can get out of said jam....

Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? hill

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I keep looking for, and not finding, a comparison test or review or off-road challenge between the Badlands and other trim levels. I'd love to see how the 1.5 and 2.0 drivetrains compare over the same terrain. For instance, a Badlands v. Big Bend at the TFL Offroad X ranch trail. Has anyone seen such a comparison? If so, would you post a link? If there isn't such a thing, how do we get one?!

And! I may well be the only person interested in such a head-to-head comparison. Still, I am interested.

Pic for your enjoyment:
Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? Panda on a VT Brid
ON Fords website..................................

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition
The reality is, there is no real comparison, …
Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? 1710235403529
great info and should help OP. Every time I see that chart it validates my purchase of the First Edition model (not that she needs it but it does help).

Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? IMG_0120

Repool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion '08
so i wont call this "off road" but i do own the Badlands and tested this "hill" out the other day....went down forwards using the camera....again it looks tame but i wanted to try it no issues at all. also i had no issues in my area with snow/ice/wet this winter going to work and back. i chose the badlands trim specifically for the 2.0L either that or nothing. i am not an "off roader" but i wanted to make sure that if i get in a jam i can get out of said jam....

Ford Bronco Sport Are there any side-by-side comparisons between Bronco Sport trims? hill
I tried to go through a drift once and couldn't get through, stuck on road for hours and had to go to coffee shop (work) for 36 hours. Yeap my Badlands will get me there, but the next question is , will I be able to see in the squall that causes the drifts? Fog lights help when the snow is blowing on the road btw.
Sponsored