RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I'm guessing that the flexing you're seeing at high speeds or driving into a headwind is likely just due to the aluminum hood.

Those videos don't look dissimilar to what I've experienced while driving mine above 70mph and I have a FE with no hood add-ons. I seem to remember seeing the hood flex on my Edge ST above 70mph as well. It has never felt like the hood wasn't securely latched or anything though.

Maybe I'm naĂŻve to what the potential concern is, but it doesn't really bother me when it happens.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bpreston

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
We spoke of the aerodynamics and they agreed that it is in fact an increase in the ability to bypass not all but most objects,I think my friend it is the luck of the draw .Yes I think even after you spend that kind of cash it still doesn’t guarantee a pass on chips, bumps ,bangs,brush burns ,or will it ward of idiots.By the way my son has a couple BMW that he had ceramic coated they look really great and still look like new but will not stop a bullet for sure.
Yeah, I’ve been trying to connect with someone that was either referred to me or found with good reviews online that won’t charge me over $1k for the ceramic application. Still in the works, but I think it will be necessary.

OP
OP
Bpreston

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm guessing that the flexing you're seeing at high speeds or driving into a headwind is likely just due to the aluminum hood.

Those videos don't look dissimilar to what I've experienced while driving mine above 70mph and I have a FE with no hood add-ons. I seem to remember seeing the hood flex on my Edge ST above 70mph as well. It has never felt like the hood wasn't securely latched or anything though.

Maybe I'm naĂŻve to what the potential concern is, but it doesn't really bother me when it happens.
I suppose, for me, it was shaking a bit more today while heading southbound and the weather being rainy, that it feels like a lack of quality I suppose. Maybe it’s just me and the way it goes. I can accept it as long as I am a part of the majority really. If it’s just my car out of the many I worry.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
My concern would be metal and paint fatigue. In the long run will the paint crack or will the hood warp out of shape from flexing over and over for years?

My Wrangler had the hood move around at 80+, but it was only held down by what is essentially a big rubber bands.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose, for me, it was shaking a bit more today while heading southbound and the weather being rainy, that it feels like a lack of quality I suppose. Maybe it’s just me and the way it goes. I can accept it as long as I am a part of the majority really. If it’s just my car out of the many I worry.
My concern would be metal and paint fatigue. In the long run will the paint crack or will the hood warp out of shape from flexing over and over for years?
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'd like to get an answer from someone at Ford about this since they seem to be using aluminum in a lot of their vehicle hoods, but I'm not really sure where to ask. You would think they had to have tested something like that.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not just Ford or the Bronco Sport...

Copy/paste this into Google: "aluminum hood flexing high speed"

Now, look at how many vehicles come up with forum posts about this. I see Dodge Ram, Honda Pilot, Honda Accord and Toyota of some sort just in the first 5 results.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I noticed the slightest bit of hood movement up to about 85 mph, where I was surprised to be at that moment. I'll never see these speeds in normal driving, this isn't concerning to me. There is a documented repair adjustment if the movement is excessive -- involves a specified hood realignment at the dealer. I suppose anybody could mount hood pins if very concerned about this.

OP
OP
Bpreston

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Brandon please see trex posts,he talks about hood adjustment.
Good to know, i am supposed to take my car in next week for other service I will ask them to check.

thanks! @tRex

Reactions: Jrl

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just called my local dealer to order a textured one and they are on backorder w/no set date for availability. He said that demand is outstripping supply. I get my floor liners on Monday though!

OP
OP
Bpreston

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I have been watching this thread and I do not see any real issues. My BB's hood flexes a bit at 60-65. It comes down to the bracing under the hood, if there is any in the middle. I would expect an X brace or something under there and I am assuming it could be a cost thing and considered acceptable. Small savings brings up their margins. My '08 Mustang GT came with an aluminum hood but it also came with a scoop so that could help with bracing but I believe it flexed in other areas. It has been awhile, I have since replaced it with a fiberglass functioning hood a long time ago. After consuming all of these posts I'll buy the textured one without concern. I actually just called my local dealer and ordered it, said it will be here within two weeks. I would refrain from doing anything with the front or fake side vents, especially the front since it is computer controlled.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl