Anyone experiencing extra delay for delivery prep at dealership?

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Mine was low on washer fluid with low washer fluid light on in dash. So I topped it off light went off so no biggie....
I can understand being low on something like washer fluid, but it's far-fetched to claim that critical fluids such as oil, brake and coolant are left intentionally low, especially considering the vehicle is operated at various points during the transport and delivery process.
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
They do not ship without fluids. What is bare minimum as opposed to normal operating level?
I sold cars for a long time every car comes without fluid as a safety precaution while in transport. Bare minimum is whatever they put in to get it 2-7 miles of lot and port driving.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I sold cars for a long time every car comes without fluid as a safety precaution while in transport. Bare minimum is whatever they put in to get it 2-7 miles of lot and port driving.
Again, what is the bare minimum for engine operation, brake operation, transmission operation, etc. that is not represented by the fill levels on each?

And what exactly is this safety precaution you keep referring to? What is so unsafe about shipping a vehicle with the proper amounts of fluids?

Sorry but this just seems off-base.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Again, what is the bare minimum for engine operation, brake operation, transmission operation, etc. that is not represented by the fill levels on each?

And what exactly is this safety precaution you keep referring to? What is so unsafe about shipping a vehicle with the proper amounts of fluids?

Sorry but this just seems off-base.
Well rather than me debate the shipping logistics with someone. I'll just let you know you can ask your service department next time you are there.

Bare minimum is full lines no reserve. These vehicles being shipped are not driven all over the place they are turned on moved and shut off. When they finally arrive they get put "in service"

Again check with the service department cause there's no reason for you to seem so stressed over someone telling you what they know when you have zero clue.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Bare minimum is full lines no reserve. These vehicles being shipped are not driven all over the place they are turned on moved and shut off. When they finally arrive they get put "in service"
'Full lines' represent the specified amount of fluids that the components require as recommended by the manufacturer. That in no way represents 'without fluids', as you say, and when filled to full lines, do not require 'topping off' or 'reserve'. Doing so would mean they would be over-filled, which is also not recommended.

After initial operation, sometimes there needs to be some 'topping off' due to factors such as filters absorbing oil or air pockets in a cooling system. Technicians will (or should) check this as part of PDI to ensure everything is filled properly prior to the customer taking possession. This should also catch any errors made at the factory, and help identify any problems that may have developed during initial operation and transport.

Your previous statements are misleading at best. A manufacturer certainly would not intentionally allow a vehicle to be operated for any period of time on anything other than the specified amount of fluids, especially when moved around by random shipping employees. Aside from the fuel tank, there is no practical safety benefit to shipping a vehicle with anything less.

Stressed? Hardly...I have decades of mechanical and engineering experience, so naturally I'm skeptical of salesmen telling me what they know.

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Edge ST Line, 22 BS Badlands

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If the Manuel says fill with five quarts of ‘X’ motor oil that’s what they ship with.
Coolant will be filled somewhere at or above the minimum safe to operate level.
Transmission will be filled per spec, no dip stick.
Windshield washer fluid, what would you expect on that one,
It sitting in the desert heat and dry air. Washer fluid probably dries right up as that tank is not sealed like the cooling system.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
From my time working in new car dealerships (24 years) there is a separate department for repairs, new car prep, & clean up. If it is a small dealership & the person that does the new car prep is out then they would have to work it into the repair side of the shop around their work which could take some time. The new car prep has a list of things that need to be checked, some items come in the vehicle & need to be installed, then a short road test to make sure there are no squeaks or rattles & everything is working correctly like the cruise control. The vehicles come in with the trans, engine, brake system, cooling system, & drive axles filled with fluid. The washer fluid they usually just put in enough to be able to test that it works, & a few gallons of fuel.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Transmission will be filled per spec, no dip stick.
Windshield washer fluid, what would you expect on that one, it sitting in the desert heat and dry air. Washer fluid probably dries right up as that tank is not sealed like the cooling system.
Mexican summer boiled it away so ended up a little low.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
In any event, I'd be shocked if the average technician spent more than 10-15 minutes checking fluids. But there's a lot of other stuff on the list (like putting too much air in the tires, which takes time), so if they are short staffed there could be a delay. I was fortunate enough that my dealer was able to complete mine within 48 hours of unloading off the truck.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
In any event, I'd be shocked if the average technician spent more than 10-15 minutes checking fluids. But there's a lot of other stuff on the list (like putting too much air in the tires, which takes time), so if they are short staffed there could be a delay. I was fortunate enough that my dealer was able to complete mine within 48 hours of unloading off the truck.
Getting that white protective covers off side piano trim not easy a lot of dealers struggle with that. And sometimes trim gets scratched trying to get goo off trim...

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Getting that white protective covers off side piano trim not easy a lot of dealers struggle with that. And sometimes trim gets scratched trying to get goo off trim...
I'm really worried about this. I'm thinking I may ask them not to try and remove mine and I'll deal with it myself.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I'm really worried about this. I'm thinking I may ask them not to try and remove mine and I'll deal with it myself.
Most dealers have done a bunch of sports now and hopefully learned.

Funkygus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thinking I will make sure they do not wash, clean, or try and remove glue. I can then take it to detailer for cleaning and coating. Did this for my Jeep and came out great.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
FWIW my dealer, “KING FORD of Murphy NC”,,,, ok I got a plug in he he~~
Anyway the day that I took delivery they gave me a full tank of gas !
Sponsored