Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time?

ck51

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands | Area 51
Has anyone done this? I'm a wildlife photographer and when out looking for short-eared owls, I sometimes need to park near grass that's taller than me but shorter than my BS. I usually find a break in the grass so I can get a good view far out into the field. But that can be limiting, especially if the birds aren't flying near those openings.

It'd be great if I could just sit on top of my BS and get a view over the tallest grass. Especially for scouting in general, too.

The ones by Yakima and Yucca seem like they might work, but I'd be curious how sturdy those crossbars are.
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
They make tents that mount on the roof racks, so I'd think a decent platform on them for you to sit on would be fine as well.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
As @Jmuns noted, the static (not in motion) weight limit for the roof is 600 lbs. Whatever cross bars you purchase should list a maximum weight in the specs. When determining how much weight you intend to place on the cross bars be sure to include you, whatever you are wearing, all the gear you'll have up there AND whatever you use for a platform. A 4X8 sheet of 3/4" plywood weighs roughly 70 lbs.

OP
OP

ck51

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands | Area 51
As @Jmuns noted, the static (not in motion) weight limit for the roof is 600 lbs. Whatever cross bars you purchase should list a maximum weight in the specs. When determining how much weight you intend to place on the cross bars be sure to include you, whatever you are wearing, all the gear you'll have up there AND whatever you use for a platform. A 4X8 sheet of 3/4" plywood weighs roughly 70 lbs.
Good idea with the plywood. I was thinking to just take something small up there each time as needed. A sturdy yoga mat, maybe. Anything that might be more comfortable than sitting on the rails.

Got the idea from seeing the guy in this YouTube video crouch on his roof rack while securing a bunch of gear. I can't tell what type of roof rack he has, though. Maybe a Yucca with the lettering removed?

Adanac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Good idea with the plywood. I was thinking to just take something small up there each time as needed. A sturdy yoga mat, maybe. Anything that might be more comfortable than sitting on the rails.

Got the idea from seeing the guy in this YouTube video crouch on his roof rack while securing a bunch of gear. I can't tell what type of roof rack he has, though. Maybe a Yucca with the lettering removed?
Mine

Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 20230730_103105

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
https://c6outdoor.com/collections/rev-roof-top-tents/products/rev-roof-top-tent

https://c6outdoor.com/collections/rev-tent-accessories/products/rev-platform-by-c6-outdoor

c6 sells their rooftop Tent just the platform only. You will still need a crossbar which many brands are available… Thule… Yakima…others. Might as well get the tent as well to kick back on top. I was thinking just setup a beach pop up and some foam pads.

it is sold out right now. But I’m sure you can check in with them

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
https://c6outdoor.com/collections/rev-tent-accessories/products/rev-platform-x
C6 has their new roof platform now.
Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 1700575848708

this is interesting...over an year ago I asked them I'm thinking using their platform as a roof basket to carry stuff (when not used to carry the tent). they told me they are working on something.

this must be what they were refering to. it's too bad the bars doesn't have the slots that we can use some t-bolts to strap things down. however, just have the bars can provide some utilities. I guess this can be left on the roof for that purpose.....and if you want to sit on it for any reason. maybe a stiff yoga or sleep mat can be use for that.

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The JCR roof rack says it has 72" x 42" between sides and fairings. Rails can be repositioned but you would still probably need something to lay across the rails to be comfortable
Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 1000004418
Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 1000004423
Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 1000004422

SandDawg

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
I got the Yakima LocknLoad. Haven't finished yet.

Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? 1BB56F99-129A-4E6D-9D2C-E85154DA54FB

Ford Bronco Sport Any roof racks you can sit on for an extended period of time? IMG_2259
Sponsored