First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the optional full size spare tire. After owning the new Bronco for only a week, my wife found a tire air removal device on the drive home from work last night. It was so nice to pull out a full size matching spare rather than the little donut options we've had in the past. Now we can run the Baby Bronco normally until we can get the tire fixed.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211125_072002
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
My wife is good at finding those air removal devices as well.:)
Technology sure has changed. With the old car, she would drive for miles as the tire deflated, destroying the tire and requiring a full replacement because the old system didn't notify of the falling pressure very well. This system notified her immediately and even alerted my phone on the app. When she called me I already knew there was an issue with the tire. Thankfully it looks like the tire will be able to be fixed.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yeah I cannot believe all the cars out there now with only inflation kits and no spares. It is like those car companies have never driven through construction areas which have air removal device traps everywhere!!!!??

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
My ex wife came home with a screen door handle stuck in the sidewall of her car once. Truly an air removal device!

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Well wouldn't you know it? I took the tire into the local shop today to get it plugged and back on the road, but when the were breaking the bead, a part of the sidewall split open. They could not see any damage at all on the outside, but the tear is pretty huge.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211126_154548

I'm heading down to the dealer tomorrow to see if they will cover this as a defect. This poor thing only lasted 824 miles, and now it's heading to the tire graveyard.

Has anyone heard of this happening with these or any other tires?

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Well wouldn't you know it? I took the tire into the local shop today to get it plugged and back on the road, but when the were breaking the bead, a part of the sidewall split open. They could not see any damage at all on the outside, but the tear is pretty huge.

I'm heading down to the dealer tomorrow to see if they will cover this as a defect. This poor thing only lasted 824 miles, and now it's heading to the tire graveyard.

Pirelli I have heard has had cracking sidewall issues in the past at different milage. Was your a lot rot badlands? Wondering if that did not help With a tire already known to have had issues in the past.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD

Air removal devices don’t care about a tires age.
Road hazard warranty should cover the tire. That was obviously not a. Manufacturing defect.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Our BS/BB has a space saver spare tire & we want to replace it with a full size spare. I was curious if the cargo cover that covers the spare tire is different for the full size spare tire?. I did a google search & it shows a cargo area protector for a full size spare & was wondering if it is raised to cover the full size spare?. Just looking to see if the one in the attached link is correct before I order one.
Genuine Ford Cargo Area Protector For Full Size Spare - MP1Z-7811600-BA | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
WOW ! She definitely hit something, not her fault though.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Air removal devices don’t care about a tires age.
Road hazard warranty should cover the tire. That was obviously not a. Manufacturing defect.
Not a defect, then how did this happen? You can clearly see the entire sidewall in the first picture, with no visible damage. This didn't appear until they tried to remove the tire from the rim.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Pirelli I have heard has had cracking sidewall issues in the past at different milage. Was your a lot rot badlands? Wondering if that did not help With a tire already known to have had issues in the past.
Not sure how long it was on the lot, but when I looked it up the day before on the Ford site, it said "new arrival".

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Our BS/BB has a space saver spare tire & we want to replace it with a full size spare. I was curious if the cargo cover that covers the spare tire is different for the full size spare tire?. I did a google search & it shows a cargo area protector for a full size spare & was wondering if it is raised to cover the full size spare?. Just looking to see if the one in the attached link is correct before I order one.
Genuine Ford Cargo Area Protector For Full Size Spare - MP1Z-7811600-BA | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)
If it helps, I could take some pictures of the back of the cover to see if it differs from yours.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Unless your wife hit a curb or other large obstruction, I'm very, very skeptical this was caused by road damage. It almost looks as though the shop used a bead breaker in the wrong place, or before deflating the tire. The tire should be completely deflated, and the bead breaker placed as near the tire bead as possible, not out on the sidewall.

Did you happen to inspect the tread for penetration damage before you took it to the shop?

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Unless your wife hit a curb or other large obstruction, I'm very, very skeptical this was caused by road damage. It almost looks as though the shop used a bead breaker in the wrong place, or before deflating the tire. The tire should be completely deflated, and the bead breaker placed as near the tire bead as possible, not out on the sidewall.

Did you happen to inspect the tread for penetration damage before you took it to the shop?
Yes, they found a small puncture in the tread which caused the leak. The shop is the largest tire place in town, I've been a customer there for the 30+ years. I feel confident that they have the knowledge needed to remove a tire, and if they would have cause the damage I feel very confident they would have accepted responsibility and covered the price of a new tire.
Sponsored