Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I feel confident that they have the knowledge needed to remove a tire, and if they would have cause the damage I feel very confident they would have accepted responsibility and covered the price of a new tire.
I get it; no disrespect to your shop intended. That said, everyone makes mistakes. There's no visible damage to the wheel or tire sidewall in the first picture to explain the damage seen in the second. You could damage the inside sidewall by driving with low tire pressure (seems unlikely with the monitor system) or by driving on a deflated tire, but you didn't mention either of those. If it wasn't damaged by your wife or by the shop then it has to be a manufacturing defect. Only one mention of Pirelli sidewall defects pops up on a Google search, and it's a reference to possible sidewall cracking at end of tire life for tires used as OEM on certain Maserati cars. Please let us know what (if anything) Pirelli or Ford does about this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
i change my comment, I didn’t look at the first picture.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Good luck , road hazard warranty might be one way to get some reimbursement .Did the tire go flat while driving ?
if it did. ,I wouldn't say that , just tell them it was flat when you went out to the BS in the morning & show photo's of the intact tire , then what the Tire repair shop found & you believe thats why it went flat , but I'll bet they will still say it was a road hazard that caused it to go flat .

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
Well, they didn't warranty the tire, I had to pay full price. The dealer wouldn't even look into it, just got a quick NO and asked if I wanted to buy a new one.

She was driving home when the air pressure warning hit. She pulled over immediately and the tire still had enough air for her to think it was an error as it looked fine to her. By the time I got there it was totally flat.

AAA swapped out the tire and I took the tire into the shop for a plug. The shop said the sidewall split when they broke the bead. So either it was some kind of defect, or the shop damaged it and didn't take responsibility.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
If it helps, I could take some pictures of the back of the cover to see if it differs from yours.
William, that would be great if you could take a pic of the back of the spare tire cover for me.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My Outer Banks has a full size spare.

As I mentioned in another post, the rental GMC Terrain I had had no spare of any size and no other means of fixing the other 4 tires.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Well, they didn't warranty the tire, I had to pay full price. The dealer wouldn't even look into it, just got a quick NO and asked if I wanted to buy a new one.

She was driving home when the air pressure warning hit. She pulled over immediately and the tire still had enough air for her to think it was an error as it looked fine to her. By the time I got there it was totally flat.

AAA swapped out the tire and I took the tire into the shop for a plug. The shop said the sidewall split when they broke the bead. So either it was some kind of defect, or the shop damaged it and didn't take responsibility.
I would contact the Tire manufacturer!!! Not sure about Ford but on many cars it's the tire maker that's responsible for problems like this. They may want pics or for you to take the tire to a local place that normally sells that brand but I think you will get a free replacement.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
William, that would be great if you could take a pic of the back of the spare tire cover for me.
Not the best pics as I took them at night, but the rear mat is flat so the body of the vehicle is what holds the entire width of the tire. I would think that this wouldn't change for each model.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211127_174843

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211127_174833

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
I would contact the Tire manufacturer!!! Not sure about Ford but on many cars it's the tire maker that's responsible for problems like this. They may want pics or for you to take the tire to a local place that normally sells that brand but I think you will get a free replacement.
I just decided to simply accept the misfortune and eat the cost. I blew all of my Ford bucks on the repair so it only cost me $17 to get things back to normal.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the best pics as I took them at night, but the rear mat is flat so the body of the vehicle is what holds the entire width of the tire. I would think that this wouldn't change for each model.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211127_174843

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211127_174833
Thanks for the pics, it looks exactly like ours with the small spare. What is the part number on the underside of the spare tire cover? I see your location says Oakhurst, as in NJ?.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pics, it looks exactly like ours with the small spare. What is the part number on the underside of the spare tire cover? I see your location says Oakhurst, as in NJ?.
Oakhurst CA, close to Yosemite National Park. :)

Here's some pics of the back of the tire cover. Again, not the best pics, I had to take them at night.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211128_195853

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 20211128_195902

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks William.

Mister E

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands (on order)
Not sure how long it was on the lot, but when I looked it up the day before on the Ford site, it said "new arrival".
To find out when your car was built...look at the bottom part of your window sticker.
If you see a June date (see highlighted sample below), then your car was one of the many BS BLs that was built but missing chips and sat outside at the factory for 3+ months.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 1638218178241

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our BS/BB has a build date of 6/09/21 & only got to the dealer in NC 3 weeks ago when we purchased it.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
To find out when your car was built...look at the bottom part of your window sticker.
If you see a June date (see highlighted sample below), then your car was one of the many BS BLs that was built but missing chips and sat outside at the factory for 3+ months.

Ford Bronco Sport All Hail the Full Size Spare Tire! 1638218178241
Ah, I searched through that darn sticker and for some reason didn't see that. Ours says Special Order 06 10 21. Does that mean that someone had ordered this vehicle but for whatever reason did not pick it up?
Sponsored