Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
agreed. 2 adults, 150lb dog, rtt and all our camping gear going up mountain roads, coulda been a nice lil extra push.
A while back I had two fat guys and some heavy junk in the trunk.
And me but Iā€™m skinny.
We wuz doin some ass haulin on the interstate and some light hill climbs In my Appalachianā€™s,
In my 3 banger,
It did fine and when I needed/wanted a lil extra push I had it by pushing my right foot down just a little bit more,
Never had it wound too tight,
Never felt like the mice in the treadmill were over working it.
In Sport mode was as tad better,
I bet my 3 banger was suckin just as much fuel as the 4 banger while I was gassin it.

ohiooutdoors

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How long before there is internal engine damage?
How long depends once again on quality of tuning, fuel and how hard you beat on it.

If you have a quality tune they compensate for all of the above. Power doesn't kill engines heat does. Theoretically if you had an e85 tune to get more power it could actually lower combustion temps, burn cleaner and also burn more efficiently. The only downside is e85 requires more fuel. It also depends on how lean the tuner decides to run it.

A mild can tune from a reputable tuner is unlikely to cause damage or significantly reduce the life expectancy of an engine.

I would wait to get a tune just because of how nit-picky dealers are when cars are modded. We had a guy with a Golf R and an APR stage 3 kit (bigger turbo and close to 400hp) blow his engine up. He swore it wasnt due to the tune and turbo and VW tried to void the warranty. He went through a month process with VW that required our dealership to send the engine out to a third party company as well as the oil out to figure out the source of the failure. Turns out he was right and it was a defective oil pump. Engine was covered but he was without his car for over 6 months.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
ā€œA mild can tune from a reputable tuner is unlikely to cause damage or significantly reduce the life expectancy of an engine.ā€

I would think a so called ā€˜Mild tuneā€™ would only let you actually feel a difference if you were really pushing the engine, rpmā€™s above what ? 5,000 rpm..
I would not treat my engine that way for any reason.
If I needed more power Iā€™d have selected a larger engine.
When I trade my BS in it will be box stock. That will draw the highest resell value.
Personally I would never want a modified engine, even a mild tune because that tells me without a doubt that engine was pushed.
No thanks.

ohiooutdoors

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
ā€œA mild can tune from a reputable tuner is unlikely to cause damage or significantly reduce the life expectancy of an engine.ā€

I would think a so called ā€˜Mild tuneā€™ would only let you actually feel a difference if you were really pushing the engine, rpmā€™s above what ? 5,000 rpm..
I would not treat my engine that way for any reason.
If I needed more power Iā€™d have selected a larger engine.
When I trade my BS in it will be box stock. That will draw the highest resell value.
Personally I would never want a modified engine, even a mild tune because that tells me without a doubt that engine was pushed.
No thanks.
Mild tune would not allow the engine to rev out more turbo engines dont necessarily work like that if anything the smaller turbo chokes out at higher RPMS.

The turbo i find spools quite efficiently but mild tune would be adding 1-2 psi adding/pulling timing, adding fueling etc.

Where tuning tends to get dangerous is when tuners run a tune thats incredibly lean. I honestly doubt our small turbos have anywhere near the amount of steam in them to get the power needed to be dangerous.

That is actually one of the nice things about our car's engine. The turbo will run out of steam before our fuel system will due to having both direct and port injection.

Too much air not enough fuel equals more detonation causing engine failure. We have the opposite not enough air and all of the fuel.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
How long depends once again on quality of tuning, fuel and how hard you beat on it.
While it's true that some are more dangerous than others, any software mod that's meant to allow the engine to produce more power adds to the risk of a catastrophic engine failure. These work by reducing safeguards built in to the OEM software meant to prevent engine operation under conditions where damage or a catastrophic failure might occur. If you reduce or eliminate them you are purposely allowing the engine to operate under conditions Ford deemed unsafe.

Power doesn't kill engines heat does.
The more power your engine produces the more heat it generates; this is a physical reality.

Theoretically if you had an e85 tune to get more power it could actually lower combustion temps...
Combustion temps are not the problem, cylinder pressure is the problem. If you are putting more air/fuel in the cylinder you are generating more pressure--that's the ONLY way to get more power. More cylinder pressure means more heat--you cannot get around this.

...also burn more efficiently.
How do you square this claim with this one?

The only downside is e85 requires more fuel.
A mild can tune from a reputable tuner is unlikely to cause damage or significantly reduce the life expectancy of an engine.
Aside from Ford, none of the vendors selling modified software have any data on how their products affect reliability and longevity.

Turns out he was right and it was a defective oil pump. Engine was covered but he was without his car for over 6 months.
This is the biggest argument against installing modified software on a car still under warranty. The Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act protects consumers from frivolous warranty claim denials by forcing manufacturers with penalties for denying claims for no reason. But if there's something obvious like modified software involved you've given a manufacturer all the ammunition they need to reasonably deny a claim, and it's going to be up to the owner to prove their modification(s) are not the cause of the damage that prompted a claim.

Last edited:

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Lots of good reading thanks guys!!For the OP how many miles have you put on it with the tune and have you had any problems with it?

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Performance gains are (supposedly) increase efficiency, Id like to know the effects these tunes have on mpg,
Sponsored