Marcnmarilynj

Badlands
First Name
Marilyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I've had my Bronco Sport almost a month and love it, however we had a light rain for the first time in 3-4 months and I found the rear end would begin to slide
out of my lane if I attempted to drive over 45-50 mph (even using lane assist). I was not stomping on the gas through curves, I'm talking normal cautious driving
going straight in light rain.

I tired the AWD mode and several others hoping it would help but with no luck. I'm wondering if there is a specific G.O.A.T mode the car has to be in when driving on on wet (Not standing water) roads?
This seems very disappointing for AWD vehicle...has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

roboto65

Big Bend
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
How long had it been raining with no rain for that long there is a lot of oil on the road and they will be very slick till they get washed down for a bit. Mine has been rock steady in the rain. Hydroplaning is no joke so regardless be careful which I am sure you were.

OP
OP

Marcnmarilynj

Badlands
First Name
Marilyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
How long had it been raining with no rain for that long there is a lot of oil on the road and they will be very slick till they get washed down for a bit. Mine has been rock steady in the rain. Hydroplaning is no joke so regardless be careful which I am sure you were.
Thank you! Yes no rain here in 3 months maybe more. Good point!

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm sure someone will eventually chime in, but I think there's a formula to calculate hydroplane speed. Something like 10.2 x root(Tire Pressure). It's a lot easier to theoretically hydroplane then I used to think it was.

Edit: It's 10.2 x Sq Rt of Tire Pressure

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
No problem here at 70-75 MPH but only 1700 miles on the tires.

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I'm sure someone will eventually chime in, but I think there's a formula to calculate hydroplane speed. Something like 10.2 x root(Tire Pressure). It's a lot easier to theoretically hydroplane then I used to think it was.

So about 60 MPH...

Or 45 MPH with underinflated tires.

BroncoUSA

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I've had my Bronco Sport almost a month and love it, however we had a light rain for the first time in 3-4 months and I found the rear end would begin to slide
out of my lane if I attempted to drive over 45-50 mph (even using lane assist). I was not stomping on the gas through curves, I'm talking normal cautious driving
going straight in light rain.

I tired the AWD mode and several others hoping it would help but with no luck. I'm wondering if there is a specific G.O.A.T mode the car has to be in when driving on on wet (Not standing water) roads?
This seems very disappointing for AWD vehicle...has anyone else experienced this?
So about 60 MPH...

Or 45 MPH with underinflated tires.
I’ll bet yours came with Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires.
I’ve read other comments on hydroplaning with these tires, in a tire post I made last week.
My 23 Badlands came with these Pirelli’s and I’m not keeping them on through the winter. Looking at the tread design, I don’t expect to get many miles out of them either.
It seems Ford could have made a better choice of tires.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had experienced hydroplanning with my Pirellis at any speed above 45mph, not the best tires for wet conditions. Looking forward for swapping them. Thinking on Geolager g105 or Cooper. Are Sumitomo any good?

TRWXXA

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Edition

I was taught 10.35 times the square root of the tire pressure, but we're talking about fractions of a mph either way.
Simplistically, this is the speed where the standing water can't get out of the way fast enough, so the tires start to ride up on top of it. Lower tire pressure means the weight of the vehicle makes a larger contact patch, and more water would have to get out of the way to prevent hydroplaning.

OP
OP

Marcnmarilynj

Badlands
First Name
Marilyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I was taught 10.35 times the square root of the tire pressure, but we're talking about fractions of a mph either way.
Simplistically, this is the speed where the standing water can't get out of the way fast enough, so the tires start to ride up on top of it. Lower tire pressure means the weight of the vehicle makes a larger contact patch, and more water would have to get out of the way to prevent hydroplaning.
I should have used “ fish tailing” maybe not hydroplaning. I did look at my Toyo tires today and can feel the inside of the driver’s side tires are wearing more than the outside edge but the passenger side tires are wearing evenly. I’m wondering about the cambor - I had an issue with that on a Lexus once,,,,

OP
OP

Marcnmarilynj

Badlands
First Name
Marilyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I’ll bet yours came with Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires.
I’ve read other comments on hydroplaning with these tires, in a tire post I made last week.
My 23 Badlands came with these Pirelli’s and I’m not keeping them on through the winter. Looking at the tread design, I don’t expect to get many miles out of them either.
It seems Ford could have made a better choice of tires.
Mine had new Toyo tires, I purchased the vehicle with 7,000 miles on it, I’ve put less than 1,000 in a month.
Noticed today the inside of the drivers side tires are wearing ( smoother edge) than the outside of the tires but the passenger side tires seem to be wearing evenly. I’m wondering if the cambor (?) is out? Would that cause the “fish tail” effect on wet roads - not puddles just wet interstate driving.

Bubby21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS
I have the Badlands edition and Falken tires. My car has never slid, no fishtailing or hydroplaning in the rain. Recently, the rain was coming down in sheets and I didn't even want to drive but had an appointment to get to that I couldn't cancel. I got on the highway and was able to drive at a normal speed. I was impressed! Bring on the snow!
Sponsored