2022 BS Badlands Transmission Concern? Maybe.

airems

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hello, I have a 2022 BS Badlands with a little over 10,000 miles. Just recently, I noticed that the transmission is shifting harder than I remember. It feels like the shift points are stuck in a different GOAT mode, but it is in the default (normal model) mode. I also wonder if this is normal and I just noticed it. I have been using the "slippery" mode recently. Anyone else experience this? TIA Was driving on wet and snowy roads when "slippery" mode was engaged,
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hello, I have a 2022 BS Badlands with a little over 10,000 miles. Just recently, I noticed that the transmission is shifting harder than I remember…
Have not seen much about transmission issues with the Badlands but the 1.5L engine models do seem to report a fair number of transmission issues.

google does show this thread for Badlands:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Has anyone made sure the transmission fluid is filled to the correct level?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It feels like the shift points are stuck in a different GOAT mode, but it is in the default (normal model) mode.
The PCM (powertrain control module) in the Bronco Sport is a "learning" device, i.e. it will adjust itself to your driving patterns. You can force a "reset" of the PCM by disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes or so. The PCM will revert back to the base control maps and restart the learning process. The manual warns you may notice odd driving characteristics during the early portion (the first six miles) of the learning process, but after that it should start adjusting to your driving patterns.

I have been using the "slippery" mode recently. Anyone else experience this? TIA
There's a warning in the manual regarding SLIPPERY mode that it shouldn't be used on dry pavement. It states using SLIPPERY mode on dry pavement will cause increased noise and wear on driveline components and tires. As long as you've only used SLIPPERY mode on snowy or icy roads it shouldn't be a factor.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Have not seen much about transmission issues with the Badlands but the 1.5L engine models do seem to report a fair number of transmission issues.
Doesn't the 1.5 and 2.0 both use the same 8F35 transmission?

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
SLIPPERY

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 BS Badlands Transmission Concern? Maybe. 1672678183566
For less than ideal road conditions such as snow or ice covered roads. You can use this mode for crossing terrain where loose, wet or slippery materials covers a firm surface. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces.
The rear differential lock feature is available in slippery mode. When enabled it is engaged below 15 mph (24 km/h).
Note: Do not use this mode on dry, hard pavement. This could produce some vibration, driveline bind up, and potential excessive tire and vehicle wear depending on the four-wheel drive mode selection.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I would be cautious using SLIPPERY on just water. Most roads are crested, porous, grooved. Plenty of traction with these A/T tires.

cut and paste in previous post from manual. It seems as though the manufacturer is suggesting slippery mode in poor conditions and forbids its use in dry pavement condition. Anywhere in-between is a gray area

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I would be cautious using SLIPPERY on just water. Most roads are crested, porous, grooved. Plenty of traction with these A/T tires.

cut and paste in previous post from manual. It seems as though the manufacture is suggesting slippery mode in poor conditions and forbids its use in dry pavement condition. Anywhere in-between is a gray area
I didn’t find it all that useful even on slippery surfaces. Personally, I’ll doubt I’ll ever use it again unless I happen to find myself out on the frozen lake catching fish.

jonsfiend

Badlands
First Name
Jonni
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shutterband.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

google does show this thread for Badlands:
I do have to say one thing, they use the same 8F35 Transmission! So its not exclusive to the 1.5L. The Badlands and the rest of the BS's aren't as different as you hoped.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I do have to say one thing, they use the same 8F35 Transmission! So its not exclusive to the 1.5L. The Badlands and the rest of the BS's aren't as different as you hoped.
Yep same transmission just have only seen a couple Badlands compared to the 1.5L engine models which do seem to report a fair number of transmission issues. Could be lots of reasons for that including Badlands/First Edition volume sold is less than the total volume of the 1.5L models and perhaps the 1.5L puts a bit more stress on the transmission since the weight of all the models is pretty similar (ok that last part is a real stretch).

jonsfiend

Badlands
First Name
Jonni
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shutterband.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yep same transmission just have only seen a couple Badlands compared to the 1.5L engine models which do seem to report a fair number of transmission issues. Could be lots of reasons for that including Badlands/First Edition volume sold is less than the total volume of the 1.5L models and perhaps the 1.5L puts a bit more stress on the transmission since the weight of all the models is pretty similar (ok that last part is a real stretch).
I'd for sure say its less of the badlands due to the volume of badlands sold vs the rest of the 1.5s that's a good hunch! I will say my OBX can be a little jerky but it feels overall nice in how it drives. We picked fords to daily drive, if we wanted the perfect car we'd go with anyone else. Although I hear of Toyota having horrendous transmission issues on the 2019-2022 Rav4's and Hondas as well on the Civics. Really I think cars built after or during COVID really are different. Perhaps rushed? Oh well, I digress.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
First Edition will not get any different programming than the badlands. 8F35 is also used in Maverick, Escape, and Lincoln Corsair. The 1.5 shifts a bit later (higher speed) because of less engine power but its not by much.

JG4696

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford BS Badlands
I picked up my BS Badlands back in June/July and I've had a few problems. at around 2300 miles my check engine light pops on in traffic on the interestate, engine goes into limp mode and dealer replace a transmission speed sensor. As soon as the weather changed here in Indiana, my rear brakes start making noise when backing up. More recently this week, at 7700 miles, CEL pops on again for a bad O2 sensor.

I realize that all vehicles have their quicks and issues, but damn at 7700 miles I should not have had to had parts replaced at the dealer twice.

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ bronco sport
I absolutely hate the transmission in my 1.5

I’ve never drive a car as jerky as this one. I wish they’d come out with a software update to correct this. @fordmotorcompany
Sponsored