2.5 Million Vehicles Waiting for Recall Work

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I called Ford 2 months ago about the fuel injector issue. The guy said one month and the parts would be in and it was 2 months at this point. So I called again, got a woman and she said one more month.

We'll see.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
But, are the above answers on a "do not drive" or "park outside" condition?

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Was there ever a "do not drive" or "park outside" directive from Ford?
Believe there has been a "park outside" in last few years on certain Expeditions and pretty sure my 2001 Ranger got a "Park Outside" notice on a recall involving Master cylinder wiring harness. Parts were scarce on this one as I remember. I ended up splicing a fuse in affected wiring until parts were available.
My Ranger recall was some time ago so do not "recall" all details.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Believe there has been a "park outside" in last few years on certain Expeditions and pretty sure my 2001 Ranger got a "Park Outside" notice on a recall involving Master cylinder wiring harness. Parts were scarce on this one as I remember. I ended up splicing a fuse in affected wiring until parts were available.
My Ranger recall was some time ago so do not "recall" all details.
But none for the BS.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Wow. I know it's little comfort for those awaiting parts or service appointments, but you are not alone.

https://fox2now.com/news/contact-2/2-5-million-vehicles-with-urgent-recalls-remain-unrepaired-in-u-s/
Quote from article:

"Olsen urges consumers to take recalls seriously and contact your automaker to get the problem fixed.

“These are things that can injure you. They can injure your community. They can injure your family. You’ve got to get the recalls taken care of,” he said.

There are about 200 separate models from various automakers, over multiple model years, for which “do not drive” or “park outside” safety recalls have been issued."

So Olsen is placing the blame on *owners*?! Sure, there are some people who put off recalls for a variety of reasons, but from what I've read, most of these recalls have not been completed due to a lack of parts.

Question: Do auto mfrs reimburse the owners of vehicles that cannot be driven?

Last edited:

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Quote from article:

"Olsen urges consumers to take recalls seriously and contact your automaker to get the problem fixed.

“These are things that can injure you. They can injure your community. They can injure your family. You’ve got to get the recalls taken care of,” he said.

There are about 200 separate models from various automakers, over multiple model years, for which “do not drive” or “park outside” safety recalls have been issued."

So Olsen is placing the blame on *owners*?! Sure, there are some people who put off recalls for a variety of reasons, but from what I've read, most of these recalls have not been completed due to a lack of parts.

Question: Do auto mfrs reimburse the owners of vehicles that cannot be driven?
Most dealers will give you a loaner if the car is in for warranty/recall work and parts are not available. Not always, but I have always gotten a loaner in those cases from my local dealer over the years.

I'm more concerned about shitty drivers injuring me then this recall fix. If you smell raw fuel and your not actively pumping gas at a gas station, pull over and turn off the vehicle. 54 reported underhood fires, only 17 of those confirmed to be caused by a cracked injector. Out of over 521k vehicles, .0034% confirmed fires from a cracked injector. Too many lawyer involved at this point. I think the fix should be better then a drain tube but the ECU update will give a good heads up as a safeguard.

https://www.classaction.org/news/cracked-fuel-injectors-can-cause-ford-escape-bronco-sport-models-to-suddenly-catch-fire-class-action-says

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most dealers will give you a loaner if the car is in for warranty/recall work and parts are not available. Not always, but I have always gotten a loaner in those cases from my local dealer over the years.

I'm more concerned about shitty drivers injuring me then this recall fix. If you smell raw fuel and your not actively pumping gas at a gas station, pull over and turn off the vehicle. 54 reported underhood fires, only 17 of those confirmed to be caused by a cracked injector. Out of over 521k vehicles, .0034% confirmed fires from a cracked injector. Too many lawyer involved at this point. I think the fix should be better then a drain tube but the ECU update will give a good heads up as a safeguard.

https://www.classaction.org/news/cracked-fuel-injectors-can-cause-ford-escape-bronco-sport-models-to-suddenly-catch-fire-class-action-says
Just to clarify, the article I quoted is about all recalled vehicles in the U.S. So my comments were about the auto industry in general -- not Ford specifically or the fuel injector recall.

I did go ahead and look at the ClassAction.org piece you linked to. I agree with you that, "...the fix should be better then a drain tube..." That is also a point made in the lawsuit.

Quote:

"The apparent fix also involves installing a drain tube to allow fuel to drain from the cylinder head to the ground below a vehicle and onto a driver’s property, the filing states.

“Ford has not even attempted to resolve the underlying issue with the fuel injectors, noting that ‘the root cause is still under investigation,’” the case stresses.

Ford’s purported remedies to the cracked fuel injector issue place an undue burden onto drivers, who have been offered no reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses, loss of use or loss of value, the suit rails.

“To add further insult to injury,” the case goes on, “rather than do the right thing and globally offer to provide consumers with a comparable loaner vehicle while Ford fully resolves the issue, Ford has done nothing of the sort.”

Of course, any experience one forum member might have had is anecdotal. In my case, I was given a loaner car (a ginormous Dodge 4x4 crew cab...) by the local Subaru dealer when my WRX was in for recall work (which was several times). That happened at least once. Every single other time I've taken a vehicle in for recall or warranty work (since the 1970s) I've been on my own to arrange transportation.

OTOH, a former coworker who liked to buy used German sport sedans still under warranty, had a BMW 545i that needed some work. He took it to the local BMW dealer. They did not sell him the car, they did not know him at all. Not only did they happily agree to fix the problems my coworker pointed out, they found other issues and fixed them! They gave him a brand new BMW as a loaner, and his 545 was washed and fully detailed when he picked it up.

So IOW, there is a wide range of treatment.

What I'd like to know is, are owners of vehicles (of all makes) that are essentially out of service -- they've been told not to drive them -- getting loaner cars?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
“Ford has not even attempted to resolve the underlying issue with the fuel injectors, noting that ‘the root cause is still under investigation,’” the case stresses.
FYI, (updated info): if fuel injectors on the Bronco Sport 1.5L engine do crack, Ford will replace (one time?) based on what I read. (edited) See pic and link: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/22S73
Ford Bronco Sport 2.5 Million Vehicles Waiting for Recall Work 1684525815949

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, (updated info): if fuel injectors on the Bronco Sport 1.5L engine do crack, Ford will replace (up to a mileage limit) based on what I read. (edited) See pic and link: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/22S73
Ford Bronco Sport 2.5 Million Vehicles Waiting for Recall Work 1684525815949
Dude,

It should be clear, but just in case, the language you quoted from my post (#12) was from the class action lawsuit linked to by Blue oval fan:

I have no interest in the 1.5L fuel injector recall -- other than hoping that it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I suspect though that Ford promising to replace fuel injectors -- after they fail and leak gasoline -- will not satisfy those involved in the class action, who will probably say replacement after they crack does not resolve the underlying issue with the fuel injectors.

The article linked to by Mark (the OP) refers to a wide range of mfrs. Ford is not even mentioned:

Quote from OP's article:

"Olsen is aware of some 200 vehicles from various automakers over multiple model years currently under recall. Just this week, nearly 220,000 Jeep Cherokee’s were recalled due to fire risk. Two weeks prior, BWM [sic] issued a “do not drive” warning due to recalled airbags. And in late April, General Motors issues a “park outside” warning on 40,000 recalled pickup trucks.

“These are more serious, more urgent recalls than most because they require drivers to do something unusual,” he said. “Either do not drive it, or in the case of a lot of these cars, they get a park outside order which means don’t park it in your garage, don’t park it next to your garage. If you can park it away from a building because the risk of fire is just that great.”

Nothing about Ford or the BS.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Dude,

It should be clear, but just in case, the language you quoted from my post (#12) was from the class action lawsuit linked to by Blue oval fan:

[Dude: it is clear and I only pointed out for completeness that there is newer info starting Jan 2023 on the cracked fuel injector topic which some might find helpful]

I have no interest in the 1.5L fuel injector recall -- other than hoping that it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

[Dude: Same for me… I have a Badlands and marked ignore for the 1.5L specific threads]
Sponsored