2.3L Option in the future?

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
What are the chances of getting the 2.3L in the future, (the same one that that "real" Bronco has as the base engine)?
I am interested in a badlands, but I am afraid I'd regret it if Ford adds the 2.3L to the Bronco Sport after a year or so...
Thoughts??
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That would be nice. Since we're fantasizing, why not a 2.3L with a manual transmission!
Focus-ST experience in an SUV! I would pre-order today with 50% non-refundable deposit, with the only stipulation is that they deliver the goods.

That, on a Badlands, would be the ultimate, for-the-ages vehicle for me.

Last edited:

Voidoid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Subaru Outback
What are the chances of getting the 2.3L in the future, (the same one that that "real" Bronco has as the base engine)?
I am interested in a badlands, but I am afraid I'd regret it if Ford adds the 2.3L to the Bronco Sport after a year or so...
Thoughts??
Ford could name it the Bronco Sport Sport

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
No need for it at all unless the competition heats up. The 1.5L is on par with everything in the class ~180/190 pretty average.
2.0 SMOKES em. next most powerful sub crossover is the 2.5L CX30 with 185/185

Ford Bronco Sport 2.3L Option in the future? 414C4230-5C24-40AA-B50E-BBF0D9F24E05

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The competition's engines have four cylinders and timing chains. Only the Badlands and First Edition offer this. And they get their 180-190 without the worry of a turbo.

And yes, the 2.0 sounds great, but only offered on Badlands and First Edition (no need to count FE as it is sold out).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah..... wonder how dependable the 2.0L will be....some reservatiions. All the more reason to wait until 2022. I have never owned a 1st year of a new car and i have a feeling I am not breaking that tradition this time either.

Most of the time the "Limited editions" at launch will be available as some other trim a year or 2 after the intro. May not have cool badges, but will probably have the same stuff otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will the 2.0L have traditional dipsticks for oil and ATF ? (I would really miss those... i am a bit old fashioned)

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Will the 2.0L have traditional dipsticks for oil and ATF ? (I would really miss those... i am a bit old fashioned)
While my two vehicle are a few years old (model years 2016 and 2018), and neither have ATF in them, they both have traditional oil dipsticks. What are they doing now? Sightglass, like some motorcycles? Something else?

OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh - that is worrisome. I have no clue how those cars monitor ATF levels - prob like an oil life monitor of some sort. A Bronco Sport will have a PTU, a differential and an AT.... hopefully there is SOME way to change fluids on those units. (my 2010 escape is like that - one has some way of changing fluids even though they're "liftime" fluids. ). I am NOT a believer in "life time fluids" no matter what manufacturer it is.

hawkonthego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
@ Washburn................my 2.0 liter in my Fusion has over 100K with no problems, just regular maintenance stuff. Would be nice if Ford would drop the 3 cylinder, make the 2.0 standard and add the 2.3 as an option. The PTU does need fluid changes earlier than what Ford says is needed from what I have been reading. You Tube channel "FordTechMakuloco" has videos talking about the PTUs. Here is one video about PTUs

OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. would have been so nice if 2 and 2.3L engines were available as base and optional....
IDK how realistic it is that Ford would add the 2.3 later in a few years....but i don't want to wait THAT long. Longest I'd wait is 2022 model (to get it in 2021). I am 50... and time flies these days, and all the mountains and trails (by hiking, not by driving, hence the Bronco Sport, and not the big bronco) I want to conquer are waiting.

I am a religious follower of FordTechMakuloco's YT videos. He is such a help, esp as his own car is a 2009 Escape. :)

when I got my used 2010 Escape (with 85k miles) first thing I did was change the ATF and the PTU fluids. PTU fluid looked remarkably good, ATF was normal dark-ish, but still good.

Need to do the diff fluid as well, I guess. That car has NO places for jack stands...

rms34208

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2013 SEL
The competition's engines have four cylinders and timing chains. Only the Badlands and First Edition offer this. And they get their 180-190 without the worry of a turbo.

And yes, the 2.0 sounds great, but only offered on Badlands and First Edition (no need to count FE as it is sold out).
Don,t worry next year it will reappear as a Limited model, like on F150.
If they can get an additional $7000 they will!

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Thoughts??

To be honest with the current power level of the 2.3 vs. the 2.0 I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Going back to the Lincoln MKC one with the 2.0 the other 2.3 the acceleration times were within a couple of tenths a second. Although the 2.3 offered in the Bronco and the Ranger are way detuned vs. what it is in the Mustang at 310hp, while the Ranger is offered at 275hp as it is with the full size Bronco.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
To be honest with the current power level of the 2.3 vs. the 2.0 I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Going back to the Lincoln MKC one with the 2.0 the other 2.3 the acceleration times were within a couple of tenths a second. Although the 2.3 offered in the Bronco and the Ranger are way detuned vs. what it is in the Mustang at 310hp, while the Ranger is offered at 275hp as it is with the full size Bronco.
You must take weight of each vehicle in consideration. I have a 2.0 and also test drove the 2.3 , imo the 2.0 is is equivalent with full on torque and speed .

Ford Bronco Sport 2.3L Option in the future? E6A99B29-4053-40F3-9FF0-93D6A4310E19
Sponsored