Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I usually change the oil on new cars after the recommended break-in interval, which for the Badlands is 1,000 miles. Others have posted procedures, so I'm not going to go into that other than to say the bash plate on the bottom is substantial. I removed all the bolts except for one in front and one in back, then used my knee to hold the back up while I removed the remaining two bolts.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_120708

*EDIT: As MaxVelocity points out in this post, the two holes in the back of the skid plate are slotted, so you don't have to remove the mounting bolts all the way to get the plate off. This also helps when reinstalling the plate. Leave the two aft bolts mostly screwed in and slide the plate onto them. The bolts will hold the back end of the plate up for you while you put the rest of the bolts in. I never noticed the holes were slotted!

After that, it's like changing the oil on any other vehicle.

Something I always do on the first oil change is to inspect the oil filter. I use an oil filter cutter to get at the filter media. The series of photos below show the filter in various stages of dismantling. The first is what you see after you cut the end off the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130332

The rubber piece is the anti-drain check valve. It prevents unfiltered oil from draining back into the sump, bringing with it any debris caught by the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130350

Below that is the media seal and the actual filter media. Oil flows into the filter from the engine, past the anti-drain check valve, around the media seal to the outside of the filter, then through the filter media (see below) before returning to the engine through the hole in the middle.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130457

Below, you can see the filter media assembly after removal from the filter. The media itself is typically a paper material that allows oil under pressure to flow through, but not debris large enough to cause damage to internal engine parts.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130531

To inspect the media you have to cut it off the media assembly. Use a utility blade (carefully!) and cut around both ends of the medial assembly. After that you can remove the paper media and spread it open for inspection.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130831

Below you can see the media removed from the media assembly. The assembly core is made out of metal to hold the media in place, otherwise the paper would just collapse in on itself under the pressure generated from the pumping oil.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130956

After you spread out the media you can look in each of the pleats for debris. Remember, the oil flows from the outside of the filter inward, so you want to inspect the side of the media that faces outward. Note the small, metallic particle next to the tip of the pen and on the pleat to the right. There were a dozen or so particles like this throughout the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_131354

It's not uncommon to see small bits of metal like this following engine break-in. What's more important is what they're made of. Use a magnet to determine if any of the particles are ferrous. Ferrous metal comes from bearings, cams, crankshaft, connecting rods, etc. None of the metal bits I found in the filter were ferrous (they were most likely bits of aluminum from piston skirts or left over debris from production), but if any had been I would have documented it, made a report to the dealership to get it on the car's permanent maintenance record, and changed the oil/inspected the filter after another 1,000 miles. A trend of ferrous metal particles in your filter would be troubling. Once out of break-in you really shouldn't see any significant wear on internal engine parts made from ferrous metals. In my case, I saw exactly what I expected to see. I usually inspect the filter every other change for the first four oil changes, and if I don't see anything alarming I go to every fourth oil change.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ramseyi

Badlands
First Name
Ramsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
That is something to learn.. btw I wish I could change my own oil, or ask the tech to open up the filter for me and check if theres some debris inside the filter. But I guess thats too much too ask for a dealership tech.

Last edited:

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I usually change the oil on new cars after the recommended break-in interval, which for the Badlands is 1,000 miles. Others have posted procedures, so I'm not going to go into that other than to say the bash plate on the bottom is substantial. I removed all the bolts except for one in front and one in back, then used my knee to hold the back up while I removed the remaining two bolts.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_120708

After that, it's like changing the oil on any other vehicle.

Something I always do on the first oil change is to inspect the oil filter. I use an oil filter cutter to get at the filter media. The series of photos below show the filter in various stages of dismantling. The first is what you see after you cut the end off the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130332

The rubber piece is the anti-drain check valve. It prevents unfiltered oil from draining back into the sump, bringing with it any debris caught by the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130350

Below that is the media seal and the actual filter media. Oil flows into the filter from the engine, past the anti-drain check valve, around the media seal to the outside of the filter, then through the filter media (see below) before returning to the engine through the hole in the middle.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130457

Below, you can see the filter media assembly after removal from the filter. The media itself is typically a paper material that allows oil under pressure to flow through, but not debris large enough to cause damage to internal engine parts.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130531

To inspect the media you have to cut it off the media assembly. Use a utility blade (carefully!) and cut around both ends of the medial assembly. After that you can remove the paper media and spread it open for inspection.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130831

Below you can see the media removed from the media assembly. The assembly core is made out of metal to hold the media in place, otherwise the paper would just collapse in on itself under the pressure generated from the pumping oil.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_130956

After you spread out the media you can look in each of the pleats for debris. Remember, the oil flows from the outside of the filter inward, so you want to inspect the side of the media that faces outward. Note the small, metallic particle next to the tip of the pen and on the pleat to the right. There were a dozen or so particles like this throughout the filter.

Ford Bronco Sport 1st Oil Change on Badlands 20220125_131354

It's not uncommon to see small bits of metal like this following engine break-in. What's more important is what they're made of. Use a magnet to determine if any of the particles are ferrous. Ferrous metal comes from bearings, cams, crankshaft, connecting rods, etc. None of the metal bits I found in the filter were ferrous (they were most likely bits of aluminum from piston skirts or left over debris from production), but if any had been I would have documented it, made a report to the dealership to get it on the car's permanent maintenance record, and changed the oil/inspected the filter after another 1,000 miles. A trend of ferrous metal particles in your filter would be troubling. Once out of break-in you really shouldn't see any significant wear on internal engine parts made from ferrous metals. In my case, I saw exactly what I expected to see. I usually inspect the filter every other change for the first four oil changes, and if I don't see anything alarming I go to every fourth oil change.
Excellent post ?

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is something to learn.. btw I wish I could change my own oil, or ask the tech to open up the filter for me and check if theres some debris inside the filter. But I guess thats too much too ask for a dealership tech.
Bring in a gallon ziplock bag and ask the tech to put the filter in it. Get yourself a cutter and do your own inspection.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting info.
I had my oil change done at the dealer, I didn't see any need to turn an oil change into a science project, been there done that.
I get it. I like getting my hands dirty on occasion, but there are times when I don't want to be bothered with it. Depends on the job, mostly.

Oil changes are pretty easy since I have enough space and the tools for it. Plus, I like to get a peak at what's happening underneath. Repair costs for most problems that happen on that side of the car go up the longer you wait.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Mark S.

Seeing your pic of laying on the floor makes me cringe, that used to be me. If the vehicle is not a decent height off the ground I don't want to work on it, its not fun anymore laying on a creeper or cardboard or what have you. Yes I would look/go underneath if I see some type of leak, hear a noise or in a go no go situation otherwise no.
I have the tools and space as well, if I had a full automotive lift It would be a different story.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Thanks for sharing that Mark

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Excellent post Mark -- well done! :sunglasses:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Dealer,
$39.95,
Includes a Tire rotation,
I sit in the waiting area,
Look at new car brochures,
Drink coffee,
or come in here and watch guys cut open oil filters.
Interesting….

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
excellent write up. thanks for posting.
i also think that oil change intervals are way too long on these vehicles, i try for every 5,000km (3,100 miles). im a clean oil freak.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I need to get one of those oil filter cutter things

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
excellent write up. thanks for posting.
i also think that oil change intervals are way too long on these vehicles, i try for every 5,000km (3,100 miles). im a clean oil freak.
Imma clean oil freak also, I do a 5,000 mile interval with the blend. This turbo and wet belt I think is best served with Fords blend. I’ve always done 1k miles per quart on blends and 2k miles per quart on full syn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer,
$39.95,
Includes a Tire rotation,
I sit in the waiting area,
Look at new car brochures,
Drink coffee,
or come in here and watch guys cut open oil filters.
Interesting….
From the gumpy old guy... ?

Reminds me of something I saw about oil change instructions for women vs men:

Oil Change instructions for Women:
  1. Pull up to Dealership when the mileage reaches 5,000 miles since the last oil change.
  2. Relax in the waiting room while enjoying a cup of coffee.
  3. 15 minutes later, scan debit card and leave, driving a properly maintained vehicle.
Total Cost:
Oil Change: $39.95
Coffee: Complementary
TOTAL: $39.95

Oil Change instructions for Men:
  1. Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, and use your debit card for $50.00.
  2. Stop to buy a case of beer, (debit $24), drive home.
  3. Since you have beer you may as well have one.
  4. Jack truck up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
  5. Find jack stands under kid’s pedal car.
  6. Alleviate frustration with another beer.
  7. Place drain pan under engine.
  8. Spend 30 minutes looking for correctly sized socket and ratchet.
  9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
  10. Consider beer, realize you are behind schedule and decide against.
  11. Reconsider beer, realize it's Saturday and there is no schedule: Beer!
  12. Unscrew drain plug.
  13. Splash hot oil on you when plug falls in drain pan.
  14. Cuss.
  15. Crawl out from under truck to wipe hot oil off you and put kitty litter on spilled oil.
  16. Have another beer while oil drains.
  17. Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
  18. Give up; crawl under truck and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
  19. Crawl out from under truck with filter dripping oil everywhere from holes and cleverly hide it in trash to avoid environmental penalties.
  20. Drink a beer to celebrate your inventiveness and cleverness.
  21. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
  22. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
  23. Remember drain plug from step 12.
  24. Scramble to find drain plug in drain pan.
  25. Realize it's too late and drink a beer to calm down.
  26. Put kitty litter on 1st quart of oil now on floor.
  27. Crawl under truck to install drain plug and get kitty litter in eyes.
  28. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug.
  29. Bang knuckles when stupid crescent wrench slips off the drain plug as you tighten it.
  30. Engage in cussing fit (you know from experience it really helps with the pain).
  31. Throw stupid crescent wrench (this ALSO helps with the pain).
  32. Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit truck and left dent.
  33. Realize it's time for beer.
  34. Clean up hands and bandage as required.
  35. Beer.
  36. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
  37. Beer.
  38. Lower truck from jack stands.
  39. Beer.
  40. Test drive to check for leaks.
  41. Get pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence; truck is impounded.
  42. Call loving wife, make bail.
  43. 12 hours later, get truck from impound yard. Note there are no oil leaks under it. Success!
Total Cost:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2,500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1,500.00
Beer: $20.00
TOTAL: $4,145.00

But you know the job was done right!
Sponsored