1.5L engine being replaced with only 5077 miles.

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi everyone! I've searched this site for an issue like mine. I do apologize if this has been done before. Took my 2023 BS Outer Banks to my Ford dealership as it was hesitating badly when accelerating. There was also a knocking sound coming out of the engine and the vehicle would buck when stopped (I turn off the start/stop). They told me I needed a new engine as one of the cylinders was scored. Seems one of the gaskets was defective and leaked oil into it and burned it all up. I won't be getting my BS back until early November hopefully. Anyone else with this issue? I attached the photos the dealership sent me.

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L engine being replaced with only 5077 miles. Pic 1

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L engine being replaced with only 5077 miles. Pic 2

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L engine being replaced with only 5077 miles. Pic 3
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Don't see too many Sports having major engine issues. Hopefully dealer is providing a loaner car. Also they need to repair the vehicle within the time frame specified by your states lemon laws so I would look into that.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
Sorry to read of your engine problem ! I hope the new mill gives you the level of service and reliability that is expected. Let us know how the process works out for you!

roboto65

Big Bend
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Mine has 2000ish miles on it got it from the dealer with those miles. Took it home and kinda noticed a knock under acceleration so the next morning was washing it figured I would check the oil.
Now mind you I bought it 2 days before and waited a hour or so for them to ”service it “for new sale. Well when I checked the oil it was low at the bottom of the stick about a 1/4 inch on the stick. They made it right by doing another service and changing oil but still have the knock.
I have been off shore for work, but off in the morning and going to dealer to see if it’s a 1.5 noise by test driving another or if it’s not. Been around cars a long time and it sure sounds like a rod knock.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I'll look into it, thanks for the information. They gave me an F150 XLT. I'm 5'1 so it's been an adventure to drive.
Nice loaner! Some post here that a dealer has had their car in for several weeks or months, with no loaner.

Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
bostonbruinsfan
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Mine has 2000ish miles on it got it from the dealer with those miles. Took it home and kinda noticed a knock under acceleration so the next morning was washing it figured I would check the oil.
Now mind you I bought it 2 days before and waited a hour or so for them to ”service it “for new sale. Well when I checked the oil it was low at the bottom of the stick about a 1/4 inch on the stick. They made it right by doing another service and changing oil but still have the knock.
I have been off shore for work, but off in the morning and going to dealer to see if it’s a 1.5 noise by test driving another or if it’s not. Been around cars a long time and it sure sounds like a rod knock.
Mine had 18 original miles when I bought it on June 3rd.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi everyone! I've searched this site for an issue like mine. I do apologize if this has been done before. Took my 2023 BS Outer Banks to my Ford dealership as it was hesitating badly when accelerating. There was also a knocking sound coming out of the engine and the vehicle would buck when stopped (I turn off the start/stop). They told me I needed a new engine as one of the cylinders was scored. Seems one of the gaskets was defective and leaked oil into it and burned it all up. I won't be getting my BS back until early November hopefully. Anyone else with this issue? I attached the photos the dealership sent me.

At least you didn't get the run around from the dealer. You know "this is normal, etc."

Providing you with the photos and keeping you updated says a lot about the dealership.

Hope all goes well.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I'll look into it, thanks for the information. They gave me an F150 XLT. I'm 5'1 so it's been an adventure to drive.
Our local Ford dealer is also a Subaru dealer. About 20 years ago, I had recall work done on my 2002 WRX and the dealer arranged for a loaner vehicle from a nearby rental car place. They gave us this:

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L engine being replaced with only 5077 miles. 1696365225778

A Dodge Ram 2500 4WD, Crew Cab, Long Bed. I'm 6'2", and coming from the WRX it seemed HUGE.

My wife OTOH is 5'2" and loved it! Go figure.

I was happy to get the WRX back.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Well that’s not very reassuring, mine has 3914 miles.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.

Thanks for being a Bruins Fan !!!

roboto65

Big Bend
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Well checked my oil when I got home and guess what back to the bottom of the stick. Service has jumped on it and I will be up there tomorrow to drop my BS off and see what's up, but 2 full oil pans of oil have disappeared in 250 miles of driving. I am sure they will make it right.

Hope they fix you up quick!

Oh and no smoke or leaks that I can see the exhaust tips have black soot in them but again no smoke that I saw.

OP
OP
bostonbruinsfan
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Well checked my oil when I got home and guess what back to the bottom of the stick. Service has jumped on it and I will be up there tomorrow to drop my BS off and see what's up, but 2 full oil pans of oil have disappeared in 250 miles of driving. I am sure they will make it right.

Hope they fix you up quick!

Oh and no smoke or leaks that I can see the exhaust tips have black soot in them but again no smoke that I saw.
Thanks! Best of luck with your Sport.
Sponsored