Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm a Ford tech for 32 yr's,. we dont even have this recall from Ford on our tech page, I've never seen a Injector crack and leak either
I called up a local dealer to get in line to have mine checked over, and the service guy did not know about the recall. I was able to give him the 22S73 code, and he said "huh, well yeah it looks like we have it in the system".

I am lucky in that they said they could take a look in late Dec. I was expecting Feb or March. Very glad I called to schedule the inspection instead of waiting for an official notice.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So by installing a drain tube, the fuel will be redirected... it's still leaking...🤔

Why not replace the injector that is cracked? Isn't that the safest thing to do?
Maybe drain tube routes leaking gas back to the fuel tank?

TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
The Thing is, when you get the recall it is only going to be inspected for cracks. If none are found they are not going to replace any injectors at all. They are to install the drain tube and put the PCM programming in to notify you if it senses a drop in Fuel Injector pressure and then cut power appropriately. They also say that any cracking will only affect .30 percent or so of 21 and .22 or so of 22 models. I don't know about you, but I would feel much safer with them actually replacing the 3 injectors that may end of cracking at some point instead of just doing a crap workaround. If it indeed is a bad part or bad design or a bad batch, just say so. Extending the warranty to 150,000 miles for injectors doesn't make me feel any better. I will get my bronco to over 300,000 is 6-7 years with the driving I do. (2015 Fiesta is up to 355k miles and running strong, given to my son).
I would think that if it was actually a bad run of parts that FoMoCo would have said so and made arrangements for replacement. I believe that there is already a "drain" on the manifold, they just want to add a tube to it so fuel/fumes don't pool and become dangerous. Even if they replaced the rail/injectors, they'd need to reprogram the module and add the drain tube. In actuality, cracked injectors are pretty rare - which is why they are able to extend the warranty on them to 15 years. Recalls and TSBs are are fine with me. It shows they care.

FordTechChris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
If the Injector cracks you'll know it instantly, that lil 3 cyl will be skipping with a huge lack of power, the check engine light will be flashing, you'll have to have it towed

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
I just found out about the recall this morning. I checked & our 21 BS is involved. We have an apt to have it serviced next weekend & will have the injectors checked then.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Of course it does not answer the question of pending scheduled builds of 2023 Bronco Sports. And it does not let me ask the question.
According to the NHTSA and Ford documents the fuel injectors involved have been taken out of production as of 10/17/22 and were redesigned:

The affected design was introduced into production on 11/19/2018 (earliest production date for
2020MY Escape) and were taken out of production on 10/17/2022 (latest production date for
2023MY Escape and Bronco Sport).
Affected vehicles are equipped with 1.5L engines.

188,436 Bronco Sport vehicles are affected.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
I would think that if it was actually a bad run of parts that FoMoCo would have said so and made arrangements for replacement. I believe that there is already a "drain" on the manifold, they just want to add a tube to it so fuel/fumes don't pool and become dangerous. Even if they replaced the rail/injectors, they'd need to reprogram the module and add the drain tube. In actuality, cracked injectors are pretty rare - which is why they are able to extend the warranty on them to 15 years. Recalls and TSBs are are fine with me. It shows they care.
According to the NHTSA and Ford documents, the original injectors have been taken out of production and redesigned:

The affected design was introduced into production on 11/19/2018 (earliest production date for
2020MY Escape) and were taken out of production on 10/17/2022 (latest production date for
2023MY Escape and Bronco Sport).
Affected vehicles are equipped with 1.5L engines.

188,436 Bronco Sport vehicles are affected.

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a 2021 FE and do not have any recalls for anything. Just checked myford and nhtsa nothing. My rear brakes do make a noise when I back up at times. Cold this be effecting the 3 cylinders more then the 4?

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I have a 2021 FE and do not have any recalls for anything. Just checked myford and nhtsa nothing. My rear brakes do make a noise when I back up at times. Cold this be effecting the 3 cylinders more then the 4?
Yes. So far the recalls are for the 3 cylinder engines.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
No recalls on mine yet. Hasn't had any issues so far. No brake noise ect ect ect....

Donewithford

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I’m so over these recalls. I have had every one including this one. 54 vehicles have already caught on fire but we should have the parts by the end of the 1st quarter. Ridiculous!

I'm done with Ford, especially the Bronco Sport. I'm still waiting on a water pump from Oct 24th at 30k miles. And now on the recall list. Anyone wanna buy it? Going back to what I've driven in the past ...Ford is a joke and the dealer is even worse.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I'm done with Ford, especially the Bronco Sport. I'm still waiting on a water pump from Oct 24th at 30k miles. And now on the recall list. Anyone wanna buy it? Going back to what I've driven in the past ...Ford is a joke and the dealer is even worse.
Besides the water pum,p at 30K, prior to this recall have you had any other problems

Donewithford

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Besides the water pum,p at 30K, prior to this recall have you had any other problems
Had to take in 2 other times for minor checks/ recalls that took a few hours concerning oil/ Crack. Replaced tires at 15k.
Sponsored