RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Was about to say "hard pass" on any accessory held on by 3M automotive tape only, then remembered the hood deflector staring at me like Michael Myers day after day. Just waiting for its chance.
The Hood scoop is installed using 3M VHB tape and Polyurethane adhesive.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Was about to say "hard pass" on any accessory held on by 3M automotive tape only, then remembered the hood deflector staring at me like Michael Myers day after day. Just waiting for its chance.
The Hood scoop is installed using 3M VHB tape and Polyurethane adhesive, just like the Door Moldings from Air Design.

I-gor

Big Bend
First Name
Blucher!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The hood deflector may be as well... shows zero signs of ever coming loose.

EARLSAYS

Badlands
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Twenty years ago, I bought a 2004 Mustang - it was a Competition orange V6 - with the "pony package" so, it had the same hood scoop as the GT of that era...I unbolted it, cut out the indentation in the hood where the honeycomb would go if the scoop was not there, and then drilled out every single hole in the honeycomb insert at the leading edge of the hood scoop. It worked as an air extractor, steam would come out of it in cold weather...air ran through it and under the hood, I had the dead bugs burned onto the intake manifold to show for that...

Well, this was an insanely stupid idea, the scoop eventually separated from the hood in the center rear, so air was pushing on it in strange ways it likely was not designed to handle. It never flew off, but it did move quite a bit while driving around. I bet it flew off eventually after I got rid of it, I read on a mustang forum at one point, somebody who did the exact same thing I did, their scoop was okay, just like mine, and then it wasn't, and it flew off the road on the freeway.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Well there’s no way I’m taking my scoop off, it will ruin the hood. Mine is on mighty super strong. My bodyshop used the whole tube of adhesive, I’ll keep mine Thank You Very Much !!!

Ford Bronco Sport Hood Scoop Recall IMG_2547

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Any time I come up on a vehicle that has faux hood scoop, I either accelerate to stay ahead, or fade way back, as I don't want to risk having one come off at speed and provide a projectile for me to have to steer away from.

This happened one time back in the 80's from a driver in front of me that had applied two faux hood scoops on his pickup truck. One came off and hit my windshield, cracking it.

I swear by using the 3M tape; good stuff, but accessories such as a faux scoop should be bolted down for safety of the driver and others sharing the road.

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Any time I come up on a vehicle that has faux hood scoop, I either accelerate to stay ahead, or fade way back, as I don't want to risk having one come off at speed and provide a projectile for me to have to steer away from.
I have the same visceral reaction to that and several other vehicles:

--an Altima with a floppy fender/bumper. Sentras and Taltimas (Rogue) also qualify.

--a 10+ year old Civic or Corolla with a shopping cart wing and the entire Pep Boys catalog of stick on "tuner" parts, bonus points if they're a contrasting color to the body of the car.

--Any Grand Am, G6, or similar late stage badge engineered plastic-laden Pontiacs still on the road.

--FWD Monte Carlo's

--Carolina Squatted Trucks

--Angry Jeeps

--BMW's with M-stripes everywhere (includes wannabe social climbers who stick ///M or AMG badges all over their cars to impress people they don't know)

--Cars with stick figure family stickers, even the "clever" or "funny" ones.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
So the real issue normally is the application, not the tape itself. The part most don’t understand is that it is “pressure” sensitive adhesive. Surface preparation, environmental temperature wile installing and “pressure” are the key factors. The length of time and amount of pressure will vary on the temperature. 3M recommends 15psi for several minutes at 70F.

Honestly, it doesn’t surprise me at all that some fly off. I think people would be amazed at how much of the bodywork is “taped” on. When done properly, it won’t come off on its own. In the case of the hood scoop, the tape is intended as a short term holding until the adhesive cures. The samw for the side body molding.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My friend's Toyota Tacoma came with a hood scoop. Just for looks. Off road, it blocks your view of the road in front of you. My friend complains about it every time we go off road. Classic case of form over function.
Sponsored