My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground.

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a 2021 Big Bend with 14k miles on it.
I've been testing it and only when in a hill the dirt is loose it disables the 4wd.
I am not talking about a long hill ascent. Just a few meters and there goes the limp mode.
I even have a video on Youtube.
If I try to climb on Normal mode it wont do it because the throttle will not go deeper, but in sand mode it gives more response and start climbing very good until tires start to spin in the rock or dirt. Seconds later if you keep forcing it will disable the 4wd.
Minutes after I continue and climb for some seconds more during the spinning area. Keep doing the stop and go until I make it.

The problem is not the power nor the traction is the overprotection of the system.
I hope it comes a tune for that.

Anyone have the same issues?

Sponsored

Last edited:

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Big bends are essentially AWD escapes, not to shit in the capabilities of the vehicle or anything (hell, I have a big bend myself) but I think your ecpectations are a little too much.
If you want to rock crawl get a big bronco or at the very least a bronco sport badlands with the advanced 4x4 system.

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Big bends are essentially AWD escapes, not to shit in the capabilities of the vehicle or anything (hell, I have a big bend myself) but I think your ecpectations are a little too much.
If you want to rock crawl get a big bronco or at the very least a bronco sport badlands with the advanced 4x4 system.
Thats not rock climbing.
Btw I've done it more than 4 times there up to the top. My concern is the limp mode. Not the track.

Ford Bronco Sport My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground. 20220105_110645

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The problem is not the power nor the traction is the overprotection of the system.
TBH, it sounds like the system is working as designed. The unit that transfers power from the front to the back is clutch based, which means friction. The unit in the Badlands is liquid cooled; yours is not. The 4wd system monitors temperatures and disables itself before components are damaged.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
TBH, it sounds like the system is working as designed. The unit that transfers power from the front to the back is clutch based, which means friction. The unit in the Badlands is liquid cooled; yours is not. The 4wd system monitors temperatures and disables itself before components are damaged.
Agreed.
What I would watch for is if it keeps getting worse as sign that the clutch is going out.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
@abxponce

Question
Is there a reason your approach to those hill climbs was so slow?
Was that part of you testing the system? Did you try and do those hill climbs faster how did it work?

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Agreed.
What I would watch for is if it keeps getting worse as sign that the clutch is going out.
Yes. I think the best thing to do is to get a better way up and maybe a spotter for an easier way.

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Some
@abxponce

Question
Is there a reason your approach to those hill climbs was so slow?
Was that part of you testing the system? Did you try and do those hill climbs faster how did it work?
Yes some deep holes will hit my underbody. I later try it keeping the tires on the hardest part and the other one on the side and I made it.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
The BS should have no problem with that slight hill , even though its loose gravel . It may be the way you are attacking it or you may have an issue with the rear drive system . Remember some tested Bad lands had the same issue with over heated rear drives & going into limp mode till they cooled off , so it's possible to make any of the BS's have this issue .

Did you try it with the Traction control OFF ? Low switched on ?

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The BS should have no problem with that slight hill , even though its loose gravel . It may be the way you are attacking it or you may have an issue with the rear drive system . Remember some tested Bad lands had the same issue with over heated rear drives & going into limp mode till they cooled off , so it's possible to make any of the BS's have this issue .

Yes indeed. I tried Normal mode and trac off with the L gear it was lame power.

It looks a slight hill but it is not.
This one on the video is a slight hill.

Yes I tried. Normal mode , trac off and L Gear. But no power allowed.
Sand Mode and L. Good response.

The hill is not that slight trust me on that one.

Here is a video of a slight hill.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Your vehicle isn't really designed to tackle those kinds of hills, it's why manufactures should stop labeling AWDS as 4wd.

You're going to run into overheating problems any time you tackle steep loose terrain. Your AWD system uses friction to transfer power to the back and can overheat. On top of that it uses brake locking to transfer power side to side which cuts your available torque roughly in half and these vehicles don't have a lot to begin with.

The Badlands would be able to tackle that hill a lot easier but even it may run into overheating problems with a very long climb like that.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes I tried. Normal mode , trac off and L Gear. But no power allowed.
Sand Mode and L. Good response.
So, are you saying that while attempting the hill in Normal mode:
  • Power was lost and 4WD was disabled
...but after switching to Sand mode:
  • Power was maintained and 4WD was not disabled
Basically, Normal mode couldn't handle the hill but Sand mode could. Is that correct?

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your vehicle isn't really designed to tackle those kinds of hills, it's why manufactures should stop labeling AWDS as 4wd.

You're going to run into overheating problems any time you tackle steep loose terrain. Your AWD system uses friction to transfer power to the back and can overheat. On top of that it uses brake locking to transfer power side to side which cuts your available torque roughly in half and these vehicles don't have a lot to begin with.

The Badlands would be able to tackle that hill a lot easier but even it may run into overheating problems with a very long climb like that.
So, are you saying that while attempting the hill in Normal mode:
  • Power was lost and 4WD was disabled
...but after switching to Sand mode:
  • Power was maintained and 4WD was not disabled
Basically, Normal mode couldn't handle the hill but Sand mode could. Is that correct?
YES 4wd was disabled faster in sand mode. But it made better work climbing.

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Thats true.
I bought mine back in April 2021 these BS were the first to arrive to PR.
I didnt check anything about them on the internet after getting it ?
So I bought it specially because it said on the window sticker 4x4.
I felt a bit dissapointed when discovered no transfer case in it.

I can tell that it is still impressive by being on basic model.

Ford Bronco Sport My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground. 20220113_164214
Sponsored

Last edited: