ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Destination and delivery charges are one of those things that car shoppers have come to expect and have little choice but to pay. Many assume that this charge is precisely what it costs the manufacturer to ship a vehicle to a dealership, though a new lawsuit – Mary Hawkins v. Ford Motor Company, recently filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California – alleges that Ford destination charges are actually profitable for the automaker, according to Car Complaints.

Ford Authority Article

Maybe they should have a class action for our vehicles setting in the boneyards waiting on chips, while other units are being built as we speak with everything and shipped!

Really getting :punch: about this :ontheloo:
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I don’t see the problem. Is it wrong to make money off of shipping something? Isn’t that how UPS, USPS, FedEx work?

Kara37

First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
I don’t see the problem. Is it wrong to make money off of shipping something? Isn’t that how UPS, USPS, FedEx work?

It is a problem, when they don't disclose it. It is all in the way they word it.
If they put it as a delivery and handling charge, everyone would know the handling charge is just profit.
However, they like to advertise a lower price, so they can add their price increases to the delivery charge, and then act like the delivery charge has nothing to do with them.
That is deceptive.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
It is a problem, when they don't disclose it. It is all in the way they word it.
If they put it as a delivery and handling charge, everyone would know the handling charge is just profit.
However, they like to advertise a lower price, so they can add their price increases to the delivery charge, and then act like the delivery charge has nothing to do with them.
That is deceptive.
I guess I’m just not that anal. It’s a delivery charge. It costs money to ship stuff.

OP
OP
ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
I guess I’m just not that anal. It’s a delivery charge. It costs money to ship stuff.
I think the whole point of it is this.....

“By virtue of the name of the fee itself, Ford misleads reasonable consumers into believing its ‘Destination & Delivery’ fee reflects the actual cost of shipping its vehicles to their ‘destination,’ not the cost of shipping its vehicles plus profit,” the lawsuit reads. The lawsuit doesn’t specify how much of a profit Ford makes on its destination and delivery fees, but alleges that this practice is “deceptive and unfair.”

Ford is making the profit not the shipper.......

John Comer

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Destination and delivery charges are one of those things that car shoppers have come to expect and have little choice but to pay. Many assume that this charge is precisely what it costs the manufacturer to ship a vehicle to a dealership, though a new lawsuit – Mary Hawkins v. Ford Motor Company, recently filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California – alleges that Ford destination charges are actually profitable for the automaker, according to Car Complaints.

Ford Authority Article

Maybe they should have a class action for our vehicles setting in the boneyards waiting on chips, while other units are being built as we speak with everything and shipped!

Really getting :punch: about this :ontheloo:
I guess my main question is why is it just Ford. Are the other car mauf. not in the suite

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Smoke and mirrors. Lower base price and make it back with higher delivery price. To me its the overall bottom number I look at. Ford can put what ever in what ever bucket they want I don't care the final number is all that natters to me.

OP
OP
ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
I guess my main question is why is it just Ford. Are the other car mauf. not in the suite
"Ford isn’t the only automaker facing such allegations, however. In fact, the same lawyers responsible for this lawsuit also filed a similar suit against cross-town rivals General Motors and Stellantis last month."

OP
OP
ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Smoke and mirrors. Lower base price and make it back with higher delivery price. To me its the overall bottom number I look at. Ford can put what ever in what ever bucket they want I don't care the final number is all that natters to me.
Ya, kind'a like the Smoke and Mirrors email Ford sent me saying my Bronco Sport was built and waiting shipment....... It's been sitting in the Desert soaking up Sun for 30 days now.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Ya, kind'a like the Smoke and Mirrors email Ford sent me saying my Bronco Sport was built and waiting shipment....... It's been sitting in the Desert soaking up Sun for 30 days now.
Mine has had In Production status since June 15. Probably sitting in the same storage lot as yours.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think the whole point of it is this.....

“By virtue of the name of the fee itself, Ford misleads reasonable consumers into believing its ‘Destination & Delivery’ fee reflects the actual cost of shipping its vehicles to their ‘destination,’ not the cost of shipping its vehicles plus profit,” the lawsuit reads. The lawsuit doesn’t specify how much of a profit Ford makes on its destination and delivery fees, but alleges that this practice is “deceptive and unfair.”

Ford is making the profit not the shipper.......
I would guess around $800-900 is a profit.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
In most class action suits the plaintiffs don't get enough to buy dinner and the lawyers make millions. People always have the option of not doing business with a company if they don't like their prices or policies.
Yep lawyers will steal all the money and/or do a back door deal with Ford. Ford publishes the prices if you don't like the price then don't buy it.

Kara37

First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Yep lawyers will steal all the money and/or do a back door deal with Ford. Ford publishes the prices if you don't like the price then don't buy it.
It's true, you don't have to buy it. However, they are being deceptive in their advertised pricing, and everyone knows that half the battle is just getting you in the door.
If Ford wants to raise the price, go ahead and raise it. However, I don't like them being able to advertise a lower price, and then nail people with a ridiculous 1500.00 delivery fee when they show up at the dealer. I hope they lose this suit, even if the lawyers get all the money.
If they are allowed to continue this deceptive practice. It will also cause other manufactures to put their price increases in the delivery fee just to compete, and before you know it you will have 3k added to all vehicles.
Sponsored