She died- UPDATE

BroncoHawaii

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi.
UPDATE: Disconnecting the positive from the battery worked!! She's back home and appears to be ok. I'm definitely keeping wrenches in the car until I can go waste a bunch of time at the dealership. UGH
Question: I read in the manual that
"Note:The engine management system has
a power hold function and remains powered
for a period of time after you switch the
ignition off. This is to allow diagnostic and
adaptive tables to be stored"
So that has to be the "noise" that I hear that lasts about 5 to 10 minutes when I shut it off.

Hi Bronco people.
I have an OB and got almost home. Stopped to unlock my gate and she would not start. Start button flashing. Lights and dash would not turn off. No screen or error messages. Some kind of humming (no better explanation). Got it to start once using my other FOB but she died when I put it in drive. I have disconnected the battery so it doesn't go dead.
I'm hoping maybe in a few hours I'll try to see if it "rebooted" itself. If not, she gets towed tomorrow. Total bummer!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Hi Bronco people.
I have an OB and got almost home. Stopped to unlock my gate and she would not start. Start button flashing. Lights and dash would not turn off. No screen or error messages. Some kind of humming (no better explanation). Got it to start once using my other FOB but she died when I put it in drive. I have disconnected the battery so it doesn't go dead.
I'm hoping maybe in a few hours I'll try to see if it "rebooted" itself. If not, she gets towed tomorrow. Total bummer!!
Your the second person this weekend with the same issue. Good luck

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Yeah that's not sounding very good. And being in an island...that magnifies your issues. I hope you find quick resolution
A month a ago or so, there were reports that rental cars were in such short supply and expensive in Hawaii that tourist were renting U-Hauls for their vacation.

Best wishes to OP for quick resolution!

OP
OP
BroncoHawaii

BroncoHawaii

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
A month a ago or so, there were reports that rental cars were in such short supply and expensive in Hawaii that tourist were renting U-Hauls for their vacation.

Best wishes to OP for quick resolution!
Thanks! all good
It's true- and the tourists are renting Uhauls...not funny but really scary on our small narrow roads!

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi.
UPDATE: Disconnecting the positive from the battery worked!! She's back home and appears to be ok. I'm definitely keeping wrenches in the car until I can go waste a bunch of time at the dealership. UGH
So that has to be the "noise" that I hear that lasts about 5 to 10 minutes when I shut it off.

Hi Bronco people.
Thanks for posting your experience. Let us know what the problem was. Getting ready for a trip out West and will be in remote places. Stories like yours are concerning.

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi.

Hi Bronco people.
I wonder if my 2015 escape has a similar power hold function. If I turn it off and sit in it for a bit after it makes this almost like photocopier noise and always has since I've owned it 6 years. Everything I could find at the time seemed to indicate it was just a diagnostic check.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi.
So that has to be the "noise" that I hear that lasts about 5 to 10 minutes when I shut it off....
Glad it worked out. I had a battery in the trunk of my challenger. I tried the same trick...problem is once the trunk closed it was locked shut. Thank goodness I could drop the rear seats and crawl into the trunk and pop it with the safety strap. Didn't think fast enough as I started to lower the trunk lid...no power, no open...Keep us posted maybe that's all the bronco needed.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I wonder if my 2015 escape has a similar power hold function. If I turn it off and sit in it for a bit after it makes this almost like photocopier noise and always has since I've owned it 6 years. Everything I could find at the time seemed to indicate it was just a diagnostic check.
Some vehicles cycle the vent doors to a default position and you'll hear the motors that are moving the blend doors.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I hope it stored any info of faults when Battery disconnected for a length of time . I know the various ECU's & SRS still have functional power for 15-20 min. , be nice if it stored any codes , some may not show up on any dash or Screen , even though there are some .

Mudpie

First Edition
First Name
Mudpie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2009 Jeep JK
You have to report these problems to the NHTSA in order for an investigation or recall to occur. Very rarely will the manufacturer initiate a recall unless its serious. Its like the fox guarding the hen house. www.nhtsa.gov

HUSBANDOFBS

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB
The wife's had this no start problem this morining. I disconnedted/reconnected the battery for a reset and it's now functioning as usual. I reported the issue on the NHTSA site. Looks like this vehicle needs a Ctrl-Alt-Del app.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
The wife's had this no start problem this morining. I disconnedted/reconnected the battery for a reset and it's now functioning as usual. I reported the issue on the NHTSA site. Looks like this vehicle needs a Ctrl-Alt-Del app.
Time to install a auto switch.
Sponsored