On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
Update - there might be some helpful info here for some.

Picked up the BS today 1 day short of it being in the shop for 4 weeks

There might be 2 different noises some are hearing. 1 might be a normal variant one is not normal and transmission related.

I think mine has been gone through as much as any BS can be gone through. I was fortunate to have a tech and service writer who are maybe more OCD than me when it come to vehicle sounds. Multiple calls to the Ford service hotline, discussions with 2 engineers, replaced shift cable, expedited approval and shipment of a new transmission, testing against multiple stock BSs on the lot, and over 200 test miles put on by the service department. Hopefully we got this.

So the main problem was the loud whirring/clicking/90s era “hard drive” sound most noticeable at ~1500 rpm at around 10mph after the vehicle has been warmed up. See post #54 video by BSideBootleg. Captures it perfectly. The noise could also be variously heard during up shifts and down shifts at lower speeds. The cause is some internal part failure in the transmission. Unconfirmed but possibly a pressure pump or something like that. That problem has been resolved with the new transmission. In fact the transmission/driveline just plain sounds much better and smoother through all the gears. My wife noticed the difference as well.

There is another noise around 1500 rpm that is probably “normal”. This noise sounds similar in some ways to the more serious sounding louder noise. This noise is much softer and more intermittent in nature and only occurs at very low speeds. An important note is this might only apply to the 1.5. No testing or discussions with Ford was done against 2.0. At this time that softer noise should be considered a normal characteristic of 1.5 drivetrain. Your annoyance by this noise may depend on where you fall on the OCD spectrum. Supposedly Ford considers the BS an off-road/adventure/lifestyle vehicle so the NVH tolerances are less than say a comparable Escape. Less insulation/sound deadening, etc.

I hope this is helpful some. So far I am satisfied with the repair and explanations. . I think my dealer went above and beyond to address the problem. Hopefully this does it.

Last edited:

Nancy B

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport

There might be 2 different noises some are hearing. 1 might be a normal variant one is not normal and transmission related.

I think mine has been gone through as much as any BS can be gone through. I was fortunate to have a tech and service writer who are maybe more OCD than me when it come to vehicle sounds. Multiple calls to the Ford service hotline, discussions with 2 engineers, replaced shift cable, expedited approval and shipment of a new transmission, testing against multiple stock BSs on the lot, and over 200 test miles put on by the service department. Hopefully we got this.

So the main problem was the loud whirring/clicking/90s era “hard drive” sound most noticeable at ~1500 rpm at around 10mph after the vehicle has been warmed up. See post #54 video by BSideBootleg. Captures it perfectly. The noise could also be variously heard during up shifts and down shifts at lower speeds. The cause is some internal part failure in the transmission. Unconfirmed but possibly a pressure pump or something like that. That problem has been resolved with the new transmission. In fact the transmission/driveline just plain sounds much better and smoother through all the gears. My wife noticed the difference as well.

There is another noise around 1500 rpm that is probably “normal”. This noise sounds similar in some ways to the more serious sounding louder noise. This noise is much softer and more intermittent in nature and only occurs at very low speeds. An important note is this might only apply to the 1.5. No testing or discussions with Ford was done against 2.0. At this time that softer noise should be considered a normal characteristic of 1.5 drivetrain. Your annoyance by this noise may depend on where you fall on the OCD spectrum. Supposedly Ford considers the BS an off-road/adventure/lifestyle vehicle so the NVH tolerances are less than say a comparable Escape. Less insulation/sound deadening, etc.

I hope this is helpful some. So far I am satisfied with the repair and explanations. . I think my dealer went above and beyond to address the problem. Hopefully this does it.
Wow! Thanks soooo much! This is very helpful! I will get mine in to get this fix also!

PetariJ

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Hopefully I won’t need the new transmission but I’m stoked for you! Did they feel the transmission issue was dangerous to drive around with?

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they feel the transmission issue was dangerous to drive around with?
That never came up in our discussions however I suppose if some internal part totally failed it would leave you stranded somewhere.

BronBron

Big Bend
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO SPORT

Mine isn't as bad as #54, maybe I fall under second category of "normal" sound. I took it to the dealer's today and they weren't all to concerned about driving with it, they scheduled me on June 15 to follow up and give them time to research this problem. The way its looking already at 700 miles it's a good thing I took out an extended warranty.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Thanks for this update--this gives me a bit of hope that this issue will be resolved. When you first got it fixed, what was the problem that occurred after the new transmission was placed in as I think I remember you said that more problems occurred? I actually just got off the phone with Ford--once my BB is fixed (whenever that is) they did say that they will look into providing warranty extensions as my peace of mind with this vehicle is zero...just something you may want to ask about if you didn't already pay for warranty extensions.

Rumanchoo

Big Bend
First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I did pay for an extended warranty because I really liked everything about my BB but wasn’t super confident with the 3cyl and the fact it’s the first year out. I’m not freaking out over the noise though. It bothers me but I really like my BB and so I’m enjoying it and hoping that Ford steps up with a resolution for everyone. A resolution that doesn’t have us in a loaner or trying to get a rental for several weeks.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you first got it fixed, what was the problem that occurred after the new transmission was placed in as I think I remember you said that more problems occurred?
I don’t believe more problems occurred. Probably two separate unrelated (?) noises that coincidentally overlapped with one another. The new transmission fixed the main low speed noise that was clearly not normal. During testing the new transmission the tech picked up on another drivetrain noise. He was being extra through and wanted to hold it over for additional testing before releasing it. He spent another day with it, compared against new 1.5 BS inventory, consulted with Ford. Conclusion is likely normal characteristic. That noise is a little buzz-ish sound at low speeds <10mph most pronounced if you really lug the engine in 1st gear. Way more subtle, quieter, and intermittent than the noise that was the main concern. It does it a tiny bit around 1500rpm while in park. Yeah it’s a 3 cylinder. Just for fun I took my ‘14 Focus and ‘18 F150 2.7 EB for a drive and neither of those sounded happy lugging in 1st gear either. Especially the Focus.

The new transmission made a huge difference. It sounds and drives so much better.

I do have an open case with Ford. Going to give it some miles/time before closing it out. Definitely will be asking if they can spot me some extended warranty coverage on the power train.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don’t believe more problems occurred. Probably two separate unrelated (?) noises that coincidentally overlapped with one another. The new transmission fixed the main low speed noise that was clearly not normal. During testing the new transmission the tech picked up on another drivetrain noise. He was being extra through and wanted to hold it over for additional testing before releasing it. He spent another day with it, compared against new 1.5 BS inventory, consulted with Ford. Conclusion is likely normal characteristic. That noise is a little buzz-ish sound at low speeds <10mph most pronounced if you really lug the engine in 1st gear. Way more subtle, quieter, and intermittent than the noise that was the main concern. It does it a tiny bit around 1500rpm while in park. Yeah it’s a 3 cylinder. Just for fun I took my ‘14 Focus and ‘18 F150 2.7 EB for a drive and neither of those sounded happy lugging in 1st gear either. Especially the Focus.

The new transmission made a huge difference. It sounds and drives so much better.

I do have an open case with Ford. Going to give it some miles/time before closing it out. Definitely will be asking if they can spot me some extended warranty coverage on the power train.
Appreciate you sharing! Will tag you to see how your BB is doing a few months from now. I probably won’t get my BB back for another month and also requested Ford pay for the insurance (have to keep insurance rolling due to loan requirement) and Ford may cover this as well—you probably could request some insurance cash for the 4 weeks yours was out of commission.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Thank you for keeping us all up to date on your journey through this fix. Happy you got your BS back and you all can ride around in it’s full glory. I’ll continue on with my transmission journey

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My wife's BB+BB has the exact same noise. Only at low "parking lot" speeds at around 1500 rpm or so. She has about 600 or miles on it.
Interesting it's being heard with the BL with the 2.0. I was thinking it was maybe a characteristic of the 1.5 I3. Apparently happening with the 2.0 as well. Leads me to think it's not an engine issue as the 2.0 and 1.5 are very different.

Anyone else with same issue?
Yes! I have the same noise. It's a very unpleasant noise that occurs at low speed / low load. As you say, parking lot speed. I had a 2020 Ranger FX4 with the 2.3L turbo that sounded the same. Metallic sound, sort of like a sewing machine chewing up a cheese grater.

AxKnight

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco

Wow.. thank you so much for updating here. I will have info to take with me to point them right where they need to look. Do you mind if I ask what Ford hotline number you called and how you handled it/what you said?
Sponsored