shattered moonroof

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
well-- just a few weeks after getting the vehicle back from the shop for a repair to paint chips, I was driving down the freeway --- heard a poof and crackle.. moonroof shattered.

dont think anything hit me (there's no souveniers sitting inside my moonroof screen). Was only a few miles away from a dealership so I limped it there, and they said its likely an insurance claim--- but under 1000 miles, this vehicle is fragile! :-(
Ford Bronco Sport shattered moonroof 20210525_165328
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
How bizarre, it doesn't look like typical safety glass. By that, I mean the way it failed.

Are any of those edges as sharp as they appear?

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
How bizarre, it doesn't look like typical safety glass. By that, I mean the way it failed.

not really sure-- i didnt want to touch it... had to gently close the door when i got out. Each bump on the way in a few more pieces shattered and fell into the screen above my head.

the physics of it dont make sense for a rock/debris damage-- there's nothing sitting in screen underneath--- if a small rock ricocheted off, it wouldnt shatter from the outside in. sounded like a poof->shatter... like a pressure situation.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
not really sure-- i didnt want to touch it... had to gently close the door when i got out. Each bump on the way in a few more pieces shattered and fell into the screen above my head.

the physics of it dont make sense for a rock/debris damage-- there's nothing sitting in screen underneath--- if a small rock ricocheted off, it wouldnt shatter from the outside in. sounded like a poof->shatter... like a pressure situation.
That’s a glass failure in my books. Not that uncommon ....was it really hot/humid that day?

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
well-- just a few weeks after getting the vehicle back from the shop for a repair to paint chips, I was driving down the freeway --- heard a poof and crackle.. moonroof shattered.

dont think anything hit me (there's no souveniers sitting inside my moonroof screen). Was only a few miles away from a dealership so I limped it there, and they said its likely an insurance claim--- but under 1000 miles, this vehicle is fragile! :-(
Ford Bronco Sport shattered moonroof 20210525_165328
I bought a new 2008 loaded Taurus with moon roof ,first trip on interstate it imploded, looked like that, but small pieces they said factory defect. Installed incorrect.Ford picked that bill up. I would argue that one.

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a new 2008 loaded Taurus with moon roof ,first trip on interstate it imploded, looked exactly like that,they said factory defect. Installed incorrect.Ford picked that bill up. I would argue that one.
Car had 205 miles on it.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My roof made a very loud explosion sound,all glass was in screen but it was all little pieces.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes good point, the glass in my roof was in a million little pieces and they were laying inside the screen .

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Very odd .

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Its probably a defect , may be why they are waiting for them to install on new builds . The hole on the one side could have had something hit it & the pressure could have forced the glass out the sides . Hard to tell , except its definitely broken .

All Glass is fragile

OP
OP

mdub

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Its probably a defect , may be why they are waiting for them to install on new builds . The hole on the one side could have had something hit it & the pressure could have forced the glass out the sides . Hard to tell , except its definitely broken .

All Glass is fragile
Tell me more about this-- "waiting for them to install on new builds"... that's interesting to me...

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
I was thinking the same thing. There was moonroof shortage a while back causing production delays. Wonder if this issue could be due to them switching to different supplier. Pure speculation though.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the same thing. There was moonroof shortage a while back causing production delays. Wonder if this issue could be due to them switching to different supplier. Pure speculation though.
The glass just doesn’t look right , something is awfully wrong with this moonroof,I would be asking why the safety glass in this roof is not in a million pieces. If you hit that roof with a hammer it would and should not look like that. Have a glass shop look at it ,get their opinion and then go to two more shops for their opinion.
Sponsored