Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase?

nd2432

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Hello,

I have a BL + BL that came from the dealer without the factory OE class II tow hitch + sway control package. I was wondering if this is something anyone has heard of adding after the fact? My local dealer referred me to a local shop they use for these sorts of things. Anyone know if this is possible? I noticed the bumper fascias were different as well - think this would be a problem getting hold of too?
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hello,

I have a BL + BL that came from the dealer without the factory OE class II tow hitch + sway control package. I was wondering if this is something anyone has heard of adding after the fact? My local dealer referred me to a local shop they use for these sorts of things. Anyone know if this is possible? I noticed the bumper fascias were different as well - think this would be a problem getting hold of too?
based on reports of materials supply issues and chip shortage particularly present in the Tow package, and specifically sway reduction tech...getting OEM at this point might be difficult. I would guess at some point it may be possible. or simply get a class 2 receiver installed and don't worry about the tow package.

errwik

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I was able to get the hitch and the wiring the difficulty now is the correct bumper. i should have held out for the one I ordered but someone had preordered one and the deal was not able to be finances so we jumped on it, in hindsight we should have waited.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I was able to get the hitch and the wiring the difficulty now is the correct bumper. i should have held out for the one I ordered but someone had preordered one and the deal was not able to be finances so we jumped on it, in hindsight we should have waited.
Just cut the bumper; its cheaper then sourcing out the OEM bumper. It's probably backordered or not available at this time. I have seen some on Ebay used; but who knows if the mounting brackets have been broken or not. Most people use the diagram and cut that notch out. I'm sure there will be better bumper options.

errwik

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Oh I have already done that... :p

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
Hello,

You could source all the factory parts, but there are easier ways to go. I installed a Curt Hitch on a Saturday afternoon. Wiring is on my to-do list but I've been doing some research on that 1st (as well as waiting for a free weekend to do the install).

Also, I don't know if the situation is unique to my vehicle, or if it is common to all MY21 Badlands models, or is common to MY21 Bronco Sports in general, but even though I did not receive the factory hitch on my Badlands, I do actually have the sway control installed/enabled and it came that way from the factory. I suspect many owners do but just haven't looked.

Last edited:

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
Easy to do. I installed a Curt Hitch on a Saturday afternoon. Wiring is on my to-do list but I've been doing some research on that 1st (as well as waiting for a free weekend to do the install).

Also, I don't know if the situation is unique to my vehicle, or if it is common to all MY21 Badlands models, or is common to MY21 Bronco Sports in general, but even though I did not receive the factory hitch on my Badlands, I do actually have the sway control installed/enabled and it came that way from the factory. I suspect many owners do but just haven't looked.
My Big Bend w/o tow package is the same way. It's an option for me under Driver Assistance settings, switched on by default.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
Figured I wasn't unique...
Yeah, I've never seen or felt it activate while towing, but I assume the feature would be locked out under settings if there were truly missing chips or hardware of some kind.

Last edited:

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/factory-bumper-with-oem-trailer-hitch-cuts.3515/#post-62943

Been working on this. The bumper part number is M1PZ-17906-SC
The vendor said the Hitch kit might be available some time late November or December. That's my hold up. We'll see what happens.

I know for a fact that there's dealerships with the bumper in stock. You might wanna ask your local dealer to ask around and see if they'll sale/ship to you.

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
Yeah, I've never seen or felt it activate while towing, but I assume the feature would be disabled under settings if there were truly missing chips or hardware of some kind.
Yeah, I've never seen or felt it activate while towing, but I assume the feature would be locked out under settings if there were truly missing chips or hardware of some kind.
In looking at the settings in FORScan, I got the impression that anti-sway is just a part of the overall stability control system (so no additional sensors or hardware), which is why I suspected that Ford is just leaving it enabled for any Bronco Sport that is capable of towing, not just those with the factory hitch.

Sadly I think we are going to see more cases where an option or a feature is simply a matter of a software setting - Tesla kind of set the trend on this (and their inspiration was the software industry) and it is clear that many other automakers are heading that way as well.

But the fact that it is there and enabled does make it a simpler process to install an aftermarket hitch and get pretty much the same functionality as the factory option.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/factory-bumper-with-oem-trailer-hitch-cuts.3515/#post-62943

Been working on this. The bumper part number is M1PZ-17906-SC
The vendor said the Hitch kit might be available some time late November or December. That's my hold up. We'll see what happens.

I know for a fact that there's dealerships with the bumper in stock. You might wanna ask your local dealer to ask around and see if they'll sale/ship to you.
I know this is an.old post, but do you know if certain trims will have options that are incompatible with that bumper?

Example: I have an OB +OB + Copilot 360 +. Any backup tech I may have that was not included on the FE rear bumper?

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I know this is an.old post, but do you know if certain trims will have options that are incompatible with that bumper?

Example: I have an OB +OB + Copilot 360 +. Any backup tech I may have that was not included on the FE rear bumper?
I don't believe so, but I'm not sure about Co-pilot 360. If you can provide pictures of your current bumper and VIN number, I might be able to find out if there's any differences.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I don't believe so, but I'm not sure about Co-pilot 360. If you can provide pictures of your current bumper and VIN number, I might be able to find out if there's any differences.
PM sent.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
My Big Bend w/o tow package is the same way. It's an option for me under Driver Assistance settings, switched on by default.
Our BB w/o the tow package is the same way.
Sponsored