Bronco Sport Big Bend vs Subaru Forester?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just sold my underpowered Subaru and ordered a Big Bend.

Subaru flaws: Tech from last decade, weird cvt performance. Have to vote Democrat. Ugly.
Sincerely laughed out loud at this...? Not lol real. That's good stuff. Appreciate the humor.
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I was an engineer for Ford. Uhh no comment. ;)
No offense intended. I really like my Mustang, and although I have not taken delivery of my BS I suspect I will really like it as well.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Having worked for (and owned cars built by) both companies, I can assure you that the Subaru is indeed a better built vehicle.

As far as off road capabilities and buyers remorse I wouldn’t worry about it. I suspect most Foresters and Bronco Sports will never see a trail.

Do you like it? Does it do what you need it to do? If yes, then who cares what everyone else drives?
[/QUOTE
I think your BS has the upper hand here but driver experience can make all the difference. I do a lot of offroading in my other truck which is a lifted FJ Cruiser and on the trails I see a lot of guys with trucks more modified than mine not making it through or over obstacles simply because they aren't using their vehicle correctly or just lack the experience and take wrong line etc.
This is very true. Looks like i'm getting stuck lol He's the driving enthusiast.

I'll practice and learn before we go.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just sold my underpowered Subaru and ordered a Big Bend.

Subaru flaws: Tech from last decade, weird cvt performance. Have to vote Democrat. Ugly.
hahaha this is funny. I actually test drove his forester yesterday and it's actually really badass. He has the turbo 2.0 L and it pulls hard.

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
I think the two will perform close enough that it'll come down to driver skill and tires. Forester CVT is definitely a big weak point. And in general the Forester is going to be miserable to drive :)

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think the two will perform close enough that it'll come down to driver skill and tires. Forester CVT is definitely a big weak point. And in general the Forester is going to be miserable to drive :)
Haha I really enjoyed his Forester yesterday actually. I enjoy my BS better for sure but why do you say itll be miserable to drive? lol

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Haha I really enjoyed his Forester yesterday actually. I enjoy my BS better for sure but why do you say itll be miserable to drive? lol
Maybe his For is different than the loaded one I drove recently. There was a lot of idle NVH (felt like a motor mount was broken!), and throttle tip-in was extremely hesitant. It felt like anytime I asked the car to accelerate it would huff and puff and go "FINE, alright, I'll go!" Ride was pretty rough on a basic road. Just overall not fun, I'd much rather be in a BS. Go hit the trails and report back!!

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Maybe his For is different than the loaded one I drove recently. There was a lot of idle NVH (felt like a motor mount was broken!), and throttle tip-in was extremely hesitant. It felt like anytime I asked the car to accelerate it would huff and puff and go "FINE, alright, I'll go!" Ride was pretty rough on a basic road. Just overall not fun, I'd much rather be in a BS. Go hit the trails and report back!!
The NVH is typical of Subaru's. That's one of the biggest downsides to the horizontal boxer engine. They've done a good job minimizing it but you can't ever fully get around physics. The hesitation is 100% the CVT. That's been my biggest complaint over the years of driving mine.

DSanchez

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I think as time passes, you'll be even more confident that you made the right decision with the Big Bend BS. I had a BL on order, with the package, steely look alikes etc...I decided against buying it. I saved almost $8K and I'm not a real "off-roader" either. The BB will satisfy all of my needs. I like the earlier advice given for off-roading, 'remember you have to drive it home.' With that in mind, you'll do fine! Happy motoring!

BroncoHawaii

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My super competitive friend got a Subaru Forester at the same time I got my Big Bend. He keeps talking smack saying it wont keep up off road. I don't know anything about anything except I love my Bronco Sport. If I go romp around with him, am I going to look like a dummy?

What do you guys think???
just remind him that Subaru’s are a great car for middle aged lesbians. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Did his come with Birkenstocks?
Middle aged woman here that owns a Subaru Crosstrek and an Outer Banks BS. I guarentee that I can out ride you in either. I own 30 acres with no pavement to be seen on any of it. You probably drive a shit SUV or maybe a pinto? and BTW both are brand new...cause I can afford them. Also, I have a lifted GMC that will run over you if necessary tough guy. Bring it...

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think as time passes, you'll be even more confident that you made the right decision with the Big Bend BS. I had a BL on order, with the package, steely look alikes etc...I decided against buying it. I saved almost $8K and I'm not a real "off-roader" either. The BB will satisfy all of my needs. I like the earlier advice given for off-roading, 'remember you have to drive it home.' With that in mind, you'll do fine! Happy motoring!
I like that advice too. Also, that pertains to knowing your limits as a driver. I don't know much and going off roading will be literally hitting some dirt roads and maybe do a climb lol. Anways, I'm glad to hear someone who went against the BL because that's the one thing that keeps lingering in my brain. Should I have gotten the badlands?? Than again, the gas mileage and the money saved on purchase, along with the BB suiting my needs is what keeps me reminding myself that I made the correct choice.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I like that advice too. Also, that pertains to knowing your limits as a driver. I don't know much and going off roading will be literally hitting some dirt roads and maybe do a climb lol. Anways, I'm glad to hear someone who went against the BL because that's the one thing that keeps lingering in my brain. Should I have gotten the badlands?? Than again, the gas mileage and the money saved on purchase, along with the BB suiting my needs is what keeps me reminding myself that I made the correct choice.
Unless you plan on regularly doing some very serious offroading the Badlands is overkill. Engine performance for on road driving is personal preference.

When I bought my Crosstrek back in 2018, I'd have 100% gotten a non Badlands Sport instead. At that time I was just using it to get to lakes with my kayak.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Middle aged woman here that owns a Subaru Crosstrek and an Outer Banks BS. I guarentee that I can out ride you in either. I own 30 acres with no pavement to be seen on any of it. You probably drive a shit SUV or maybe a pinto? and BTW both are brand new...cause I can afford them. Also, I have a lifted GMC that will run over you if necessary tough guy. Bring it...
While I get the frustration, I think it was more tongue in cheek banter and brand support. It's kind of a guy thing measuring happens all the time...I wouldn't take it personal and I'd agree your point on experience and ability is bigger than anything regardless of vehicle. The Bronco Sport is a well equipped small SUV. Subaru builds a good vehicle. It's preference.
For years "American made" was a big deal. Jack Roush was so brand loyal foreign cars were not permitted on his lots. Legend has it he paid an employee in Japanese Yen for showing up in a Japanese manufactured car. Heck today some Hondas employee more American labor than "big three" American manufacturing. See:Bronco Sport hecho en mexico...

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
The Forester I test drove did the same thing. It was like I had to say please each time to get it to accelerate and it would think about it. I drove an outback and it didn't do it but the Outback had a lousy roof rack system.
Sponsored